Are the Bears Poorly Marketed?

IronMike84

So this article has gotten some attention over the past few days:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-bears-mccaskey-letter--465519393.html

Hoge and Jahns spent a great deal of time talking about it on their podcast today as well, and I just wanted to rattle off some thoughts, some echoing them, and some of my own.

For such a recognizable team, then Bears are very poorly marketed. I know zero about marketing, but I know what I see as a fan. For the most part, this is a team that’s presented to the city based on what they did 30+ years ago.

Right now, their spokesperson is essentially John Fox, and that hasn’t gone well. That needs to change regardless of who gets hired as head coach. We don’t hear from Pace, we don’t hear from George. They’re not trying to reassure anybody and they’re not even trying to lie to us. It’s just total silence.

Whoever runs their social media is really funny. Inside the Bears is an okay show, but not one that I bother to watch. Some season ticket holders get their tickets delivered by players, which is cool. They’ve done some commercial campaigns. “Believe in Monsters” was a really cool one, but since then, they’ve done “Bear Down,” and whichever one they have now, but the recent campaigns have mostly been plugs to buy tickets.

Once upon a time, the Bears had a fan convention. That flopped big time about ten years ago and hasn’t been run since.

Then we have other incidents like Mike Glennon at the draft party where Trubisky was drafted. A better mind wouldn’t have let that happen. Then there was Family Fest where the field was so bad that the busses of players turned around and went back to Bourbonnais, missing out on an opportunity for some great PR opportunities that a more creative team could have dreamt up.

The thing is, this isn’t something that requires Ted Phillips to step down, or the McCaskeys to sell the team. Improvements can be made without those two losing their jobs, no matter how hated they may be. If done correctly, they could even make more money.

At the end of the day, yes, winning may be the best marketing. But this team can be presented so much better than they are now.

The Bears are a generational team, fandom literally goes from Grandparent to parent to child to grandchild etc etc

Even when the Bulls were winning all those titles in the 90s, Chicago was still a Bears town, I think it's just a literal fiber of the city.

That being said... now that the team has sucked for quite some time, I think fans are losing interest and the Bears are going to have to start upping their game.

56 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They don’t have much to market, they are a brutal team.

They push history, because that is all they have to push.

Yeah, ever since 54 retired they’ve been waiting on that next face. Cutler didn’t want that mantle, and Mitch isn’t ready for it yet. If he’s legit he’s gonna own the city like no other though. 

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They just said that the entire operation is not modern or executing at a high level.

Pace has been working to modernize on the football side, but the business side has not even come close to keeping up.

I think what I hate the most is how tight-lipped this organization is with the fan base. It's not the most important thing -- we don't have to know everything going on -- but you go on the Eagles' website and their content is OUTSTANDING. Why can't we have that kind of access here? It's not as if they're winning a damned thing.

The mccaskeys are not jerry jones or daniel snyder or even jeffrey laurie.  They are not billionaires who own the club to an exclusive member of the fraternity.  It is a family business and is run as such.  Thats probably the biggest issue at this point.  They could maybe reach out to John Mcdonough and see what it would take to get him to come in and handle the marketing/business side of things

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I think what I hate the most is how tight-lipped this organization is with the fan base. It's not the most important thing -- we don't have to know everything going on -- but you go on the Eagles' website and their content is OUTSTANDING. Why can't we have that kind of access here? It's not as if they're winning a damned thing.

They talked at length how their PR program just makes everyone hate them.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They talked at length how their PR program just makes everyone hate them.

It's garbage. I don't know how much of it is Pace and how much is Fox... but Jesus H. Christ, if Bill Belichick can break down big plays from the previous game, and John DeFilippo can break down how they scored and attacked defenses, I'm sure we can show SOME clips of completed plays in freaking minicamp, ya know? It's ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, G08 said:

It's garbage. I don't know how much of it is Pace and how much is Fox... but Jesus H. Christ, if Bill Belichick can break down big plays from the previous game, and John DeFilippo can break down how they scored and attacked defenses, I'm sure we can show SOME clips of completed plays in freaking minicamp, ya know? It's ridiculous.

I cant speak for John de but bb doesnt do any of that.  His pcs are not thay dissimilar from Fox, but when you have the bb record it makes it alot easier to swallow as a fan

Archived