Seattle Seahawks get Fined

The Gnat

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that this is a serious slap on the wrist for something that should be taken very seriously, especially in the NFL.

We've all seen the video - Russell Wilson walks into the tent, then immediately flips it back up and walks out and says he's okay. The problem with this is that every player who may have a concussion will say this same thing. If teams don't follow protocol in EVERY situation, it leads to the toxic situation we're in right now, where every single player will hide a concussion just to be on the field, potentially jeopardizing their future as a functioning adult.

I've witnessed first-hand how concussions impact people, and we're going through a period in the NFL where head trauma and CTE is starting to become a major, major talking point. Allowing teams to skate the rules like this shows the NFL isn't taking CTE or concussions seriously when a team blatantly ignores protocol during a game.

Given that the Seahawks were fined but not slapped with a lost pick for not reporting the Sherman injury, and more importantly, they disregarded player safety with full contact practices at OTA's in 2016 and were told that any further violations of player safety could result in higher fines and lost picks, this penalty is an absolute joke.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2016/09/19/seattle-fined-draft-pick-violation-pete-carroll/90699410/

Every team will continue to break the protocol, Didn't Tom Savage cough up blood and the Texans let him go back in....?

It's ridiculous and teams should be punished for it but players and teams are always going to break it.

25 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Every team will continue to break the protocol, Didn't Tom Savage cough up blood and the Texans let him go back in....?

It's ridiculous and teams should be punished for it but players and teams are always going to break it.

For real?! I never heard that.

30 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

The difference is that the Ravens don't have 2 prior strikes on record, and the NFL stating a very clear zero-tolerance approach.

From the linked article above:

“The Seahawks were also advised that any additional violation of the CBA’s player work rules, or any violation affecting the competitive aspects of the game, will likely result in significantly higher fines, the cancellation of future OTA days, minicamp days, preseason or regular season practices, as well as the forfeiture of higher-round or multiple draft selections,” the league said.

I don't know how the above didn't qualify.  SMH.

19 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:
45 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

For real?! I never heard that.

Was this the same hit that he was shaking on the ground for a second?

Archived