Next year's coaches ...

KC_Guy

There is no info available about the Chiefs' coaches contract situation other than Reid's extension last year. And what follows is pure speculation. But I think we'll see major changes.

Andy Reid will stay.
Matt Nagy (OC) will - unless someone offershim a HC job. He did a heck of a job after taking over play calling.
Eric Bieniemy should stay. Unless someone offers him an OC job. He had success with whatever group of RBs he had to work with. Charles, Ware, West, Hunt ...

Andy Heck (OL), Tom Melvin (TE) and Greg Lewis (WR) I don't have any opinion about. I see mixed results, but nothing that would have me fire them.

Well, then there is the Defense ...

Let's start with the obvious:

Emmitt Smith (DB) isn't getting any younger. He's 74. Tommy Brasher handed over DL duties last year at age 75. 
Gary Gibbs (LB) is 65 and the last man standing of the pre-Reid era. The linebacker corps did not develop any long term solution recently, although quite a few draft picks were thrown taht way: Ford, Alexander, Wilson, Johnson, ... just to name few. The LBs lived off the old guys: Hali, Houston and DJ.
Britt Reid (DL) is young, but I already I mentioned it last year: I think he needs to get out of Andy's team to build a reputation of his own.

And finally: Bob Sutton. For some the sole culprit of the Chiefs' slump mid-season and the Indianapolis play-off loss. I don't agree completely to that, but his resumee is less than perfect.

Putting it all together I think it would be an excellent situation to re-vamp the complete defensive coaching staff, bring in a new DC and have hin build his assistants. Get younger, build a coachimng team for the next 5 years or so ... and see what some fresh blood can do.

Oh, lest I forget: With the roster situation on Defense you could even consider switching back to a 4-3 without to many issues ... if that's the new DC's preference. Well, is there such a thing like 3-4, 4-3 in today's NFL at all??

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood: I think there aresome teams out there which would be more than happy to take over the Chiefs' defensive staff as whole immediately. But I also think it may be the time to shake it up top to bottom ... while keeping the offensive side of the coaching intact as a stabilizing factor.

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

Putting it all together I think it would be an excellent situation to re-vamp the complete defensive coaching staff, bring in a new DC and have hin build his assistants. Get younger, build a coachimng team for the next 5 years or so ... and see what some fresh blood can do.

I'm all for this, but will Andy Reid do it? This is not like Andy to sever professional ties with a friend. Andy is as close to needing retirement as Bob Sutton.

Well, is there such a thing like 3-4, 4-3 in today's NFL at all??

Or Sutton's 2-1? What was that? Our guys look like a Chinese fire drill or the Keystone Cops running around on the field.

37 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I'm all for this, but will Andy Reid do it? This is not like Andy to sever professional ties with a friend. Andy is as close to needing retirement as Bob Sutton.

Guess this is not on Reid alone - Veach will/should have a say as well. I have no clue about the formal responsibilities/authorities - but shaking up a whole half of the coaching staff in my opinion goes beyond the authorities of the Head Coach.

And the Andy retirement issue has been resolved recently - at least for the next three to four years.

Sometimes I really wonder whether you are some OAK fart sneaking into this forum ... sorry. But your comment on Andy retiring is so far out of the real world I shouldn't even comment on it.

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

Sometimes I really wonder whether you are some OAK fart sneaking into this forum ... sorry. But your comment on Andy retiring is so far out of the real world I shouldn't even comment on it.

Sutton and Reid are old. Andy ran the offense into the ground and is why Nagy calls plays now. Even Reid was convinced he needed help. Time, energy, mental stamina - it's all working against Andy now.

No, i'm not a Homer. I tell like I see it. Been a Chiefs fan since the Dawson days in the 60's and I hate the Raiders with a passion like most here.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:46 PM, KC_Guy said:

... Defense you could even consider switching back to a 4-3 without to many issues ... if that's the new DC's preference. Well, is there such a thing like 3-4, 4-3 in today's NFL at all??

I think this a vital discussion for the top brass this off-season. Supposedly we run a 3-4/4-3. With so many teams runing a 3-4 now compared to a decade ago, it's harder to find the elite talent for each role. Since we are supposedly a hybrid, a full transition to a 4-3 shouldn't be too far off. Could we do so effectively in one off-season? Would a transition season or two be better than the current scheme, assuming we are in a win now mode? 

I've supported the idea of going to a 4-3 for a long time now. We don't have the LB's necessary for a true 3-4 anymore. We stop the run better with a 4-3 and when we've rushed the QB with 4 DL we've put better pressure on him.

Much discussion about this issue in the thread "Looking Ahead to Week 11". Jakuvious and Samsel23 advocates for Sutton's defense. I advocate for rushing 4 DL.

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I've supported the idea of going to a 4-3 for a long time now. We don't have the LB's necessary for a true 3-4 anymore. We stop the run better with a 4-3 and when we've rushed the QB with 4 DL we've put better pressure on him.

Much discussion about this issue in the thread "Looking Ahead to Week 11". Jukuvius and Samsel23 advocates for Sutton's defense. I advocate for rushing 4 DL.

15 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I actually said I see us moving to more of a 4-3 Under Scheme next year in that thread,  which I support.  Rushing 4 DL is not what we were against 

"CJ, RNR, Bailey and Jenkins"

Quoted, That is what he wanted for a DL. I'm all for switching if that's what it takes but from a fundamental standpoint Mayan didn't/doesn't get the point that there's differences in a 3-4 and and 4-3.

14 hours ago, starbarkc said:

I think this a vital discussion for the top brass this off-season. Supposedly we run a 3-4/4-3. With so many teams runing a 3-4 now compared to a decade ago, it's harder to find the elite talent for each role. Since we are supposedly a hybrid, a full transition to a 4-3 shouldn't be too far off. Could we do so effectively in one off-season? Would a transition season or two be better than the current scheme, assuming we are in a win now mode? 

It’s very possible to switch to a 4-3 under style in one offseason.  Honestly we run a lot of the same principles already, so it’s not like we’d be doing a complete change.  Tanoh and Jones fit at DE in this scheme, but Jones won’t be playing the edge.  Houston fits as an OLB over Jones.  

The biggest hurdle is your MLB needs to be able to cover a lot of ground.  Ragland has been a lot better than I imagined but I don’t think he has enough speed to handle it.  He could do pretty well in a KJ Wright role though.  

Finding a MLB and depth would be the biggest hurdles while also trying to find a good #2 CB.  

Jakuvious is confused about what a true 4DL front is and how to put weight on the Dline:

It isn't a 4-3 vs. 3-4 problem. If we converted to a 4-3 it wouldn't actually change our personnel that much (we'd be moving Hali/Kpass/Houston/Ford all to DE in order to run a proper 4-3.) So it'd be the same people out there just with a slightly different alignment and name.

Mayanfootball responded:

And that's a problem too. Houston isn't a DE. Kpass is. Ford isn't a DE. Hali isn't a DE. Only Kpass has the requisite weight to pull it off.

Samsel wants something else entirely that seems quite hair-brained to me:

I’d like to see a 3-3-5 with 2 ILB’s instead of the OLB setup.

Keep Houston on the field, Keep Ragland as a straight up ILB.  DJ/KPL can play a hybrid ILB/OLB.  We aren’t really getting anything out of the ROLB spot anyways

And Jakuvious chimes in that he's all for this too:

This would be okay as well. We'd lose less in coverage that way too. And as you say, we aren't getting much from our ROLBs anyway.

So Jakuvious and Samsel23 don't really support a 4-3 defense for the Chiefs. They prefer Bob Sutton and his crazy 2 or 3 man Dline deployments that hurt KC in BOTH run and pass defenses.

Archived