Yeah, but what about this...?

vike daddy

8 hours ago, Klomp said:

Both teams took massive hits to their defenses this year.

I think that is kind of the point. In the salary cap era it is not possible to keep together a collection of high priced defenders at that level for very long. The Vikings can afford the defense they have now because some of the pieces are under rookie contracts. The sustainability of an elite defense may be dependent on a continual flow of solid contributors on rookie contracts. Is that really sustainable? To the extent it is, it will take a very strong scouting department and top notch GM selecting the right guys on an ongoing basis.

The other model towards a sustainable playoff team, hall of fame QB and great coach is harder to come by but once you have it put together it is considerably easier to sustain.

Right now the Vikings offense is getting it done with one of the cheapest groups of WRs in the league. We know that is not going to be sustainable. These guys will need new contracts. It is very unlikely the team will find replacements for them in the 5th round and undrafted free agency.

Basically, in the salary cap era the only thing that is sustainable is getting together an elite core and being really good at rebuilding around that core on a regular basis.  The Vikings have a strong core but I am not ready to conclude that they can rebuild around that core on a regular basis. I am not convinced that it is sustainable. However, they can hold it together for a few years. They have the coach IMO which is a huge key to sustainability. The team has already won the north two of the last three years.

One blessing is that the Vikes don't have a meaningful first round pick in the last two drafts but the talent is certainly not lacking. That means two fewer contract extensions. Also, Waynes may not get one given he may be pricing himself into $10m+ per year territory.

if Zimmer and Spielman can keep this going and find talent after round one consistently, MN should be fine. But ultimately, sustainability over the long term is most always driven by QB.

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Dec 24:

How long realistically can Mike Zimmer remain as the head coach of the Vikings?

As long as we stay a decent-to-great team, his vision is okay, and he can still make it down to his hunting lodge in Kentucky. 

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Dec 24:

How long realistically can Mike Zimmer remain as the head coach of the Vikings?

Depends on his health. Pete Carroll is stil coaching and he's 66. That would give Zimmer 5 more years.

just hope he's healthy going forward. Seems to have put on the pounds since becoming a HC. 

Merry Christmas all!   Zimmer will hopefully command the ship for a decade.   In the four years he's been here, the defense has emerged much like it did under Floyd Peters.    The offense is getting better, and that starts with the Oline, which I think they finally found the recipe.    Finally, I think the HC needs to be a little selfish and keep great assistants at least a couple years.  In this case, lets hope Shurmur stays two more years, at least.  

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Dec 25:

What's the biggest present Santa could bring the Vikings next year prior to the start of the regular season?

New contract for Pat Shurmur

To me, he's the most critical potential addition or subtraction this offseason.

Archived