Basically Randall to FS Thread

ChaRisMa

27 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Moving Randall is silly. They have depth at S and could use more CBs. If it was the other way around and you needed him at S, maybe consider it but he's been good at slot CB, and as is we probably need to find another starting level CB this year.

Not if they view King as a starting level CB going into 2018.  We shall see.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Not if they view King as a starting level CB going into 2018.  We shall see.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Kevin King (if healthy) will be one of our boundary corners.  Randall stays in the slot/STAR role, so that means the boundary corner opposite of King is open.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Who's your second boundary CB? Randall in the slot, King, and who? Still need to find that guy, IMO.

That seems to be the biggest question facing our secondary.  They could look to re-sign Davon House to a modest deal, but I think they need to look long-term for a solution.

Before I would want to make any decisions on players, I want to see what the Packers do (or don't do) with Dom Capers.  While I personally think that while Dom is an excellent person and defensive coach that a change is required.  We need fresh ideas and thoughts brought to this defense.  The overall performance of this defense seems to be going backward.  Statistically this team is near the bottom of the league in some very important defensive statistics...namely Red Zone defense, Third Down Defense (over 5 yards to go), Percentage of Touchdowns Given Up on the First Possession of the Game, Point's Scored in the Last Two Minutes of a Half.  I think we are rated 29th or lower in EACH of these statistics.  That's totally unacceptable. There needs to be someone or someone's held accountable for this.  Thompson's last 5 or 6 drafts have not produced any difference makers on defense.  The Vikings have pro bowl players at all three levels, we have none...nor should we have any after watching this team's performance over the past 14 games.

I have several concerns regarding how we play on defense on passing plays.  First, we rarely really jam receivers any more at the line of scrimmage.  Its almost like the defensive coaches don't teach or don't want the defensive backs to use their hands at the line of scrimmage.  We mirror receivers instead of jamming them.  We seem to give a lot of cushion thereafter and we react poorly at the top of the route tree giving the receiver 2 to 3 yards of separation making it easy for quarterbacks to get the ball to the receiver.  Second, our safeties seem passive and react slowly to plays.  HaHa Clinton Dix seems like a center fielder now who is usually late timing up his arrival at the player with the arrival of the ball.  That one touchdown pass against Carolina last week was a case in point.  He was in the proper position to make a play on the ball and then just seemed to freeze and watched the ball go to the receiver without really reacting to it.  He also use to be a force in the run game, now I don't see him at all near the line of scrimmage.  Is this drop off due to his role changing or performance....I don't know.  Third, the amount of blown coverages is really alarming.  Is our scheme too complex...or are players thinking too much instead of just reacting naturally.  Fourth, the amount of times there is confusion before the ball is snapped is alarming.  Burnett, while the glue to the defense and main signal caller, in my opinion is a descending player (the hamstring injuries are catching up with him) who has lost a step and is 29 years old.  I actually would not resign him if we get a new coordinator who wants to change the scheme.  On the plus side, Randall has played his best football in the past 5 or 6 games.  Part of it could be he's healthy.  This has allowed him to be more physical at the line of scrimmage.  Reminds me of what he looked like as a rookie.  I like him in the slot.  I still wish he'd get a little stronger and jam receivers at the line of scrimmage but I like what I've seen from him.  King has talent and upside, but needs a lot of work on his footwork (as do most rookie cornerbacks that have relied on their speed in college).  He is a good boundary corner.  I'd like to see him take film of Sherman from Seattle and just work him toward that model this offseason.  Get stronger on the top.  Use his hands better at the line of scrimmage.  I think he can do it...its really up to him.  In the next two games, I want to see a lot more of Underwood at safety.  I like his physical tools, but he needs playing time.  So I'd like to see us get one more good corner.

Moving to the front seven, our linebackers really have problems covering backs out of the backfield or sensing screen plays before they happen.  Good tight ends have field days against us and have for the past 5 or 6 years.  The middle of the field always seems wide open.  Couple the above with a real inconsistent pass rush.  We have days where we are getting 4 sacks and good pressure and we have days where we don't seem to even get close to the quarterback.  Sending Martinez on the blitz is a waste of time.  Clay Matthews has lost a step on defense and therefore his pass rush is not as effective anymore.  Nick Perry is always hurt for 4 to 5 games a year.  I personally don't think Mike Daniels is our best defensive lineman anymore....Clark is.  Daniels is still good, but Clark is the one player that I really think is ascending into something.

Sometimes when I look at the personnel on defense, I think we have people that could play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3.   Clark and Daniels would be excellent on the inside in a 4-3.  Clay would make an excellent outside linebacker as he is probably still our most athletic linebacker on the team where his pass rush would be less important and his ability to cover would be more important.  Yes...in a 4-3 we would need two defensive ends, but if we pick 12-14 in the first round I think we could get one (Arden Key) and in the second round if we trade up we could get another one (I like the guy from Florida).

Probably more thoughts here than what the topic called for....but I'm still pretty optimistic overall that with some changes we can turn the corner pretty quickly and get Rodgers another Super Bowl ring.

Sorry everyone...in my post I referred to wanting to see Underwood (don't know why that name came to mind)...I'm interested in seeing Marwin Evans from Utah State.  I really liked what I saw last year in pre-season.  Josh Jones has some potential also, but he seems like a much better player close the to the line of scrimmage.

23 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Our secondary is NEVER healthy. At some point thats a culmination of the wear and tear those bodies have on them. Its weird how certain guys are ALWAYS battling injury. Clay. Randall. House. Rollins. Burnett. Ryan. Perry. Brooks. The list goes on. At some point you have to think the toll of football in making its impression felt.

...and let's figure out why. The front-7 can't get the pass rush needed to take the constant burden off of every secondary player on the field. They routinely have to do much more than they should because they're too busy trying to mask the incredible failures of both Dom, and by extension of course, the front-7.

This is part of the sole reason of why Dom should be fired.

22 hours ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Idk why there is a narrative of Randall just being a slot CB.... Where do you think he was when he shut down Gordon and Funchess. He can play inside or out. Gives us options in this draft.

Agree with this completely, he can play on the outside.

On the flip side, if you're looking at a quad of Randall, Rollins, House, and King, one of those guys is far more physically suited to play the slot than the other 3. Being a slot CB isn't a badge of shame in today's NFL. That's a tough ask for a lot of guys and if you can do it, that's a feather in your cap. 

Archived