Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

Eff it.  Blow the thing up and go full-on rebuild again.  It's clear that Ricketts won't make the money available to do this thing right, and I don't want to see this team on the edge of being a contender for the next 3-4 years, but still not being there.

Yu and Willy would both bring back some really nice packages.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Looks like all the prospects we got are really young. Going full rebuild 

4 pure lottery tickets.  Will be fun to monitor, as they all do have a good bit of potential, but it's a horrific return for a bona fide ace with 3 years left of team control at lower than market prices.  Pure salary dump that was mandated by the Ricketts.  

I can't imagine how little the returns for the rest of the guys we inevitably jettison will be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the Pederson signing. He's basically a slightly better, slightly cheaper version of Schwarber. I guess you could argue that Schwarber still has some untapped potential, but Pederson is a solid player. 

Now they just need to scrape together enough coin to get a couple of cheap starters to compete for innings...

3 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I like the Pederson signing. He's basically a slightly better, slightly cheaper version of Schwarber. I guess you could argue that Schwarber still has some untapped potential, but Pederson is a solid player. 

Now they just need to scrape together enough coin to get a couple of cheap starters to compete for innings...

14 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah the Pederson signing is oddly a good signing considering everything else they’re doing.

I agree with you both.  An upgrade to Meatball defensively and pretty similar offensive production, albeit with less upside. I would be happier about the move if Yu hadn't been jettisoned beforehand.