Seattle Seahawks get Fined

The Gnat

17 hours ago, OleXmad said:

Every team will continue to break the protocol, Didn't Tom Savage cough up blood and the Texans let him go back in....?

It's ridiculous and teams should be punished for it but players and teams are always going to break it.

The ref was standing right over Savage as his body was shaking, and the ref allowed him to continue playing.

Did the ref follow the concussion protocol? Or is it teams that get punished only, not the NFL employees? 

49ers_Texans_Football_03297-0fa8f.jpg&w=

5 hours ago, 808 said:

The ref was standing right over Savage as his body was shaking, and the ref allowed him to continue playing.

Did the ref follow the concussion protocol? Or is it teams that get punished only, not the NFL employees? 

49ers_Texans_Football_03297-0fa8f.jpg&w=

Think that's above the ref's paygrade, it's up to the medical professionals to determine whether a player can play or not. And how much money that professional is offered in the tent.

10 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Think that's above the ref's paygrade, it's up to the medical professionals to determine whether a player can play or not. And how much money that professional is offered in the tent.

I thought the refs did have the power to stop play if they thought a player was concussed. I guess that wouldn’t apply here because Savage did get taken off the field and looked at and then allowed back in. In which case, that burden falls solely on the team. 

On 12/22/2017 at 4:19 PM, Ketchup said:

I thought the refs did have the power to stop play if they thought a player was concussed. I guess that wouldn’t apply here because Savage did get taken off the field and looked at and then allowed back in. In which case, that burden falls solely on the team. 

They do, and the player must leaving the game and get checked.  The ref’s have no way of knowing if the player checked out ok, not ok, or just stumbled around the sideline tho. 

On 12/22/2017 at 3:07 PM, OleXmad said:

You really think that someone would pony up to keep Tom Savage in a game? I'd get it if it was Watson, but... Savage?

Let's just call it what it is - a professional who made a mistake. Happens all the time, in the league and in the real world. There should be consequences for mistakes of this magnitude, but let's not create shooters in the grassy knoll here.

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

You really think that someone would pony up to keep Tom Savage in a game? I'd get it if it was Watson, but... Savage?

Let's just call it what it is - a professional who made a mistake. Happens all the time, in the league and in the real world. There should be consequences for mistakes of this magnitude, but let's not create shooters in the grassy knoll here.

Agreed. And not to sidetrack this thread, but in regards to the bold section: when mistakes by refs are made, the consequences are either ignored or downplayed by the league.

When a coaching staff, front office member or player makes a mistake, the punishment is delivered in a different manner. 

For example, the league still hasn't officially addressed their handling of said Tom Savage scenario. Yet the Seahawks have already been punished for their mistake. 

19 minutes ago, 808 said:

For example, the league still hasn't officially addressed their handling of said Tom Savage scenario. Yet the Seahawks have already been punished for their mistake. 

As a Texans fan, that's the scary part. I think they're really vetting this out because they plan on dropping a hammer in terms of punishment (I wouldn't be surprised if draft picks aren't docked).

I'll agree that severe action should be taken, but losing a draft pick in a year you're already missing your top two just twists me up on the inside as a fan...

18 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

As a Texans fan, that's the scary part. I think they're really vetting this out because they plan on dropping a hammer in terms of punishment (I wouldn't be surprised if draft picks aren't docked).

I'll agree that severe action should be taken, but losing a draft pick in a year you're already missing your top two just twists me up on the inside as a fan...

I'll be upset if the Texans lose a draft pick and Seattle just gets docked some money. The Savage situation was bad, for sure, but the Seahawks have a pretty established history of skirting rules when it comes to player safety. They continue to not be punished and predictably continue to not learn. I'd be all for both teams losing a draft pick, personally. Escalate and make it clear that this is serious. But to both teams, not just one.

Repeat offenders and violating the rules put in place as a result of heightened public awareness of a serious health issue. They get a slap on the wrist again.

100K is chump change for these owners and doesn't, at all, provide disincentive to do this again. 

Really ridiculous but that's the NFL for you. Make a huge deal about concussions and fine the team pennies (relative to their revenue and the owner's wealth) to punish a violation of the rules. ¬¬

Archived