Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

55 minutes ago, pwny said:

Also assume with only Duensing and Rosario as lefties out of the pen (plus Monty as the 6th starter), we’ll be targeting some lefty relievers this offseason.

For sure.  I actually was interested in seeing Smyly come out of the pen this year, as he's been really effective there prior to his injury.  But I obviously get the allure of Cole Hamels on what amounts to a 1 year, $13 million contract.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:30 PM, Blazer026 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2019.html

These predictions are usually way off, but how would you guys feel about signing McCutch. 

I'd like it if we don't get Harper. 

His bat would certainly be a nice addition, and I've always like him as a player.  Could be a nice leadoff option with that OBP and the veteran presence would certainly be appreciated.  Once I got over my sadness from missing out on Harper, I'd be good with it.  

Tons of "Cubs aren't going to spend" talk so far this offseason.  I don't buy it.  I mean they may end up losing out on Harper/Machado anyway, but it won't be due to a lack of trying.  You don't pick up the Hamels option if you are concerned about not being able to afford a Bryce Harper.

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Tons of "Cubs aren't going to spend" talk so far this offseason.  I don't buy it.  I mean they may end up losing out on Harper/Machado anyway, but it won't be due to a lack of trying.  You don't pick up the Hamels option if you are concerned about not being able to afford a Bryce Harper.

But maybe you pick it up if your intent is to stay below the luxury tax and not spend on Harper at all...

I’m honestly going to be livid if they don’t go strong after Harper or Machado. It would mean they lied to fans when they said the reason they didn’t add a hitter last offseason is because they wanted to have it available for this group.

4 hours ago, pwny said:

But maybe you pick it up if your intent is to stay below the luxury tax and not spend on Harper at all...

I’m honestly going to be livid if they don’t go strong after Harper or Machado. It would mean they lied to fans when they said the reason they didn’t add a hitter last offseason is because they wanted to have it available for this group.

If this is the case, I riot.  What good is having a gigantic financial advantage over the rest of the NL Central if you aren't going to exercise it?  

21 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

If this is the case, I riot.  What good is having a gigantic financial advantage over the rest of the NL Central if you aren't going to exercise it?  

The Ricketts need more money to spend on political candidates. They can’t be expected to use that money on the Cubs.

I’m only partially kidding.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

The Ricketts need more money to spend on political candidates. They can’t be expected to use that money on the Cubs.

I’m only partially kidding.

I won't complain at all about the Ricketts.  Their purchasing of the team was when this thing turned around.  I will, however, complain about the entirety of baseball owners as a whole.  I actually do think there may be collusion happening.

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What kind of deal do you think Josh Donaldson is going to get?

No idea, but I would bet he is targeting a 4 year deal given that he's entering his age 33 season.  Even if he balls out in 2019, what team is willing to throw more years and dollars at him as a 34 year old?

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

No idea, but I would bet he is targeting a 4 year deal given that he's entering his age 33 season.  Even if he balls out in 2019, what team is willing to throw more years and dollars at him as a 34 year old?

He's going to be hard pressed to get a 4 year deal with a significant AAV given the season he just came off.  Kiley McDaniel has him projected at 3 years, $54M.  MLBTR is a bit more bullish projecting him at 1 year, $20M.  Spotrac has him at 3 years, $54M as well.  If he wants that fourth year, you're probably taking something off that AAV.  Maybe 4 years, $60-$64M?  Not sure I a team handing out a long-term contract for a 33 year old coming off an injury plagued year.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's going to be hard pressed to get a 4 year deal with a significant AAV given the season he just came off.  Kiley McDaniel has him projected at 3 years, $54M.  MLBTR is a bit more bullish projecting him at 1 year, $20M.  Spotrac has him at 3 years, $54M as well.  If he wants that fourth year, you're probably taking something off that AAV.  Maybe 4 years, $60-$64M?  Not sure I a team handing out a long-term contract for a 33 year old coming off an injury plagued year.

4/64 sounds about right.  That's the Justin Turner deal.

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

4/64 sounds about right.  That's the Justin Turner deal.

Justin Turner was also coming off a 5 WAR season in which he played in 151 games.  Donaldson is coming off a 1.3 WAR season in which he played in 52 games.  That's his high point IMO.