Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Ben Cherington was involved and you're only making my point I think. 

No, I completely agree about the point of this FO being familiar with those guys, and that fact potentially making a deal more likely.  No argument there.  

I'm just saying that you are the 3rd poster on this board today to incorrectly attribute the drafting of Betts and JBJ to Cherington.  He was part of the FO that drafted them for sure, but it was still while Theo was the GM of Boston.  He gets the majority of the credit for those guys, just as he gets the hate for that awful Carl Crawford contract.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

@hrubes20 what else would the Cubs likely get in addition to Devers, JBJ, and Rodriguez in a trade of Kris Bryant? Not what you feel is deserved per say, but what would expect extra to  be included at minimum. Just curious.

I don't think that type of a deal would work for the position the Cubs are in.  They need the impact during this window, not quality players at multiple positions who don't have the impact.  

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I don't think that type of a deal would work for the position the Cubs are in.  They need the impact during this window, not quality players at multiple positions who don't have the impact.  

It's a question for the hypothetical situation where the Cubs do make that kind of trade however. Aside from pitching, what are the Cubs needs?

10 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

It's a question for the hypothetical situation where the Cubs do make that kind of trade however. Aside from pitching, what are the Cubs needs?

But what is the point of a hypothetical trade that has 0% chance of happening?  It would be like me saying what else do the Cubs need to add to Albert Almora, Ian Happ, and Mike Montgomery to get Benintendi.  

But as for the Cubs' needs, they will be looking for an impact bat, a MIF capable of playing SS, a backup defensive-minded C, and probably bullpen help.  They don't need starting pitching, especially if they decide to exercise the option on Cole Hamels, who was brilliant in his 12 starts as a Cub.  

6 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Per ESPN 1000 radio host David Kaplan,

“I was told by somebody I trust that Kris Bryant may have turned down a big, big extension within the last several months and that they’ve now tabled discussions…with his agent being Scott Boras who is known for taking most of his clients to free agency, if you can’t sign this guy long term…do you consider moving him? The guy I asked said ‘Absolutely.'”

https://dawindycity.com/2018/10/10/chicago-cubs-rumors-trading-bryant/

Kaplan is an idiot. The very next day after that report came out, it came out that the contract offer that he rejected was from last January. It wasn’t “a couple months ago,” it was *last offseason*. He rejected their offer so he could play under his arbitration contract.  He’s under team control with arb until 2021. There’s no reason for anyone to panic right now, he’s just trying to build his value.

He also knew that if he didn't sign last offseason, the Harper and Machado contracts this offseason would give him leverage for more money.

Maybe he goes to Free Agency, but the time to worry about that isn't now.