Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

13 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I’ll always be a Cubs fan, but it’s gonna take me a while to actually care about them again.  It just feels pointless right now.

Has there been an explanation as to why the team has gone this route? I've read a whole bunch of articles detailing how we should expect what we've seen over the last couple of days...but next to nothing about the motivation behind it all. 

Is it seriously because the team has become cash poor? And, if so, how on earth did that even happen? 

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Has there been an explanation as to why the team has gone this route? I've read a whole bunch of articles detailing how we should expect what we've seen over the last couple of days...but next to nothing about the motivation behind it all. 

Is it seriously because the team has become cash poor? And, if so, how on earth did that even happen? 

The team isn’t cash poor. The Ricketts told everyone that the Marquee deal was specifically to add cash flow to make resigning these guys easy, and it did in fact add a ton of cash flow. They just decided they wanted to act like they’re cash poor and lowball offers to these guys, because they have things they’d rather be spending their cash on. None of this makes any sense from a money perspective at all, beyond “we want to restrict payroll because we want to spend it on [topic outside this forum’s rules]”.

When we signed Yu, a reporter asked Theo about cash flow going forward and he responded in a way that made it clear that the Ricketts had told him that they already had the money ready to get extensions done and to chase Harper+Kimbrel the next offseason. But when the next offseason rolled around, suddenly they didn’t have any of it, and they had to go searching for money just to get Kimbrel. 

14 minutes ago, pwny said:

When we signed Yu, a reporter asked Theo about cash flow going forward and he responded in a way that made it clear that the Ricketts had told him that they already had the money ready to get extensions done and to chase Harper+Kimbrel the next offseason. But when the next offseason rolled around, suddenly they didn’t have any of it, and they had to go searching for money just to get Kimbrel. 

That's crazy. What are they thinking? 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

That's crazy. What are they thinking? 

Honestly, other than the assumption that they want to be tightwads, nobody has any idea. It was speculated that the Marquee money not being in their pockets is why they didn’t let Theo bid on Harper and they were saving money for extensions. And literally up until we found out what the team got for Kimbrel, literally no one was seriously considering that all three of Anthony, Javy and Kris could be out of the door. 

But it’s also doubly frustrating because Theo ignored pitching when drafting because the Ricketts made it clear to him that they were willing to buy as much pitching as he wanted, and the team telling him they were willing to spend on effectively anything he wanted in Free Agency is a big part of why he so aggressively was willing to trade away prospects for pitching. Like I’m 100% confident that if the Ricketts hadn’t made it clear that we had money for Harper and to get these extensions done, we never trade Eloy for Quintana. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

It is just incredible that this team had one of the deepest group of hitters in the farm system maybe ever, and they came out of this only giving an extension to David Bote.

What happens now? Is there a plan? All these articles I'm reading about the trades don't shed a whole lot of light on the organization's thinking. 

Should we expect them to actually try to re-sign some if these guys this off-season?  Or am i just setting myself up for disappointment?  Do you think Jed is actually in control, or his he just following Rickett’s orders?  A puppet, if you will.

**** man, i almost feel betrayed.  I remember trading for Rizzo, and drafting both Baez and Bryant.  I actually watched the draft on TV when they took Bryant.  Following them in the minors until they were called up, and by that i mean looking for @hrubes20 to give us updates as they progressed through the farm system.  Now to see them sent away because the billionaire owner is too cheap…**** all of this ****.  It’s gonna be hard for me to actually give a **** about the Cubs for a while.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Should we expect them to actually try to re-sign some if these guys this off-season?  Or am i just setting myself up for disappointment?  Do you think Jed is actually in control, or his he just following Rickett’s orders?  A puppet, if you will.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they sent an offer Bryant’s way. I would be shocked if it was enough to actually get him to come back, especially given the Giants will likely be willing to give him a ton. I don’t see it being likely Javy is even given an offer; it seems they want the consistent contact from Madrigal as a lead off guy next to Nico as the middle infielders. And Rizzo is gonna be like 35 by the time this team is competitive again after they just tore this all down, so I can’t see him coming back.

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

What happens now? Is there a plan? All these articles I'm reading about the trades don't shed a whole lot of light on the organization's thinking. 

Your guess is as good as mine. Seems like it’s gonna be a dark 2022 and 2023 at the least though, until these guys are ready to get called up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pwny said:

Your guess is as good as mine. Seems like it’s gonna be a dark 2022 and 2023 at the least though, until these guys are ready to get called up.

As The Who once said, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..." 

On 8/1/2021 at 10:34 AM, Blazer026 said:

I don’t really mind the trades. We weren’t going this year anyway. Only negative about trading them is we can’t try to get another deal done until the offseason now. Hopefully we get at least one of them back 

And that you’ve instead given another team the opportunity to court the player every single day for months. And also made it clear to the player you don’t have a complete commitment to them. 

That’s not great. 

I also think to be “okay with the trade” requires hand waving the last couple years of complete failure in handling these players to the point that they became pending free agents, and we built a roster incapable of competing, in the first place.