Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

Just now, iPwn said:

Sounds like Dillon Maples might have finally figured things out.

Yeah, I posted about him in the other thread.  He figured something out about his sequencing that has helped a lot, but it also doesn't hurt that he found 3-4 mph on his heater, which is really heavy to begin with.  Tons of grounders.

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, I posted about him in the other thread.  He figured something out about his sequencing that has helped a lot, but it also doesn't hurt that he found 3-4 mph on his heater, which is really heavy to begin with.  Tons of grounders.

Lots of murmurs that he'll make the major league roster by the end of the season. 

Does he have a third pitch, or is it just the fastball and Curve?

1 minute ago, Breesus mode said:

Does he have a third pitch, or is it just the fastball and Curve?

He has a slider as well, I believe, but it's not one that he uses that regularly.  The other two pitches are good enough that he could be a really good pen arm without a 3rd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Lots of murmurs that he'll make the major league roster by the end of the season. 

He's Rule 5 eligible this offseason, and any rebuilding team would take a chance on that kind of arm with the season he's had.  He will either be on the 40 man or traded.  He actually seems like a Beane type of acquistion.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

You suggesting what I think you're suggesting?

Yes.  The more I think about it, the more I think Beane would really jump at a package like Almora/Candelario/Albertos/Maples for Gray.  I'm actually not sure the Cubs would deal that much, as they love Almora, but I don't think there is much debate that he's more expendable than Happ right now.

10 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

He's Rule 5 eligible this offseason, and any rebuilding team would take a chance on that kind of arm with the season he's had.  He will either be on the 40 man or traded.  He actually seems like a Beane type of acquistion.  

With the way Gray's value cratered, he and Candelario may be enough

Just now, Breesus mode said:

So the Slider is completely useless?

I'm actually not even sure it's exactly a slider.  But whatever it is, it's only a show-me pitch for the time being.

Not with how much competition there is for Gray.  He's still a MOR starter with 2.5 years of team control left.  

2 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

That's what I thought hrubes was suggesting. I would do that. But I don't know if Beane wouldn't hold him a bit longer in that scenario.

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm actually not even sure it's exactly a slider.  But whatever it is, it's only a show-me pitch for the time being.

Not with how much competition there is for Gray.  He's still a MOR starter with 2.5 years of team control left.  

So its a junk pitch he'll toss every once and a while to mess with hitters.

I wouldn't be so sure about that

So its a junk pitch he'll toss every once and a while to mess with hitters.

I wouldn't be so sure about that

It's certainly possible.  Like I said, Beane is crazy sometimes.  But the market trade price for a solid MOR starter with 2.5 years of team control left should be more than Candelario/Maples.  

It's certainly possible.  Like I said, Beane is crazy sometimes.  But the market trade price for a solid MOR starter with 2.5 years of team control left should be more than Candelario/Maples.  

Absolutely, I'm just saying its possible