Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

Definitely surprised we didn’t move Willy or Happ. Figured it was a good time to sell Happ when his stock was high. As for Willy, hard to imagine we couldn’t get a package that ends up being better than the QO pick. Hoping we extend him now. 

14 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Definitely surprised we didn’t move Willy or Happ. Figured it was a good time to sell Happ when his stock was high. As for Willy, hard to imagine we couldn’t get a package that ends up being better than the QO pick. Hoping we extend him now. 

An extension is the only way this isn't a complete failure.  There is no way that the offers were worse than a 2nd round comp pick.  

I agree on Happ.  I wanted to sell high, but I can understand holding to a price point with him.  He's still got another year of control.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cody Bellinger signed to take over in CF.  Good roll of the dice, IMO.  He was a monster in 2019, winning the MVP, and then he got hurt and couldn't get it back.  Only a 1 year deal so there isn't any downside.

Jameson Taillon signed to a 4 year deal as well.  Not as big of a fan of this one, as he's had multiple arm injuries and/or surgeries.  Committing 4 years to a guy like that isn't usually a good bet.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 3:13 PM, CWood21 said:

I mean, that's not saying much.  But $25M/year for a ~3 WAR shortstop isn't the best value.

It's almost exactly the "value" of a 3 Win player, when considering a Win is worth around $8 million or so last I checked.  The deal doesn't bother me as much as Swanson's bat does.  I don't like giving deals over 3 years to players that don't have a history of putting up offense.

• 3 months later...

Another new season, and another season with no expectations to compete.  Sigh.  Hopefully the guys in the upper minors stay healthy all year and get cups of coffee at the end of the year.  Trade Happ for the best return and the September OF could be Brennen Davis/Pete Crow-Armstrong/Seiya Suzuki.  That's fun.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

3 year extension for Happ. 61 million. I’m happy with the length of that deal. 

I think that's a pretty hefty price, yearly, for Happ. Good on him for getting $20+ Million but I'm not sure that's somewhere I'd want to go with a hitter of his caliber. Same with someone like Brandon Nimmo who just got 8/162 from Cohen and the Mets. If that's the going rate for even decent hitting these days, small market teams are going to be cycling through bats out the rear end.

39 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think that's a pretty hefty price, yearly, for Happ. Good on him for getting $20+ Million but I'm not sure that's somewhere I'd want to go with a hitter of his caliber. Same with someone like Brandon Nimmo who just got 8/162 from Cohen and the Mets. If that's the going rate for even decent hitting these days, small market teams are going to be cycling through bats out the rear end.

Yeah, might be a little high. Next years FA OF group looks below average so I don’t mind it, especially since it’s only 3 years. 

19 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Yeah, might be a little high. Next years FA OF group looks below average so I don’t mind it, especially since it’s only 3 years. 

It's the premium you pay to go on a short term deal.  Dodgers have done this very well over the years to certain players.  Benintendi got 5/75 this past offseason and wasn't as good as Happ.  Happ was likely looking at around 5/90 this offseason, given how terrible the FA market looks.  Cubs basically said we will pay you $2 million more per year for what is likely the rest of your prime years, just so that we don't have to pay you anything for your decline years.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Well this is fun.  I forgot what it felt like to actually be engaged with the big league team games in August.  3 games back in division.  2.5 games back for a WC spot.  

It's been a fun few weeks, for sure, especially that last 2 days. Canelario came here with guns blazing.