2 Round Mock Draft - Volume 3

Rich7sena

Very nice mock.
Some picks i do not like though, lets discuss okay ?
- Crosby to the Panthers. I think he is a T and the Panthers signed Kalil to a fairly big contract and Williams is playing good football on the right so...Unless you think he could replace FA to be Norwell inside ? Same thought for Jamarco Jones to the Lions.
- Hurst to Dallas. Sure he is very good and would help that D but i think they have yet disruptive guys like Collins, Crawford and Irving (if back). Hurst is better than them but they need more a run stuffer to my opinion. Like Vea.
- Vea to Miami. That would be a great duo with Suh and a complementary one but i think Godchaux showed good things and Phillips not great but can play. I do not see the need, same for your 2nd round pick. I do not see the need for a LB.
- Do u think Chubb can play OLB ? I think he is very good, playing pass and run but i see him as a 43 DE, a guy like Derek Barnett. I hope the Colts wont make same mistake they made with Werner and trying to play him out of position in their 34.
- O'Neill to Eagles. I was impressed by his play as a RT but for now im not sure he could play at the same level on the left side ? But maybe ? Because you of course didn't want to replace Lane Johnson with this pick.

Lots of picks sounds smart to me, i like that draft. I just question some of the picks.

21 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

DRAFT

1.13 - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

2.44 - Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia

I like Ridley. 

Dont like Benkert. Not even ranked this high in many boards. Give me Thorson or another position. This assuming that Cousins leaves, and if so, then these picks might be reversed. 

Derwin James is a top 10 talent so I dont hate the pick from that standpoint but the niners have so much talent at safety. He'd have to play LB for us, and that uncertainty might not make him worth our #5 overall pick. 

Not a fan of Sony Michel however I think he's a mid to late round pick plus he's a average to below average receiving back which Shanahan values. But I dont mind the position being addressed. 

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

The Jaguars are a tough team to draft for because I don't believe they have very many needs besides offensive line and maybe quarterback. Drafting and acquiring quality edge rushers year after year is a sound Super Bowl strategy as we've seen with teams like the Giants and Seahawks. To me, edge opposite Ngakoue is a weak link on an awesome defense. From what I've seen, Folwer isn't near the edge defender he was drafted to be and the team often opts to have Campbell rush off the edge even on passing downs.

fowlers is sub-package guy for us because of Ngakoue(he should be a probowler with 11 sacks 6 forced fumbles). Remember we run the Seattle style defense but we've changed it a bit to have both safeties capable of playing single high. 

Campbell is actually a very good pass rusher on the edge. Ive watched the jags more then u and sure hes lined up alot at de but thats what our defense wants him to be. When we go nickle more often then not hes moved inside at dt.  I agree u can never have enough pass rushers but im not even sure the pass rusher you gave us is any good.

Heres a quick list of needs:

TE(lewis is old and no real future starting caliber guy on roster). 

RT: Parnell is turning 32 and josh wells(our 3rd tackle) doesnt seem good. 

c/g: linder is the only good linemen of the 3 starters tho cann is average. Omameh is just a guy. 

depending on free agents we could need a WR(both allen robinson and marquise lee are free agents and hurns can be cut with 0 cap hit), NB(our nickle corner is a free agent), LB(if the teans wants to move hack from sam to mike we need a mike. If we want to keep Jack at sam we need a mike.) 

We could use a draft pick on a qb relatively earlier so we have insurance for blake. 

8 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

Very nice mock.
Some picks i do not like though, lets discuss okay ?
- Crosby to the Panthers. I think he is a T and the Panthers signed Kalil to a fairly big contract and Williams is playing good football on the right so...Unless you think he could replace FA to be Norwell inside ? Same thought for Jamarco Jones to the Lions.

Kalil has been very bad for the Panthers and even if Crosby doesn't start his first year, the team can move on from Kalil with no penalty in 2019. Jamarco would be a RT opposite Decker.
- Hurst to Dallas. Sure he is very good and would help that D but i think they have yet disruptive guys like Collins, Crawford and Irving (if back). Hurst is better than them but they need more a run stuffer to my opinion. Like Vea.

I view Hurst as an undersized all around DL in the mold of Sheldon Rankins or Mike Daniels.
- Vea to Miami. That would be a great duo with Suh and a complementary one but i think Godchaux showed good things and Phillips not great but can play. I do not see the need, same for your 2nd round pick. I do not see the need for a LB.

Taking Vea is doubling down on a strength. Ultimately, I believe Godchaux is a rotational player. Both starters at linebacker for Miami (Timmons and Alonso) aren't great.
- Do u think Chubb can play OLB ? I think he is very good, playing pass and run but i see him as a 43 DE, a guy like Derek Barnett. I hope the Colts wont make same mistake they made with Werner and trying to play him out of position in their 34.

I think Chubb can play either, but there's no clear indication who will be coaching the Colts next season and what their defensive alignment looks like. The Colts aren't dying for an edge player, but I believe he's easily the best player available at that spot.
- O'Neill to Eagles. I was impressed by his play as a RT but for now im not sure he could play at the same level on the left side ? But maybe ? Because you of course didn't want to replace Lane Johnson with this pick.

I believe O'Neill played left tackle this year.

Thanks for the feedback.

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

fowlers is sub-package guy for us because of Ngakoue(he should be a probowler with 11 sacks 6 forced fumbles). Remember we run the Seattle style defense but we've changed it a bit to have both safeties capable of playing single high. 

Campbell is actually a very good pass rusher on the edge. Ive watched the jags more then u and sure hes lined up alot at de but thats what our defense wants him to be. When we go nickle more often then not hes moved inside at dt.  I agree u can never have enough pass rushers but im not even sure the pass rusher you gave us is any good.

The Seattle defense allows for 2 edge rushers in the LEO and SAM positions. Considering Fowler's pedigree (though I wasn't high on him pre-draft), I'd expect him to play either of those positions.

I've heard more of Holland than seen. From what I've heard, he may end up flirting with the first round.

38 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The Seattle defense allows for 2 edge rushers in the LEO and SAM positions. Considering Fowler's pedigree (though I wasn't high on him pre-draft), I'd expect him to play either of those positions.

I've heard more of Holland than seen. From what I've heard, he may end up flirting with the first round.

we really dont use a Sam as a Pass rusher. hes primarily in there for Coverage and run defense. in our Defense because Myles Jack is our Sam he plays Nickle LB with Telvin Smith with Poz checking out of the game. 

i just feel we have Bigger More pressing needs then adding a pass rusher in round 2 when we have 6 Starting Caliber DL and 2 highly thought of Rookies  atleast by the coaching staff (Smoot is a 3rd round rookie and Anoku is a UDFA waiver claim who we kept over Sheldon day).   

edit: im going to look to see whos available after him and then say whos the best choice based on needs. 

so based on round 1 i will suggest going OT or TE and then round 2 come back and hit them with some Billy Price.  

Bengals draft is solid.  But we can't pass on Billy Price if he's there in round two.  With the dearth  of talent available at OT in free agency, I think the bengals are almost forced to target one in the first round.  I like brown more than McGlinchey, but it works.  I know you aren't doing trades here, but if you were, I'd try slipping back to grab Brown,  use their own second rounder on Price and still try to get Jefferson later with the tradeback pick.  

My other thought would be to try to find a starting MLB in free agency.  Minter won't be brought back.  But I'd rather get a LB in free agency and target the line in the draft.

18 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

The Jaguars are a tough team to draft for because I don't believe they have very many needs besides offensive line and maybe quarterback. Drafting and acquiring quality edge rushers year after year is a sound Super Bowl strategy as we've seen with teams like the Giants and Seahawks. To me, edge opposite Ngakoue is a weak link on an awesome defense. From what I've seen, Folwer isn't near the edge defender he was drafted to be and the team often opts to have Campbell rush off the edge even on passing downs.

@FalconFan13 Interesting analysis. From what I watched of the Falcons against Tampa Bay, the team seems to barely deploy Beasley as it is; and when they do, it's often as a sup-package rusher on passing downs. I didn't see him drop much and according to PFF he's only dropped in coverage 29 times. I know the Falcons have a bunch of edge players on the roster and deploy a heavy rotation, but it seems like some of their better players can't consistently break into the lineup. I often saw linebacker #36 in the starting rotation, but it wasn't clear why (he didn't look particularly good).

Thats because we got back Duke Reiley and put Beasley back at DE for the most of that game.  Because Duke has looked overwhelmed and was injured most of the year we had to play beasley at SLB a good bit of the season.   The Bucs game was the 1st game we moved Beasley back to DE for the majority of the game which is exactly where he should be outside of the occasional random drop in coverage.

#36 is Kemal Ishmael he is/was a SS and now does a bit of LB mostly i think and is a pretty solid player for us and can spot start when called upon at LB or SS.  Never will be anything great but he's probably above avg compared to most peoples depth and a great ST player.   Now the reason he was in the starting rotation is once again bc Duke hasn't quite got over injury and needs a little more seasoning.   We started Ishmael at WLB so we could get Campbell back to SLB and Beasley back to DE.    This is sorta why i want Smith if available for the exact reason you said if Ishmael is our starter then we can use a upgrade.   Putting Deion Jones there and Roquan Smith at MLB  would instantly upgrade both spots along with SLB and beasley back to DE.

13 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Jamarco would be a RT opposite Decker.

Ricky Wagner ?

Hurst as an undersized all around DL

Yes but what about Maliek Collins ? Sure both could play together but not the most complementary duo, thats why im thinking more about a NT.

(Timmons and Alonso) aren't great.

But both will be under contract + Raekwon McMillan + Chase Allen + Stephone Anthony. Thats 5 so i do not see them taking a LB early.

who will be coaching the Colts next season and what their defensive alignment looks like.

Thats right !

Kalil has been very bad

But big contract and also there is last year pick of Tayor Moton + Daryl Williams playing nicely.

And...I like to discuss, that is not criticism saying im right or youre wrong, just a discussion...

Archived