Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, Blazer026 said:

So what do we think of Wisdom and Schwindel? I think Schwindel proved himself for next year at least. 

Wisdom I’m not totally sold on. Strikes our way too much 

Obviously you have to give Schwindel a little more run.  What he did was absurd.  He's not a 163 wRC+ guy going forward, but his underlying periphs show a guy that honestly could be in the 120-130 wRC+ range.  That's mostly where Rizz has been since 2016.  You jump at the chance for that for the league minimum.  Obviously he's not a super long-term option, given his age, but he looks to be a solid player for at least a few years.

Wisdom is fine as a bench player.  He's plays a good defensive 3B and obviously has some pop.  I don't want him starting next year, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Any thoughts @hrubes20?

I like it.  He was directly responsible for a player development unit in Cleveland that has continuously produced starting pitching.  The Cubs have obviously struggled horribly in that department the past decade or so.  No guarantee it helps things there, but it certainly can't hurt.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Japanese hitters not named Ohtani have done poorly after coming over lately, but I still really want the Cubs to win the bidding for Seiya Suzuki.  If only so that it gives me another reason to watch the games on non-Stroman or Hendricks days.

9 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Japanese hitters not named Ohtani have done poorly after coming over lately, but I still really want the Cubs to win the bidding for Seiya Suzuki.  If only so that it gives me another reason to watch the games on non-Stroman or Hendricks days.

I need some excitement for this team outside of recently acquired prospects.

I’ve read that they may be in on Schwarber and Rizzo recently.  I know I’m just going to get hurt again when they sign elsewhere.  I’ve already accepted that KB is gone for good, as sad as it is to say even months after he was traded.

The Correa talk was fun, but i feel like it’s losing steam and Boras will F it all up.

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Appears Suzuki is signing here for 5 years/$70m.  Nothing official announced yet.

Rizzo back to the Yanks 💔

Well that definitely makes this team more appealing on non-Stroman or Hendricks days!  Suzuki was a GG RF in Japan.  I wonder if they try to shoehorn him into CF for a year or two or if they will just bench Heyward.  My vote is to just bench Heyward.  Give Suzuki a bunch of run in RF and keep CF essentially open for Brennen Davis when he will almost surely make his debut late in the year.  

Signing Suzuki away from the Pads may have some bigger implications in the trade market as well.  SD has been quite open about being willing to trade prospects to a team willing to take on either Hosmer or Myers.  They want to use the money for Freeman.  Hosmer has 4/$59 left on his deal and Myers has 2/$40.  Both are terrible, of course, but it would be a wise use of money if the prospects coming back were good enough.  Of course, Scrooge McRicketts probably clamped down on the wallet immediately after the Suzuki deal.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Well that definitely makes this team more appealing on non-Stroman or Hendricks days!  Suzuki was a GG RF in Japan.  I wonder if they try to shoehorn him into CF for a year or two or if they will just bench Heyward.  My vote is to just bench Heyward.  Give Suzuki a bunch of run in RF and keep CF essentially open for Brennen Davis when he will almost surely make his debut late in the year.  

Signing Suzuki away from the Pads may have some bigger implications in the trade market as well.  SD has been quite open about being willing to trade prospects to a team willing to take on either Hosmer or Myers.  They want to use the money for Freeman.  Hosmer has 4/$59 left on his deal and Myers has 2/$40.  Both are terrible, of course, but it would be a wise use of money if the prospects coming back were good enough.  Of course, Scrooge McRicketts probably clamped down on the wallet immediately after the Suzuki deal.  

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

10 hours ago, bootsy said:

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

If the Cubs spend $70-80 million more this offseason so that they are at least bumping the first LT tier, I will retract my statement.  But there is literally no other reason for a cash cow like the Cubs to be spending in the realm of the Milwaukee Brewers.  

• 3 weeks later...

The rotation is gonna be awful this year.  Hopefully Kilian and his bumped up stuff can progress quickly through AAA and be in Chicago by the end of the year.  

On the plus side, the offense could be kind of fun to watch if Frazier's resurgence is legit.  

On 4/6/2022 at 12:36 PM, hrubes20 said:

The rotation is gonna be awful this year.  Hopefully Kilian and his bumped up stuff can progress quickly through AAA and be in Chicago by the end of the year.  

On the plus side, the offense could be kind of fun to watch if Frazier's resurgence is legit.  

Rotation’s at least better than last year, but that’s not saying much. Steele intrigues me. I think I’m more worried about the bullpen.