GDT Thread Week 16 at Redskins

AnAngryAmerican

VJ proved again today that he was the worst hire of the six HCs hired at the end of last season. If Elway thinks he would have done any better if Elway had given a better QB then he is sorely mistaken.

Joseph looked a beaten man in the post-game presser - it looked like he assumed because they had one the last two, all they had to do to win today was show up (and they played like it). He clearly didn't have any idea what went wrong.

41 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

VJ proved again today that he was the worst hire of the six HCs hired at the end of last season. If Elway thinks he would have done any better if Elway had given a better QB then he is sorely mistaken.

Joseph looked a beaten man in the post-game presser - it looked like he assumed because they had one the last two, all they had to do to win today was show up (and they played like it). He clearly didn't have any idea what went wrong.

So you think hes still safe?

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Hate to toot my own horn (again) and tell you guys how right I was (again) but we should have hired Kyle. 

The 49ers weren’t winning anything until they brought in and started a competent NFL QB.

They were 1-10 until Jimmy G was named starter.  Seems like Jimmy G has had more to do with the turn around rather than Shanahan being some sort of miracle worker of a coach.

It also strengthens the point I’ve made 50,000x over the course of this season, Denver, and any team for that matter, will never be much better than they are today until they find the answer at QB.

36 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The 49ers weren’t winning anything until they brought in and started a competent NFL QB.

They were 1-10 until Jimmy G was named starter.  Seems like Jimmy G has had more to do with the turn around rather than Shanahan being some sort of miracle worker of a coach.

It also strengthens the point I’ve made 50,000x over the course of this season, Denver, and any team for that matter, will never be much better than they are today until they find the answer at QB.

To be fair, the 49ers offense from a coaching perspective has been impressive. Vance hasn't exactly blown us away with any Xs and Os or scheming. 

45 minutes ago, champ11 said:

To be fair, the 49ers offense from a coaching perspective has been impressive. Vance hasn't exactly blown us away with any Xs and Os or scheming. 

Plus, that's not just any QB - that's an elite-level QB.   Not every QB you bring in is elite-level.    For every JimmyG and Watson, you get 9-10 Trubiskys...or worse, Paxton Lynch's.   The other part is SF's run D is now actually decent with Reuben Foster back since week 7 (from horrible to average with him at ILB) and then Solomon Thomas having joined them in the 2H from his injuries.   We won't get better without QB upgrade, but again, it's not a binary choice - we need to be better in a bunch of areas, too.   We could actually address those areas, if we drafted well - but we haven't.   SF didn't panic and reach for QB in the draft when one wasn't there who was worth taking (going Thomas at 1.3 instead of Trubisky and then Foster in late Rd1), understanding their plan to get QB for 2018.  Wish Elway would take notice - don't force a pick out of need.   

A few observations from yesterday:

1.   Our T's were just abused on pass pro.   Bolles is a rookie, and so he can get better, but man, that wasn't pretty for him or Stephenson.  Both Preston Smith and Kerrigan took either to town.

2.  Isiaih McKenzie really showed just how raw he was on that catch - at Week 16, to not understand that the clock doesn't stop when you get tackled inbounds, is inexcusable.  It seriously questions if he can even digest a pro playbook.   That's a rookie mistake in the preseason, not with 1 week to go in the regular season.

3.  Our run game was the only thing worth taking hope in.   If Bolles can't get pass pro down as a LT next year, then moving him to RT becomes an option.   He's a strong asset in run blocking, regardless of his liability in the pass pro game. 

4.  On D, the one hope for our ILB situation - the news that Marshall has been playing with a torn rotator cuff all season.    Like with Reuben Foster, if you're not a QB, the recovery rates are excellent, so there's hope we only need to upgrade 1 ILB spot.  That's necessary, because otherwise we are down 2 spots.   Man. 

5.  Will Parks had struggles, but his ball hawk skills are there, that was a very instinctive end zone pick. 

6.  CJ Anderson came to play, as much as I think he's too expensive to keep given how disposable RB is given how tight our cap situation will be for addressing our needs, he's at least given real consideration to just keep going year-to-year (but I think we'd still be crazy to pass up going after a real playmaker at RB if the spot is right, like Rd 3 Sony Michel, for example).   Booker's role seems very clearly to be our pass game weapon, which is fine.    JC was a complete waste of snaps and $3M.   Sigh.

The big upside for next week - our L has us at the 6 pick, and if HOU wins 1 game, we're up to the 5 pick.  And if Tampa can pull off the improbable NO upset next week (they've been playing their NFCS teams tough the last 2 weeks, 1 score away from W's), we'd move up to #4.   If we are playing Paxton Lynch as VJ has already indicated, even if KC is resting guys, don't see a W in the books for us.   But, we can at least look to the future.

On that note, Merry Xmas guys, back to the family lol.

I am starting to think we need to keep CJ around. He has been our most consistent offensive player this season and if we can restructure him down from 4.5M to around 3M, he should stay. The little bowling ball has been here forever and is constantly underrated, I hope he retires a Bronco but realize how unlikely that is as he is a RB.

McKenzie should be cut this offseason. He is an unmitigated disaster.

Bolles belongs at RT. If we don't go QB in the draft, I would hope that Connor Williams is the pick. Even over Quenton Nelson and maybe even over Barkley. A mediocre QB and a bookend LT would push the team into contention for the playoffs right away.

7 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

We'll find out in a week (personally I hope not - there is zero evidence the guy will ever make a HC).

But I will add - sacking Joseph will not solve anything unless Russell goes with him.

Yeah I don't know why Russell still has a job. Apparently Elway isn't interested in making changes to the FO, a reason could be Ellis doesn't want to pony up the funds. 

Archived