3 Round Mock Offseason - *Updated 12/23*

Rich7sena

10 hours ago, mike23md said:

Cincinnati just signed Dalton to a 6 year 96M extension. They need offensive line more than a QB. Giants are bringing back Eli in 2018 and they do have Davis Webb that players are pushing for. Yes the Jets are a serious option. I get that. BUT, they also need OT's and they are limited in this draft class. If an OT is there like O'Niell, it is likely they take him over reaching for Darnold. The Jets could also settle in on Luke Falk or try to sign Kirk Cousins. Some fans have told me they have nearly 95M in cap space and can afford him. So. There are a lot of options, but it seems like you agree, that Darnold should not be the overall #1. 

The other scenario is that Cleveland takes Minkah, Barkley, or an OL first overall and then look for Rosen or Darnold at 5 overall. That is considering if the Giants dont take one of them and the Colts and Niners stay put. 

Andy Dalton only has 3 years, $50.2M left on his contract.  But the kicker is that of that, only $2.4M is left in guaranteed money via a SB.  In theory, the Bengals could draft Rosen or Darnold and have him sit for a year and then turn the reigns over them in a year and not have any negative cap consequences.  Look, I'm not saying I'm expecting them to do so but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility either.

As for the Giants, it was mentioned several months back that they sent some of their higher personnel to go see Josh Rosen at UCLA.  You don't do that if you're not at least seriously considering taking a QB early.  And I'm sorry, but Davis Webb isn't going to alter the draft plans ESPECIALLY when there's a different FO that will be in place before the draft.  It's literally got no bearing on what the Giants do in terms of potentially drafting a QB.

The Jets are not "settling" on Luke Falk.  That's like wanting filet mignon and settling for rump roast.  And they're certainly not going to take an OL if they think they have a franchise QB available to them.

Look, I'm not saying Darnold is the #1 overall prospect.  But you don't pass up on a QB prospect for a lesser prospect simply because you might be able to get a lesser version of them later on.  I get it, you don't like Darnold but he's going top 10.  You can pretty much count on it.

9 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Don't know much about the Edge rusher taken but those first two picks very well could be the positions taken. The cutting of Austin gives us a ton of cap space and those 3 free agent signings aren't going to take nearly all of it. Either we have a couple other signings including John Sullivan or a different vet Center and/or we're also extending Aaron Donald with that money. Love landing Jackson though that late in the 1st.

Only notable free agents were included.

8 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I really, really like this for us. But I don't see how Payne falls out of the top half of the first round.

I'm lower on Payne than most. I view him as a quality 3-tech prospect who will factor as a rotational player his first year. My overall philosophy for interior defensive line starters is run defense first, pass rush second. I think this is mostly echoed by the NFL.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Andy Dalton only has 3 years, $50.2M left on his contract.  But the kicker is that of that, only $2.4M is left in guaranteed money via a SB.  In theory, the Bengals could draft Rosen or Darnold and have him sit for a year and then turn the reigns over them in a year and not have any negative cap consequences.  Look, I'm not saying I'm expecting them to do so but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility either.

As for the Giants, it was mentioned several months back that they sent some of their higher personnel to go see Josh Rosen at UCLA.  You don't do that if you're not at least seriously considering taking a QB early.  And I'm sorry, but Davis Webb isn't going to alter the draft plans ESPECIALLY when there's a different FO that will be in place before the draft.  It's literally got no bearing on what the Giants do in terms of potentially drafting a QB.

The Jets are not "settling" on Luke Falk.  That's like wanting filet mignon and settling for rump roast.  And they're certainly not going to take an OL if they think they have a franchise QB available to them.

Look, I'm not saying Darnold is the #1 overall prospect.  But you don't pass up on a QB prospect for a lesser prospect simply because you might be able to get a lesser version of them later on.  I get it, you don't like Darnold but he's going top 10.  You can pretty much count on it.

If a scouting department within an organization does not due its due diligence on all prospects, then why have them. So of course the Giants would look at Josh Rosen among others. That was when McAdoo was the HC and Reese was the GM. Now that Eli is likely to be back, I dont see Rosen being an option for them, but then again, I didn’t see the Bears going after Trubisky, at least not trading up for him. 

And I agree, its not that I dont like Darnold, I just dont think he goes #1 overall when Rosen is a higher rated prospect overall and at the position. Could he go top 10? Sure. As we get closer, that will even itself out. But right now, I just dont see Darnold going #1 overall. That’s all I was getting at. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

If a scouting department within an organization does not due its due diligence on all prospects, then why have them. So of course the Giants would look at Josh Rosen among others. That was when McAdoo was the HC and Reese was the GM. Now that Eli is likely to be back, I dont see Rosen being an option for them, but then again, I didn’t see the Bears going after Trubisky, at least not trading up for him. 

And I agree, its not that I dont like Darnold, I just dont think he goes #1 overall when Rosen is a higher rated prospect overall and at the position. Could he go top 10? Sure. As we get closer, that will even itself out. But right now, I just dont see Darnold going #1 overall. That’s all I was getting at. 

That directive came from ownership.  You don't have that kind of directive coming from the ownership unless you are willing to select a QB that high.  Eli Manning is going to be 37 years old next month, and his best days are clearly behind them.  IF the Giants feel Darnold or Rosen are their QBOTF, and they pass on them because they have Eli Manning under contract than they deserve to wallow in mediocrity for the next decade.  There's a dozen other franchises that are envious of their position.  I'd honestly be very surprised if the Giants passed on a QB this year.  They're poised to have a franchise QB available, and I'd be willing to bet that they take on.

The problem is I've already mentioned that I think two QBs are going top 5.  My guess is Darnold to the Browns and Rosen to the Giants.  I think another QB (either Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson) goes in that 8-12 range, while another QB (Baker Mayfield) goes late 1st.  The point I'm trying to make is that even if Josh Rosen goes 1st overall to Cleveland, there are enough teams that are picking before Arizona does at 11/12 that would likely take a QB before they have the opportunity to.  I think if Arizona is taking a QB, they're likely looking at Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield.

Thoughts on the Browns:

They don't need to re-sign Gordon, he isn't a FA yet because of years not accruing while he was suspended.

The FA signings are solid, but I'm guessing they get one BIG acquisition at QB/WR/CB/S because of the huuuuuge cap space. Thinking Trumaine Johnson, Allen Robinson, Tyrod Taylor, etc.

If we're moving down from 4 to 10 with Minkah and Barkley still available, we're going to need more than that.

Our OL and LB groups are two of the three strongest position groups along with DL, there's NO way we spend 3/5 top picks there. Biggest need areas are WR/QB/CB/FS, then (with your FA signings) MORE WR, developmental OT, and BPAs.

Carolina's could be worse. Don't think Penny or a RB in general is in our sights. Even without J-Stew we CMC, Cam Artis Payne (Stew replacement), and Fozzy Whittaker. Which should be fine. Meeks would be a good guy to bring in some competitiveness on the outside since neither Daryl Worley or Kevon Seymour has stepped up opposite James Bradberry. Elliott would make for some good safety depth since we have none... would have liked to see a tight end picked somewhere in here.

*Mock offseason updated* 

5 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Thoughts on the Browns:

They don't need to re-sign Gordon, he isn't a FA yet because of years not accruing while he was suspended.

The FA signings are solid, but I'm guessing they get one BIG acquisition at QB/WR/CB/S because of the huuuuuge cap space. Thinking Trumaine Johnson, Allen Robinson, Tyrod Taylor, etc.

If we're moving down from 4 to 10 with Minkah and Barkley still available, we're going to need more than that.

Our OL and LB groups are two of the three strongest position groups along with DL, there's NO way we spend 3/5 top picks there. Biggest need areas are WR/QB/CB/FS, then (with your FA signings) MORE WR, developmental OT, and BPAs.

I'm not sure how the thing words, to me honest. I saw him listed as a RFA.

It's hard for me to imagine the Browns landing a big FA when there are other more desirable landing spots also with a lot of cap room. As a Raiders fan, I wouldn't hold my breath landing a big fish outside of the offensive line.

I don't think it will take much more, if at all. Neither Fitzpatrick or Barkley play "premium" positions and I'd argue Fitzpatrick is not a top 5 prospect.

3 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

Carolina's could be worse. Don't think Penny or a RB in general is in our sights. Even without J-Stew we CMC, Cam Artis Payne (Stew replacement), and Fozzy Whittaker. Which should be fine. Meeks would be a good guy to bring in some competitiveness on the outside since neither Daryl Worley or Kevon Seymour has stepped up opposite James Bradberry. Elliott would make for some good safety depth since we have none... would have liked to see a tight end picked somewhere in here.

I don't believe Cameron Artis-Payne makes for a sufficient Stewart replacement. A complimentary back to CMC is a position of need in my opinion. I don't think CMC can hold up without being in a legitimate timeshare.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Eagles will aboslutely make some cuts and resigns.

Look for players like Torrey Smith, Brent Celek, and Vinny Curry to get cut.

Nigel Bradham is a priority resign.

Also look for Eagles to trade down or trade players for picks. Howie is a wheeler and dealer 

I don't think Roseman will be as active this offseason considering how well the team did this year. I'd be surprised to see Curry get cut. I updated the mock including a Torrey Smith cut.

A complimentary guy to Olsen is what the coaching staff has really wanted for awhile though. Struck out with Jared Cook in free agency when he went to GB. Team targeted Hunter Henry in '16 draft but then Vernon Butler fell. Team went on record saying OJ Howard was the pick if CMC had been gone.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think Roseman will be as active this offseason considering how well the team did this year. I'd be surprised to see Curry get cut. I updated the mock including a Torrey Smith cut.

Prepare to be suprised then, Curry's cap hit is $11 million and they just drafted Derek Barnett to go with Brandon Graham. Curry is decent but not worth that. Money is best used elsewhere.

Using team success to gauge how active a team will be in trades is kind of silly. Especially since the Eagles have made the most trades in recent history and currently stand without a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 0% percent chance the Eagles leave the first 2 days of the draft with 1 player. 

21 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Using team success to gauge how active a team will be in trades is kind of silly. Especially since the Eagles have made the most trades in recent history and currently stand without a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 0% percent chance the Eagles leave the first 2 days of the draft with 1 player. 

The team is also cap strapped.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

The team is also cap strapped.

Yes and no. A couple easy cuts

Torrey Smith $5 mill savings

Brent Celek $4 mill savings

Vinny Curry $8 mill savings (if a June 1 cut)

Plus a restructure of Lane Johnson who has a high cap number and no guaranteed money because of his suspension will get them to about $18 mill + in cap space.

They wont be heavy players in FA but fully expect them to resign Bradham and maybe 1 or 2 other mid level guys with that.

Also not sure what cap space has to do with a team motivated to trade around in the draft.

Archived