GDT Thread Week 16 at Redskins

AnAngryAmerican

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Bruce Arians is apparently on his way out in Arizona. If Elway comes to his senses and fires Vance, and Ellis allows us to spend real money on a real head coach, Arians would be at or at least very near the top of my list. 

I would love Arians here but isn't part of the reason he's leaving health related?

Now I'm no fan of Patriots apologist Mike Floirio, or really just about all of NBC Sports/PFT, but he's throwing out that Christmas could come late this year and Vance could be shown the door

Add it all up, and at a minimum next week’s regular-season finale against the Chiefs requires the Broncos to at least be mildly competitive. Even then, it may not matter; after seeing the crowd or lack thereof at the stadium named for a defunct company on New Year’s Eve, Elway’s New Year’s resolution may be to pull the plug on the coaching staff and try again.

Now this is the problem with internet media in 2017, this entire post is entirely speculation. Florio isn't reporting this in the traditional sense, he's making a guess that it's possible Elway opts to part ways with Vance. There are no quotes or inside information from sources (I doubt Florio has any sources of note at Dove Valley), just someone throwing out a piece that is little more than click bait. That being said, I wouldn't mind at all if Florio's speculation is correct. 

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Now I'm no fan of Patriots apologist Mike Floirio, or really just about all of NBC Sports/PFT, but he's throwing out that Christmas could come late this year and Vance could be shown the door

Now this is the problem with internet media in 2017, this entire post is entirely speculation. Florio isn't reporting this in the traditional sense, he's making a guess that it's possible Elway opts to part ways with Vance. There are no quotes or inside information from sources (I doubt Florio has any sources of note at Dove Valley), just someone throwing out a piece that is little more than click bait. That being said, I wouldn't mind at all if Florio's speculation is correct. 

He's probably taking cues from Kiszla, and to a lesser extent, Klis, who have both been very forward in saying fan support at home games when the team sucks is going to be a tipping point. I do agree this is mainly speculative, but the fact that Denver has been less competitive than CLEVELAND tells me all I need to know. Honestly, I don't know why people think Vance is anything to be excited about even WITH a competent QB. It's not like the team lost a bunch of close games. If they performed like the Chargers did under Anthony Lynn this year, with a long winning streak and a handful of very close losses, it would be obvious he deserves more time. That, however, was not the case with this team, and they routinely looked disinterested, and Vance comes off as goofy and clueless. Once the questions about him as a leader started to bubble up, you heard players go to bat for him, but only then, and it's been quiet since. I would imagine if we get blown out at home by the Chiefs backups, he's gone. He may be no matter what, but we'll see. Denver needs to take a long hard look at coaches who have been intimately involved in QB development. Matt LaFleur, Frank Reich, Pat Shurmur(?) are all intriguing to me. I would love Arians.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

He's probably taking cues from Kiszla, and to a lesser extent, Klis, who have both been very forward in saying fan support at home games when the team sucks is going to be a tipping point. I do agree this is mainly speculative, but the fact that Denver has been less competitive than CLEVELAND tells me all I need to know. Honestly, I don't know why people think Vance is anything to be excited about even WITH a competent QB. It's not like the team lost a bunch of close games. If they performed like the Chargers did under Anthony Lynn this year, with a long winning streak and a handful of very close losses, it would be obvious he deserves more time. That, however, was not the case with this team, and they routinely looked disinterested, and Vance comes off as goofy and clueless. Once the questions about him as a leader started to bubble up, you heard players go to bat for him, but only then, and it's been quiet since. I would imagine if we get blown out at home by the Chiefs backups, he's gone. He may be no matter what, but we'll see. Denver needs to take a long hard look at coaches who have been intimately involved in QB development. Matt LaFleur, Frank Reich, Pat Shurmur(?) are all intriguing to me. I would love Arians.

Not sure how Reich would be as a HC but he's an awful offensive coordinator at least when he was there with Rivers. He was well hated in San Diego for their offense. Not sure how he was in developing QB's either. The other two you mentioned, I've heard good things but if it came down to it, I think Elway would go for a vet HC like Arians.

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

We know the only thing that Ellis cares about is the bottom line, that's why Klis and Kiszla talk about how empty seats at a home game could force the organization's hand. A losing team, with a half empty stadium that will be lucky to get one prime time game next year makes it harder to Ellis to gouge some company for stadium naming rights.

I like the idea of Bruce Arians a lot and I think everyone here is well aware of my affinity for David Shaw, but right now both look like pipe dreams. I think, if we do make a change, we go the veteran HC route. I don't think they will roll the dice on another hot coordinator rookie HC after the Vance disaster. A couple other names that have been mentioned are Todd Haley and Mike Smith, both of whom I think I could live with. 

I could live with Shaw. I think he'll be a good coach. I also like Mike Smith. He's a steady hand and appears to be respected highly. Haley I am not a fan of. He seems to have icy relationships everywhere he goes. I get the feeling he'll end up having a short lived tenure because he'll rub a bunch of people the wrong way. Someone with a proven track record of QB development needs to be a part of this team if they go the rookie route.

Archived