5 C’s Players in Danger of Becoming Draft Busts in 2024

https://riggosrag.com/posts/5-commanders-players-danger-entering-draft-bust-status-2024?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email&sc=76406316b2034ef7cc9f40f04f8b84e0792debe356e0766e53610d69579d01e8

These are pretty obvious, but I figured it was a good topic to talk about with training camp coming up in a month and where we think each of these guys will stand on the team and if they will show enough to be an important part of the team in 2025 or, will they either not be re-signed after this year, be cut or buried on the depth chart because someone thinks they wont show anything more than what they've shown so far in their career, which isn't much, or at least not enough.

1. Phil Mathis - We all know the story, I believe all of us feel he was overdrafted by at least a round by Rivera/Mayhew & JDR in 2022 but what happened, happened. Then, he tore his meniscus and missed his rookie season. He didn't make much of an impact last year either in his 2nd season when we really needed him to step up and give Allen/Payne rest as a good rotation piece.

As we know and as the article points out, Newton was drafted in R2 to supplant Mathis & Ridgeway as the top backup to Allen & Payne. As of right now, Mathis is pretty much someone you'd label as a bust. Mathis still has an opportunity to turn his fortunes around this season and I certainly hope he does.

Given Newton’s foot injury, I expect that Mathis will see a lot of reps this training camp and he’ll have a real chance to solidify himself as Allen/Payne’s top back up so we’ll see what happens.

2. Dyami Brown - Dyami is in the same position as Phil Mathis only he's in a contract year so this year is really make or break for Dyami. Dyami has flashed some over the last 2 seasons but has not consistently been a WR that we could rely upon game in, game out. 

The hope/prayer for me is that Dyami does enough to beat out Crowder, McCaffery, and Zacchaeus as the #3 WR but I don't see how anyone can have that as an expectation right now, it's more just a hope/prayer. 

It’d be really nice if he played like he did in 2022 vs the Titans all season. He definitely has the potential, but potential means nothing if you never reach it. 

3. Emmanuel Forbes - Unless something drastically changes this season, it’s looking like Forbes might end up as the worst draft pick that Rivera made in his 4 years as the C’s Director of Football Operations. I really hope that Forbes shocks us all and proves to be a starter this year but given his size and his perceived lack of strength, it’s hard for me to see him beating out Mike Davis, Juice, or Sanristil to be one of our top 3 CBs. 

I see Forbes as our #4 CB this year and primarily just a special teams guy which is damn sad as a first-round pick. What an awful draft choice by Rivera. Passing on Gonzalez, Jack Campbell, Dalton Kincaid, and Anton Harrison for Forbes seems just plain stupid at this point unless by some miracle Forbes breaks out this year.

4. Jahan Dotson - With Curtis Samuel gone and Peters & co. not signing a high-profile FA WR or trading for one… thus far this offseason... Dotson like Dyami has a golden opportunity to break out this year and solidify himself as a starting WR going forward for the C’s.

Although a little undersized at 5’11, 180 Dotson has all the tools needed to become a good starting WR in the league. He's a good route runner, and despite a few untimely drops last year, he has good hands. Plus, despite his size, he really has a knack for high-pointing/locating the ball when it is in the air similar to how Desean Jackson used to do.

That being said, Jahan really has to put it all together this season and have a breakout season with a 60-70 catch season for 750-1000 yards, 6-10 TD season otherwise he runs the risk of being replaced as the #2 WR next year and he’ll probably top out as just a #3/slot WR in the league.

This is one case where I think Jahan reaches his potential this year thanks to better offensive coaching and quarterbacking. 

I think we're looking at a 70 catch, 1000 yd, 8 TD season from Jahan. At least I hope! 🙏 

5. Jamin Davis - I have to admit, I have absolutely zero idea what to expect from Jamin this year. I don't know if he'll line up as a traditional 4-3 LB at all or if he'll basically be used in the LEO position by Quinn/Whitt as a pass rusher in passing situations and a 4-3 LB in running situations or, how much he’ll play at all. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I mean the hope is that Jamin plays 4-3 OLB on run downs and then plays the LEO pass rush position on passing downs and is impactful in that role but it's a total enigma. 

We don't have an impactful edge rusher on this roster so, if Jamin can be that it would be a really welcome surprise. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 3

Great post! Gotta love how 3, 4, and 5 are our first round picks from 2023, 2022, and 2021, respectively. The only other player that I could see being a "bust" this season is Quan Martin. Our secondary has to step up this year to have any shot at the postseason.

• Like 1

Im expecting improvement from all of them.

I don't believe we understand as a whole, just how incompetent, unprepared & directionless this team was under most/all the staff.

Now, whether they live up to their draft status? I'm not sure...

But I won't be shocked, if we see huge improvements from any or all of them. 

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Im expecting improvement from all of them.

I don't believe we understand as a whole, just how incompetent, unprepared & directionless this team was under most/all the staff.

Now, whether they live up to their draft status? I'm not sure...

But I won't be shocked, if we see huge improvements from any or all of them. 

Oh, I understood since Day 1.  

Also, this is a good list from @turtle28.  With how incompetent Rivera was as head coach here, he was equally as incompetent in the front office.  I fully expect Brown, Mathis and Davis to be busts for us.  Brown and Davis are performance-based, Mathis is a bit related to injury.  

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Oh, I understood since Day 1.  

Also, this is a good list from @turtle28.  With how incompetent Rivera was as head coach here, he was equally as incompetent in the front office.  I fully expect Brown, Mathis and Davis to be busts for us.  Brown and Davis are performance-based, Mathis is a bit related to injury.  

For the record, I didn’t come up with the list, as I posted the link to the article, the list is from Riggo’s Rag. I agree though, it’s a good list.

And I think it’s logical that Brown, Mathis and Davis don’t do much for us this year but it’s really anyone’s guess. We don’t have a definite #3 WR even though most people want to just put McCaffery there bc he was Peters’ draft pick, it’s still TBD. I’ve said all along, gun to my head, that I would say Crowder beats out Brown & McCaffery to be our #3 WR & slot WR just based off his experience and the ability he’s shown in the league over his 8 years in the league. 

With Mathis, it’s hard to imagine him getting injured again but anything is possible. If he did, that’d be some damn awful luck. If he’s healthy, I think Mathis has some kind of an impact as a rotation DT.

With Davis it’s also logical that he doesn’t make a huge impact but, he is athletic so perhaps the move to more of an edge rusher role means he’ll make more plays. I can see it happening, it just doesn’t seem very logical. One thing is for sure, Armstrong & Ferrell are average pass rushers, so if Davis flashes at all as an edge rusher, he has a real opportunity to make an impact on this D.

People might not like seeing Jahan on the list, but I think he’s probably been a similar quality of player as Jamin so far.

Jamin was dreadful as a rookie, Jahan was dreadful as a sophomore. In their other seasons, they’ve been mostly playable starters. 

I think some will disagree with me on that assessment, but I think there has to be a degree of difficulty adjustment. It has never been easier to play WR in the league, and it’s never been harder to play LB. All the misdirection in the run game, all the motion and playaction, all the RBs/TEs/slots that are huge weapons in the pass game. It’s a nightmare to be a LB in the league right now, which is why it seems like there’s only 10 good LBs out there. 

I’m willing to invest some hope in Jahan to bounce back because I think the offensive gameplanning was pretty spotty overall last year, and it was a terrible fit for him. But he’s going to need to rebound in a major way to take WR off the list of immediate pressing needs moving forward.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

People might not like seeing Jahan on the list, but I think he’s probably been a similar quality of player as Jamin so far.

Jamin was dreadful as a rookie, Jahan was dreadful as a sophomore. In their other seasons, they’ve been mostly playable starters. 

I think some will disagree with me on that assessment, but I think there has to be a degree of difficulty adjustment. It has never been easier to play WR in the league, and it’s never been harder to play LB. All the misdirection in the run game, all the motion and playaction, all the RBs/TEs/slots that are huge weapons in the pass game. It’s a nightmare to be a LB in the league right now, which is why it seems like there’s only 10 good LBs out there. 

I’m willing to invest some hope in Jahan to bounce back because I think the offensive gameplanning was pretty spotty overall last year, and it was a terrible fit for him. But he’s going to need to rebound in a major way to take WR off the list of immediate pressing needs moving forward.

I am willing to give Jahan a pass on a dreadful sophomore year because of our new offensive coordinator, who thought he had enough credibility to put a rule in place where players could not wear their hat backwards.  

Such draconian rules in the NFL don’t work, and cause resentment, and there is no small wonder the offense was a jumbled mess.  And also not a surprise that he went to college to coach.  

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

For the record, I didn’t come up with the list, as I posted the link to the article, the list is from Riggo’s Rag. I agree though, it’s a good list.

And I think it’s logical that Brown, Mathis and Davis don’t do much for us this year but it’s really anyone’s guess. We don’t have a definite #3 WR even though most people want to just put McCaffery there bc he was Peters’ draft pick, it’s still TBD. I’ve said all along, gun to my head, that I would say Crowder beats out Brown & McCaffery to be our #3 WR & slot WR just based off his experience and the ability he’s shown in the league over his 8 years in the league. 

With Mathis, it’s hard to imagine him getting injured again but anything is possible. If he did, that’d be some damn awful luck. If he’s healthy, I think Mathis has some kind of an impact as a rotation DT.

With Davis it’s also logical that he doesn’t make a huge impact but, he is athletic so perhaps the move to more of an edge rusher role means he’ll make more plays. I can see it happening, it just doesn’t seem very logical. One thing is for sure, Armstrong & Ferrell are average pass rushers, so if Davis flashes at all as an edge rusher, he has a real opportunity to make an impact on this D.

I honestly think Mathis is in danger of being a cut in camp because he’s not really been healthy until this point.  If he’s behind or struggling, or even if the performance is fine but others are outperforming him…….Mathis is almost a sunk cost at this point.  He’s got to really shine to be included in anything long-term right now for the new coaching staff.  

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2024 at 8:12 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

I honestly think Mathis is in danger of being a cut in camp because he’s not really been healthy until this point.  If he’s behind or struggling, or even if the performance is fine but others are outperforming him…….Mathis is almost a sunk cost at this point.  He’s got to really shine to be included in anything long-term right now for the new coaching staff.  

New coaching staff & with Newton’s foot surgery gives Mathis a real opportunity to earn a spot as at least the #4 DT, if not the 3rd DT given Newton foot surgery.

It’s not like Mathis doesn’t have talent. He was Alabama’s best defensive tackle in 2021-2022. If healthy it’s hard for me to imagine him not at least making the roster.

Edited by turtle28

Emmanuel Forbes sucks. I would seriously offload him right now to any team dumb enough to give us anything for him. Dotson should’ve been Olave and Davis Darrisaw. The Mathis pick was horrible at the time and turned out the way most of us believed it would. Rivera genuinely might be the worst headcoach/GM of all-time. Nearly every move he made sucked. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Emmanuel Forbes sucks. I would seriously offload him right now to any team dumb enough to give us anything for him. Dotson should’ve been Olave and Davis Darrisaw. The Mathis pick was horrible at the time and turned out the way most of us believed it would. Rivera genuinely might be the worst headcoach/GM of all-time. Nearly every move he made sucked. 

Agreed on him being the worst - would go with this forum's (from what I remember) consensus of JOK instead of Davis, and Kyle Hamilton instead of Jahan.  Both pro bowlers...

2023, not super optimistic, but maybe with a competent staff...it really is mindboggling that we let that nonsense go on for so long.  

6 hours ago, daskins said:

Agreed on him being the worst - would go with this forum's (from what I remember) consensus of JOK instead of Davis, and Kyle Hamilton instead of Jahan.  Both pro bowlers...

2023, not super optimistic, but maybe with a competent staff...it really is mindboggling that we let that nonsense go on for so long.  

Or even Darrisaw, Olave & Christian Gonzalez. If we had drafted any combination of those 5 players instead of the 3 we drafted we would’ve been better the last 3 years but, we also may still be stuck with Rivera bc we probably would’ve been a playoff contender again last year so… there’s that to think about to. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daskins said:

I mean, Rivera gave total offensive control over to a guy who got overlooked for every head coaching job for years, and who told players that they couldn’t wear their hat backwards.  

It really is mind boggling how you treat adults that way, and expected good results.  

• Like 2