Yeah, but what about this...?

vike daddy

I'll pose a new Vikings related question every morning for that day's discussion...

21 Dec:

How would have Cordarelle Patterson done in today's Shurmur-based Keenum-led offense? Would he have been a productive component, or still mainly relegated to special team duty?

He'd be the #3 in this offense and basically just take most of the snaps away from Treadwell and Floyd.

Probably have a few more receptions for the fact of the playmaker ability and they would try and get the ball in his hands.

Of course I believe this probably be his best season with the Vikings, but not like he would be lighting it up.

Heck maybe would have scored a TD for us on KR.

Personally I don't think he would be doing any more than what he has done in OAK this season. He just isn't a good WR. We do miss him on kick returns, but on offense.... meh. 

The reason why Diggs and Thielen are able to get so much YAC is because they are so good at getting open and creating space. Patterson has never been able to do that.

I HATE the idea of forcing the ball to a player just because he is a good athlete. If they are a good player, they will naturally get the ball. 

35 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Personally I don't think he would be doing any more than what he has done in OAK this season. He just isn't a good WR. We do miss him on kick returns, but on offense.... meh. 

The reason why Diggs and Thielen are able to get so much YAC is because they are so good at getting open and creating space. Patterson has never been able to do that.

I HATE the idea of forcing the ball to a player just because he is a good athlete. If they are a good player, they will naturally get the ball. 

I agree.  I don't think he'd be doing anything, considering Patterson would be taking up a lot of the slot snaps that Thielen has been getting, and Thielen is far more effective being able to go outside and inside out of the slot.  Patterson would add nothing more to this offense.  

3 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I agree.  I don't think he'd be doing anything, considering Patterson would be taking up a lot of the slot snaps that Thielen has been getting, and Thielen is far more effective being able to go outside and inside out of the slot.  Patterson would add nothing more to this offense.  

Maybe we could  hypothetically line him up more at RB? We'd have a 3 headed monster at RB with Cook going down.

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe we could  hypothetically line him up more at RB? We'd have a 3 headed monster at RB with Cook going down.

I'd rather run Ham than Patterson out of the backfield.

I've just never understood why Patterson deserves so much love that the entire offense should be mixed up to try to fit him in. He was overhyped coming out of Tennessee, and he has been overhyped his entire time as a pro.

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd rather run Ham than Patterson out of the backfield.

I've just never understood why Patterson deserves so much love that the entire offense should be mixed up to try to fit him in. He was overhyped coming out of Tennessee, and he has been overhyped his entire time as a pro.

Because he has similar physical ability to Randy Moss...but unfortunately, he doesn't have the mental ability of Randy Moss.  

I think he'd be a great special teams asset, and for that reason alone I wish he was still on the team/would like to bring him back if he leaves Oakland. As far as an offensive option, it's a little bit tougher to say. He would probably be stealing Floyd, Wright, and Treadwell's snaps to an extent, but he would add some niche ability on the offense which could be used here and there. Especially with Cook having gone down, he could have gotten 1-5 plays a game where he lined up in the backfield to give defenses something to think about. I don't have the time to look into it, but I was watching an Oakland game and I could have sworn that the commentators said something about him averaging 10 YPC this year out of the backfield.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I'll pose a new Vikings related question every morning for that day's discussion...

21 Dec:

How would have Cordarelle Patterson done in today's Shurmur-based Keenum-led offense? Would he have been a productive component, or still mainly relegated to special team duty?

Patterson is definitely a better fit in the Shurmur WCO than he was in the Norv Turner vertical offence, and Case Keenum's ability to extend plays might have created some big play capability for Patterson. But... as others have pointed out, while the YAC potential looks good on paper, Patterson is just not a naturally gifted receiver.

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

Because he has similar physical ability to Randy Moss...but unfortunately, he doesn't have the mental ability of Randy Moss.  

Patterson physically is more of a Terrell Owens or Jerry Rice. He has the potential to turn an ordinary 5-yard slant or crossing route into an 80-yard TD. The problem is that Patterson just doesn't have the natural pass catching or route running ability to catch the ball over the middle of the field consistently.

He's basically a bigger and stronger version of Devin Hester.

3 hours ago, milanb said:

Patterson is definitely a better fit in the Shurmur WCO than he was in the Norv Turner vertical offence, and Case Keenum's ability to extend plays might have created some big play capability for Patterson. But... as others have pointed out, while the YAC potential looks good on paper, Patterson is just not a naturally gifted receiver.

I don't see him fitting the WCO at all.  Receivers in the WCO have to be able to locate space.  Patterson, as a receiver, is not someone who can see the defense and find the gaps.

Archived