Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

It annoys me to see Candelario doing well for Detroit and Wilson being so terrible. I guess we did kinda need Avila last year though, so it's not as bad. 

I'm more happy for Candelario than anything.  He literally was never going to see the field in Chicago if not for a catastrophic injury.  Avila was huge in 2017 after Willy went on the DL for a few months.  There is still time for Wilson to get his crap together this year.  It's weird that a RP could be so good for 2.5 years, and then immediately become terrible in Chicago without losing any stuff.  Did Wilson grow up a Cards fan or something?

30 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

4 game sweep of the Brewers with 3 shutouts. All the pitching was great this series. 

This is the rotation we all envisioned when the season started.  Great to see every one of them pitch great in their most recent start.  

Crazy to see how this team is only .5 games out of 1st place and 5 games over .500 considering how terrible the SPs started out, how terrible Rizzo has been, all the missed games of Bryzzo early on, Zobrist going on the shelf, and Russell starting terribly. 

Of course, a huge reason is Javy Baez destroying the ball.  Even in his 0-4 day today, he had 2 of the hardest hit balls of the game.  K rate is still only 21.2%.  

So this Luke Farrell character is really interesting in a full-time reliever role.  At least he is based on the assumption that the stuff he is showing can stick.  He was sitting 93-95 last night with a really good slider.  This is a big jump in velo for him, as he was always around 91 before.  He faced the first 4 hitters in the Colorado order last night and pitched a clean 1.1 innings with 2 Ks.  It was even higher leverage as well, as the Cubs only had a 1 run lead.  I am absolutely intrigued.  If he can keep his stuff there, and if Wilson doesn't show something terrific here shortly, I honestly considering waiving Wilson when Butler is healthy again.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

So this Luke Farrell character is really interesting in a full-time reliever role.  At least he is based on the assumption that the stuff he is showing can stick.  He was sitting 93-95 last night with a really good slider.  This is a big jump in velo for him, as he was always around 91 before.  He faced the first 4 hitters in the Colorado order last night and pitched a clean 1.1 innings with 2 Ks.  It was even higher leverage as well, as the Cubs only had a 1 run lead.  I am absolutely intrigued.  If he can keep his stuff there, and if Wilson doesn't show something terrific here shortly, I honestly considering waiving Wilson when Butler is healthy again.

Do you think that Butler is worth hanging on to? So far he has had two really good outings, two solid ones, and two fairly bad ones. I feel like if we had a bit more starting pitching depth behind him he would be exposed to waivers. I don't want to keep trotting him out there based upon his ability to mop-up against the Marlins. He's still a long reliever that walks people and doesn't strike anyone out. 

I guess it depends on if you think that Butler, who wasn't any good, suddenly got better, or if Wilson, who used to be really good, will never be good again. 

Edited by Lions017

12 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Do you think that Butler is worth hanging on to? So far he has had two really good outings, two solid ones, and two fairly bad ones. I feel like if we had a bit more starting pitching depth behind him he would be exposed to waivers. I don't want to keep trotting him out there based upon his ability to mop-up against the Marlins. He's still a long reliever that walks people and doesn't strike anyone out. 

I guess it depends on if you think that Butler, who wasn't any good, suddenly got better, or if Wilson, who used to be really good, will never be good again. 

For me it boils down to Butler's ability to start some games if we lose multiple SPs to injury.  Tseng gets hit too hard.  Mills doesn't look servicable right now.  Alzolay is the wild card there, but he only has made 3 AAA starts this year (2 great, 1 bad).  Butler is probably the best option there as a guy that doesn't allow hard contact and gets tons of groundballs.  Wilson has been an unmitigated disaster since coming over.  He has gotten into his own head, and I don't see him getting out of it.  If every hitter just stood there with the bat on their shoulder, I'm not convinced Wilson could get 3 outs before walking in 3 runs.

51 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

You're going again today, right @iPwn?  If you don't and Yu struggles, it's on you.

Sadly at work. And on my 30th birthday, how awful is that?

However, my girlfriend goes to a game with her dad every year, and today is their game. So they should hopefully be bringing the good luck. 

19 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Sadly at work. And on my 30th birthday, how awful is that?

However, my girlfriend goes to a game with her dad every year, and today is their game. So they should hopefully be bringing the good luck. 

Damn you.  A hung slider results in a 2-run bomb.