Week 16 - Rams at Titans

RamRod

6 hours ago, DistantRam said:

And he needs blocking, targets and a defence. He can’t do it all on his own. 

And you can only get that with the 1st round pick? Can't get it later rounds can't get it in free agency? We got a franchise QB and an improved OLine and weapons for him and a good defense that's just getting better. After we traded away these picks and this other team supposedly got 4 hall of famers. All that matters is we got our QB to go with our good team. That's a win no matter what the other guys get.

3 hours ago, Car_Ramrod said:

The only 2 major outliers for that argument.

My point is great players can be found in every round and they have throughout NFL history. Just because we traded away a 1st and a couple 2nd's or 3rd's doesn't mean we aren't able to build around our franchise QB. Each team got what they wanted, we got our QB they got some pieces to put around theirs. People can argue over who won or who didn't but it's pointless since it was a good trade for each team.

On 23/12/2017 at 3:22 AM, NVRamsFan said:

Yup and you helped to prove it :) Thanks for the assist.

My pleasure. B|

Seriously, though, I agree with you that a franchise quarterback is the most important piece of the jigsaw. However, he can’t do it all on his own- put Tom Brady on this Browns team and they’re still not breaking 8-8. 

Jrry made the very valid point that both teams can “win” a trade, depending on their needs, and the true result of this trade will only be known a few years down the line- the players involved are still in the embryonic stage of their careers. 

I’d still disagree with your suggestion that a quarterback has to be taken in the first round, though as, as well as Brady and Warner, the likes of Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Joe Theismann, Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr weren’t drafted in the first and they were/are all franchise quarterbacks who went on to win the Super Bowl.

Where is this clown at? Come here, little clown. @Dashing202

Here's the reality and no offense . mcvay overrated he isn't a real head coach and you guys have a lot of work to do on the offense .. defense wise it'd take time to adjust to Phillips D .

5-11 or 6-10 season mcvay out in two years Gruden was the real engineer on the offense .

3 hours ago, DistantRam said:

Seriously, though, I agree with you that a franchise quarterback is the most important piece of the jigsaw. However, he can’t do it all on his own- put Tom Brady on this Browns team and they’re still not breaking 8-8. 

My point is and has been that even with the trading away of picks we did surround our franchise QB with talent. People have this misconception that you can only get good players in the 1st or 2nd round. We traded two 1st's, two 2nd's and two 3rd's and got a 1st, 4th and 6th. Giving up those 6 high picks we were still able to get players around our QB. In fact each team has gotten a pro bowl player from the picks. We've hit on two of the 3 picks the jury is out on the 3rd still so we get a W for the trade. They look to have hit on multiple of the picks they got from us so they look like they got a W also.

I never stated a QB had to be taken in the 1st round but to say you can take them in any round and have the same success just isn't true. Yes you can point to a couple that were taken in the 3rd or later. But the majority of the successful NFL starting QB's are in fact 1st round picks. My point was the Rams identified a QB they wanted and traded up to #1 to get him. As long as he was their guy and they can make him work whatever they trade away is worth it.

We got our franchise QB and still have been able to surround him with talent. The trade was good for the Rams.

42 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

The trade was good for the Rams.

Oh, I agree with you completely on that point- look back to my original post in this thread and you'll see that. I simply don't agree that a franchise quarterback is worth more than everyone else on the team put together. Anyway, I think this discussion has run its course- we're not going to agree on that point. B|

Archived