Steelers extend HC Mike Tomlin through 2027

SteelKing728

I'd hire Tomlin just on his ability to handle a locker room. It's hard to handle stars when you aren't winning SBs (because who wants to listen to the guy sinking your career?) - yet, somehow, Tomlin keeps a lid on it. I think he's a great coach, but he hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years and it's amazing he hasn't lost the locker room or the FO (BB was outed for pretty similar performance and he gave Boston 6 rings).

This doesn't mean I don't think he's a great coach (you're only as good as your QB), but I'm saying I'd hire him just on the respect he garners from the players.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Plus, he was shackled to Colbert’s parting gift, Kenny Pickett, for those two years. 

So we're pretending like Tomlin's OC didn't completely destroy any chance of Pickett ever developing?

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

This just figures. The ownership doesn't care about winning (but something else that I won't mention here), and they are demonstrating it by extending this guy.

As Mark Madden basically said, Tomlin stopped being a good coach after most of Cowher's vets left.

The only situation that is more screwed up is in Denver, where they have had the same people in the FO since around 2017 that draft the same type of players (tall CB's that can't cover, 4-3 DE's that can't play LB in a 3-4, WR's that can't catch, etc....) every single season. And, while Elway isn't officially on the team's roster of FO people, Sean Payton basically said that he has an office, and I think he still meddles (his nephew, Patrick Walsh, has been there as pro player director since at least 2017).

Why this ownership didn't show Elway and these people the door two years ago is beyond me. These owners wanted Harbaugh, but he refused because they foolishly wouldn't let him fire this FO and bring in his own people. Now, the Broncos will pay for it.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

Probably a bit early to extend him, but what's the harm really? They weren't going to fire him for the 2024 season, and probably wouldn't after the 2025 season unless it goes totally off the rails between now and then. 

If he's really lacking, they ditch him 2026, a year early. 

Some food for thought…

The Steelers haven’t won’t a playoff game for 7 seasons…

They are 3-8 in the playoffs over the last 12 years and 1 of those wins was when Burfict when full stupid gifted them 2 personal foul penalties to give them FG position for a last second FG

I don’t have the exact number but saw a stat that said 20+ different HCs have won a playoff game since Mike Tomlin last won one.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AFF said:

Some food for thought…

The Steelers haven’t won’t a playoff game for 7 seasons…

They are 3-8 in the playoffs over the last 12 years and 1 of those wins was when Burfict when full stupid gifted them 2 personal foul penalties to give them FG position for a last second FG

I don’t have the exact number but saw a stat that said 20+ different HCs have won a playoff game since Mike Tomlin last won one.

yeah but they have 2 QBs now. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

The Steelers haven’t won’t a playoff game for 7 seasons. 

Are playoff wins overrated?

If the goal is to win the SB, why is failing one game closer to the SB better than winning more regular season games, for example? 

Did a 14-3 team that loses in wildcard really have a worse season than a 10-7 team who loses in the divisional?

• Like 2

I think some fans just don't realize how lucky they are. I get it, everyone wants to win the Super Bowl. But you guys don't wanna know whats on the other side. Its Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia waiting to ruin your life. I will gladly keep the coach that always wins no matter what. Just my opinion but once you have a coach who is a proven winner, I'd keep him long term and keep taking shots on QBs in the draft.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Are playoff wins overrated?

If the goal is to win the SB, why is failing one game closer to the SB better than winning more regular season games, for example? 

Did a 14-3 team that loses in wildcard really have a worse season than a 10-7 team who loses in the divisional?

In an individual season or perhaps a smaller sample size…maybe

Over an extended period of time as what I pointed out?…no because it shows what you can do with the upper level teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

This just figures. The ownership doesn't care about winning (but something else that I won't mention here), and they are demonstrating it by extending this guy.

As Mark Madden basically said, Tomlin stopped being a good coach after most of Cowher's vets left.

Should've stopped reading here...

2 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The only situation that is more screwed up is in Denver, where they have had the same people in the FO since around 2017 that draft the same type of players (tall CB's that can't cover, 4-3 DE's that can't play LB in a 3-4, WR's that can't catch, etc....) every single season. And, while Elway isn't officially on the team's roster of FO people, Sean Payton basically said that he has an office, and I think he still meddles (his nephew, Patrick Walsh, has been there as pro player director since at least 2017).

Then read this and laughed my *** off. The idea that there is only one situation in the league that is worse than the Steelers (that's a team that has been to the playoffs 2 out of the last 4 years and hasn't had a losing season in something like 20 years) is actually hilarious.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AFF said:

In an individual season or perhaps a smaller sample size…maybe

Over an extended period of time as what I pointed out?…no because it shows what you can do with the upper level teams.

I think that’s fair but the extended period of time we are referring to is realistically 4 games, right? Two of which, we expected them to lose?

Because, in my mind, it feels like we are effectively saying, let’s get rid of one of the winningest coaches because he’s had 2 bad losses in the last 7 years. 

32 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I think that’s fair but the extended period of time we are referring to is realistically 4 games, right? Two of which, we expected them to lose?

Because, in my mind, it feels like we are effectively saying, let’s get rid of one of the winningest coaches because he’s had 2 bad losses in the last 7 years. 

Well he tends to have 1 baffling loss a year to a team we shouldn’t in the regular season, but who doesn’t have those is my attitude.

But going back on this thought some over the last few trips:

2023 v Bills - Bills 10 point favorites

2021 v Chiefs - Chiefs 11.5 point favorites

2020 v Browns - Steelers 3.5 point favorites

2017 v Jaguars - Steelers 7 point favorites

2016 v Patriots - Patriots 5.5 point favorites

Now against the Browns and Jags we were the home team, and if you know much being the home team is basically a 3 point swing right there so that means in 2020 Vegas saw that game as a toss up, and we were only that much with Cleveland missing a bunch of guys, including their HC, due to COVID.

So really favored 1 time in our last 5 losses in the playoffs. (FWIW that’s the year Shazier was lost for the spine injury where our defense fell apart after him against the run especially).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Well he tends to have 1 baffling loss a year to a team we shouldn’t in the regular season, but who doesn’t have those is my attitude.

But going back on this thought some over the last few trips:

2023 v Bills - Bills 10 point favorites

2021 v Chiefs - Chiefs 11.5 point favorites

2020 v Browns - Steelers 3.5 point favorites

2017 v Jaguars - Steelers 7 point favorites

2016 v Patriots - Patriots 5.5 point favorites

Now against the Browns and Jags we were the home team, and if you know much being the home team is basically a 3 point swing right there so that means in 2020 Vegas saw that game as a toss up, and we were only that much with Cleveland missing a bunch of guys, including their HC, due to COVID.

So really favored 1 time in our last 5 losses in the playoffs. (FWIW that’s the year Shazier was lost for the spine injury where our defense fell apart after him against the run especially).

Agree with everything but I just might add that while I concede he def has stinkers in the regular season, I think that’s baked into the cost of his regular season record.

Basically what I’m saying is, I don’t think most folks are suggesting firing him for his regular season performances, regardless of the dumb losses (that like you said - everyone has).