Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

Cubs look like the better bet on paper tonight, but we'll see.  Freeland is pitching on short rest, which doesn't bode well for him.  However, the Rockies could go bullpen heavy as their bullpen has been really solid down the stretch.

Honestly, it probably comes down to whether or not Lester is getting the outside corner called tonight or not.  If he gets squeezed, I'm liking the Cubs' chances a whole lot less.

I'm pretty upbeat this morning, surprisingly.  But I suppose that having to go to the ER earlier yesterday and finding out I WASN'T having a pulmonary embolism is one way to not sweat things like professional sports for awhile.  

It certainly sucks to get bumped from the playoffs already, but was this team really going to be able to contend with everything that happened?  The bullpen was exhausted and short-handed with the Morrow and Edwards injuries.  The offense was neutered with KB's shoulder, Meatball's back injury, and Willy's terrible year.  They were really, really lucky to even be in the playoffs this year, and even if they were clicking, I wouldn't have put great odds on them being able to take down the Dodgers in the NLCS.  Of course anything can happen in the playoffs, but I just wasn't feeling it with this team this year.  Too much went wrong.  Regroup this offseason, and kick *** next year.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm pretty upbeat this morning, surprisingly.  But I suppose that having to go to the ER earlier yesterday and finding out I WASN'T having a pulmonary embolism is one way to not sweat things like professional sports for awhile.  

Glad to hear you're alright!

25 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I have 2 main thoughts here:

1. Glad to hear you're okay man.
2. I'm kind of bummed because I was really looking forward to making fun of you today, but this hospital trip and life threatening emergency really cut the momentum I had down.

I'm mostly thinking 1, but I'd be lying if I said 2 wasn't there.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I have 2 main thoughts here:

1. Glad to hear you're okay man.
2. I'm kind of bummed because I was really looking forward to making fun of you today, but not feel like you really cut the momentum out from it.

I'm mostly thinking 1, but I'd be lying if 2 wasn't there.

Haha.  Feel free to talk all the **** you want.  I would be a little disappointed if you didn't. 

Gonna be a busy and fun offseason, even if it is starting a month earlier than we had hoped.  A few thoughts:

1.  Fire Chili Davis.  

2.  See if you can find a taker for Chatwood for $5 million a year for the next 2 years.  Just eat the rest.  The return doesn't matter.  Just get rid of him.  I'm sure there is a rebuilding club that would take that gamble to see if he could turn it around.

3.  Decline Hamels's option but try to resign him for 2 years at a little less.  It pushes Montgomery back to the swingman role, where he is most effective.  If they come out of the gates firing like they ended the year, Lester/Hendricks/Hamels/Quintana and a healthy Darvish is a beastly rotation.  Smyly is waiting in the wings somewhere as well, which unfortunately probably means no Hamels.

4.  Resign Jesse Chavez to a 1 year deal with a mutual option for 2020.  

5.  Let the rest of the free agents walk (Justin Wilson/Daniel Murphy/Brandon Kintzler/All the other reclamation RP projects)

6.  Explore trading Happ to see if you can pick up any kind of value for him.  They missed the boat on capitalizing on his solid rookie year last year.  I also trade Caratini this offseason as well, if something useful can be acquired.  I think La Stella may be intriguing to a few teams in need of 2B help as well.

7.  Sign Bryce Harper, obviously.  

8.  Sign a defense first veteran backup catcher.  Someone in the Rene Rivera mold.

9.  Sign a backup utility IF that is capable of playing SS.  Maybe a Freddy Galvis on a reasonable 2 year deal?

10.  Look for another Cishek type steal in what looks to be a fairly jam-packed reliever market this offseason.  I'll say....Kelvin Herrera since he had a down year this past year. Or maybe the Happ/Caratini/LaStella package nets a really nice reliever?

C: Willson Contreras

1B: Anthony Rizzo

2B: Ben Zobrist

SS: Javy Baez

3B: Kris Bryant

LF: Kyle Schwarber/Bryce Harper

CF: Jason Heyward/Albert Almora

RF: Bryce Harper/Jason Heyward

Bench: David Bote (3B/2B/1B/LF/SS in a pinch); Freddy Galvis type (SS/2B); Rene Rivera type (C/1B in a pinch)

SP: Jon Lester

SP: Kyle Hendricks

SP: Jose Quintana

SP: Yu Darvish

SP: Mike Montgomery/Drew Smyly/Alec Mills

CL: Brandon Morrow

RP - Pedro Strop

RP - Steve Cishek

RP - Jesse Chavez

RP - Carl Edwards

RP - Brian Duensing (unless he can't regain his pre-injury form again, then cut him in offseason and eat the salary)

RP - Kevin Herrera type FA signing

RP - The one of Montgomery/Smyly that didn't make the rotation

I guess this assumes that Happ/Caratini/La Stella were all dealt for prospects.  Or you can replace the Herrera signing with a cost-controlled good reliever that was acquired with those other guys.  I know Happ won't really be dealt, but that's what I would look to do. I honestly think Meatball has a chance of getting dealt if the Cubs can pull of a Harper signing.  

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Gonna be a busy and fun offseason, even if it is starting a month earlier than we had hoped.  A few thoughts:

1.  Fire Chili Davis.  

2.  See if you can find a taker for Chatwood for $5 million a year for the next 2 years.  Just eat the rest.  The return doesn't matter.  Just get rid of him.  I'm sure there is a rebuilding club that would take that gamble to see if he could turn it around.

3.  Decline Hamels's option but try to resign him for 2 years at a little less.  It pushes Montgomery back to the swingman role, where he is most effective.  If they come out of the gates firing like they ended the year, Lester/Hendricks/Hamels/Quintana and a healthy Darvish is a beastly rotation.  Smyly is waiting in the wings somewhere as well, which unfortunately probably means no Hamels.

4.  Resign Jesse Chavez to a 1 year deal with a mutual option for 2020.  

5.  Let the rest of the free agents walk (Justin Wilson/Daniel Murphy/Brandon Kintzler/All the other reclamation RP projects)

6.  Explore trading Happ to see if you can pick up any kind of value for him.  They missed the boat on capitalizing on his solid rookie year last year.  I also trade Caratini this offseason as well, if something useful can be acquired.  I think La Stella may be intriguing to a few teams in need of 2B help as well.

7.  Sign Bryce Harper, obviously.  

8.  Sign a defense first veteran backup catcher.  Someone in the Rene Rivera mold.

9.  Sign a backup utility IF that is capable of playing SS.  Maybe a Freddy Galvis on a reasonable 2 year deal?

10.  Look for another Cishek type steal in what looks to be a fairly jam-packed reliever market this offseason.  I'll say....Kelvin Herrera since he had a down year this past year. Or maybe the Happ/Caratini/LaStella package nets a really nice reliever?

C: Willson Contreras

1B: Anthony Rizzo

2B: Ben Zobrist

SS: Javy Baez

3B: Kris Bryant

LF: Kyle Schwarber/Bryce Harper

CF: Jason Heyward/Albert Almora

RF: Bryce Harper/Jason Heyward

Bench: David Bote (3B/2B/1B/LF/SS in a pinch); Freddy Galvis type (SS/2B); Rene Rivera type (C/1B in a pinch)

SP: Jon Lester

SP: Kyle Hendricks

SP: Jose Quintana

SP: Yu Darvish

SP: Mike Montgomery/Drew Smyly/Alec Mills

CL: Brandon Morrow

RP - Pedro Strop

RP - Steve Cishek

RP - Jesse Chavez

RP - Carl Edwards

RP - Brian Duensing (unless he can't regain his pre-injury form again, then cut him in offseason and eat the salary)

RP - Kevin Herrera type FA signing

RP - The one of Montgomery/Smyly that didn't make the rotation

I guess this assumes that Happ/Caratini/La Stella were all dealt for prospects.  Or you can replace the Herrera signing with a cost-controlled good reliever that was acquired with those other guys.  I know Happ won't really be dealt, but that's what I would look to do. I honestly think Meatball has a chance of getting dealt if the Cubs can pull of a Harper signing.  

I wouldn't deal anybody for a reliever given how volatile they can be, but that's probably just me. Agree with the rest though. Also glad you're okay

Edited by Breesus mode

31 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

I wouldn't deal anybody for a reliever given how volatile they can be, but that's probably just me. Agree with the rest though. Also glad you're okay

Probably the correct thought, given how loaded this reliever FA class is.