Danelle Ellerbe will be cut when healthy

Dome

Dannell Ellerbe's tenure will the New Orleans Saints will soon come to an end.

The Saints are placing Ellerbe (foot) on injured reserve after he couldn't pass his physical before training camp, according to sources familiar with the transaction. 

The move ends any chance of Ellerbe playing for the Saints in 2017, and the team will waive him once he's healthy, giving him a chance to catch on with another team.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/07/saints_dannell_ellerbe_injured.html#incart_river_index

When he's on the field he's a quality linebacker, he's almost never on the field.

When he's healthy he'll be cut and free to sign if he chooses. It will clear $3.2m for the Saints.

6 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

@whodatworm23 called it.

Happy to hear it... guys play was actually overrated to an extent as his production tailed off the second half of season and his inability to stay healthy has become predictable and frustrating. The fact that he's 32 years old worked against him and I honestly feel it's in our best interest to roll with our young guys and allow them to develop and for Klein to be the official leader of this group.

3 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Happy to hear it... guys play was actually overrated to an extent as his production tailed off the second half of season and his inability to stay healthy has become predictable and frustrating. The fact that he's 32 years old worked against him and I honestly feel it's in our best interest to roll with our young guys and allow them to develop and for Klein to be the official leader of this group.

I feel like his falling off was largely due to injuries, but that's falling off nonetheless.

In his first and early 2nd year here he was a good linebacker for us.

5 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I feel like his falling off was largely due to injuries, but that's falling off nonetheless.

In his first and early 2nd year here he was a good linebacker for us.

"Availablity is ones best ability"

Bill Parcells

15 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Tell that to the 2008 - 2010 Miami Dolphins.

From what I remember... please enlighten me if I'm wrong but as I recall Parcells did acquire some talent on those teams but little was done with it in the field. 

Or or am I thinking of his time in Dallas?

9 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

From what I remember... please enlighten me if I'm wrong but as I recall Parcells did acquire some talent on those teams but little was done with it in the field. 

Or or am I thinking of his time in Dallas?

The only picks in those three drafts the Dolphins ended up re-signing were S Reshad Jones (elite), LB Koa Misi (retired yesterday) and WR Brian Hartline (who was cut shortly after re-signing).

His gems included QB Pat White in the 2nd round, QB Chad Henne in the 2nd round, and about a dozen OL / DL who were at worst garbage and at best a stop-gap player.

He tried to build a smashmouth team straight from the 70s, fell flat on his face and took a clause in his contract that let him leave early while still getting paid.

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

The only picks in those three drafts the Dolphins ended up re-signing were S Reshad Jones (elite), LB Koa Misi (retired yesterday) and WR Brian Hartline (who was cut shortly after re-signing).

His gems included QB Pat White in the 2nd round, QB Chad Henne in the 2nd round, and about a dozen OL / DL who were at worst garbage and at best a stop-gap player.

He tried to build a smashmouth team straight from the 70s, fell flat on his face and took a clause in his contract that let him leave early while still getting paid.

Wow... what about the Long over Ryan pick, were Dolphins fans sour over that?

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

Wow... what about the Long over Ryan pick, were Dolphins fans sour over that?

I remember it being a fairly even split. At that point, Bill / Sparano / Ireland were the Trifecta and their vision of the team was a run-first, power offense predicated on the run game and play action. Long was a fantastic blocker for his first two seasons and then injuries happened. Parcells had it in his head that you take the elite LT prospect in the 1st round and a "game manager" in the 2nd (Chad Henne). The idea made sense at the time, but it ended up being a dated approach which was poorly executed.

I for one was not upset with passing on Ryan. Remember, the Ryan vs Long debate wasn't really settled until 2012 or so when Ryan matured fully as a starting QB. By then Long was physically broken despite his first couple All-Pro seasons.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I remember it being a fairly even split. At that point, Bill / Sparano / Ireland were the Trifecta and their vision of the team was a run-first, power offense predicated on the run game and play action. Long was a fantastic blocker for his first two seasons and then injuries happened. Parcells had it in his head that you take the elite LT prospect in the 1st round and a "game manager" in the 2nd (Chad Henne). The idea made sense at the time, but it ended up being a dated approach which was poorly executed.

I for one was not upset with passing on Ryan. Remember, the Ryan vs Long debate wasn't really settled until 2012 or so when Ryan matured fully as a starting QB. By then Long was physically broken despite his first couple All-Pro seasons.

If Long had stayed healthy, Long would still be the correct call today.

Archived