Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

12 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Has Wilson pitched a good game for us yet?

No.  He has been absurdly bad.  Straight fastball that he can't command and no semblance of the plus slider he had in Detroit.  If he has any options left, he needs to take some time in Iowa to clear his head.  Straight up got the yips.

I want Maples to get a shot.  I'm sure he'll come up in September, but I want him to take Wilson's spot right now.  Or Grimm's.  He's been terrible as well.

Lester to the 10 day DL with shoulder fatigue.  Dead arm would make some sense, as his velo was a tick down yesterday.  Grimm also to the DL with finger infection.  Apparently he had his thumb up his bunghole for too long.  Zastryzny and Pena recalled to take their places, which inspires confidence in no one.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:57 PM, Breesus mode said:

Can we just be healthy for once? Everybody is getting injured this year.

It's been rough, but the injury gods are only averaging everything out after the great health luck in 2016.  

Hendricks is slowly but steadily regaining his velocity.  I've seen multiple 87's today.  That's pretty huge.

I have to respect the hell out of Joe for last night.  Cubs up huge in the 9th inning and the Reds plunk Bryant and Rizzo back to back.  I don't think they were intentional, but lots of other managers would let their pitcher go right at the first opposing hitter they faced in the next half-inning.  Maddon specifically warned Pena against doing such a thing.  Maddon leaves me scratching my head plenty of times, but this wasn't one of them.  Kudos to you, Joe.

Also, KB's wrist better be ok.  Xrays were negative,  but I won't unclench until I get something definite.

On 8/29/2017 at 8:57 PM, Blazer026 said:

Arrieta has been pretty damn good since the break.

He really has been.  Great to see, and also good for his checkbook once he hits the open market.  

Didn't know this until I saw it on the broadcast, but the Cubs have scored more than any other team in baseball since the ASB.  The bats are coming alive at the right time.  Hopefully Lester comes back refreshed and the bullpen can sort through its issues.  Wilson actually looked really good last night for the first time in a Cubs uniform.  

On 8/31/2017 at 11:21 AM, hrubes20 said:

He really has been.  Great to see, and also good for his checkbook once he hits the open market.  

Didn't know this until I saw it on the broadcast, but the Cubs have scored more than any other team in baseball since the ASB.  The bats are coming alive at the right time.  Hopefully Lester comes back refreshed and the bullpen can sort through its issues.  Wilson actually looked really good last night for the first time in a Cubs uniform.  

And then the bats forget how to hit and drop a few games in a row, aided by some more bullpen blowups.  I truly have zero confidence in this team right now.  Addy is out for a few more weeks.  Lester looked like crap again, even after taking the DL stint as a breather.  Jake is now out 7-10 days with a very minor hammy strain.  Javy is battling thumb issues (and maybe lingering effects of getting smacked in the head?).  Just too much going wrong right now to feel good about the team's chances in October.  The rest of the division is playing uninspired ball as well, so it still looks really likely that they make it to the postseason, but they are gonna need some serious help to advance.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Always good to sweep the Cardinals. Hopefully we look better against the brewers this upcoming week, last series against them was absolutely awful.

I'm predicting the offense will be a good deal better.  Both Contreras and Russell have been locked in since coming off the DL and now Nelson is on the shelf for the Brewers.  

Magic number is 10. We have a 6 game lead over the Cards and 4 games over the Brewers. And 13 games to go. Would take a sizable collapse to not wrap up the division. Hope we can get it wrapped up with a few games to go so that we can get pitching some rest and get them in the right order. Let a few guys get some rest too.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:18 AM, iPwn said:

Magic number is 10. We have a 6 game lead over the Cards and 4 games over the Brewers. And 13 games to go. Would take a sizable collapse to not wrap up the division. Hope we can get it wrapped up with a few games to go so that we can get pitching some rest and get them in the right order. Let a few guys get some rest too.

Now at 9 after last night's win.  That was a big one, considering Archer was the opposing pitcher.  

Davis pitched for the 4th time in 5 days and was filthy.  That's very reassuring as we potentially head into the playoffs.