CHRISTMAS DAY GDT!!!

JDLefebvre

Harrison was a great player on the field, but never really a leader. Tomlin wanted him gone years ago and had to be talked into bringing him back by defensive players. His handling this year wasn't all that different from the past two. Especially last year. He popped off in the media. I don't think that led to the release.

Frankly, I think this was just James requesting his release. I don't think there was any big blow-up or ego on the side of Tomlin and staff involved. Harrison probably had a blunt talk with Tomlin and requested a release. There's mutual respect there.

All that being said, I still hope he doesn't sign with the Patriots. Because I still think he has enough in the tank athletically to go along with his knowledge of the Steelers defense. Or maybe he's the ultimate Trojan horse.

9 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I'm not.  He's been mis-handled and mis-treated.  This is no way to treat a man who has done so much for the organization.  Bad job Tomlin & Colbert.  

Sentiment doesn’t win you games. Harrison isn’t the player he was and is done on the field. They gave him a chance to come back and it didn’t work. 

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Sentiment doesn’t win you games. Harrison isn’t the player he was and is done on the field. They gave him a chance to come back and it didn’t work. 

Exactly.   Its laughable to act like we should keep a player based on what they USED to be.  Question it from a depth perspective if you want, but Harrison isnt remotely close to what he once was.

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

It's not about sentiment, it's about respect.  They should never signed a 39 year old player if they didn't think he could contribute anymore.  Bad evaluation or bad usage of man.  Either way, he deserved better.  

Harrison is likely to be back, I highly doubt we would be in this situation if Antonio Brown hasn't got hurt.

They liked our offensive linemen depth enough to keep them from releasing them, it's the receiving corp that can afford to get rid of a player like Justin Hunter.

Wait and see, no knee-jerk reaction.

With the Jags losing and the Steelers needing only to win one of their next two games to get a bye I wonder how Tomlin will use his starters? Even if they lose in Houston they aren't losing to Cleveland at home. I hope he is smart with how much he plays Bell.

6 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

It's not about sentiment, it's about respect.  They should never signed a 39 year old player if they didn't think he could contribute anymore.  Bad evaluation or bad usage of man.  Either way, he deserved better.  

Steelers didnt owe him a thing.  This isnt a charity.

He very likely wouldnt have been on a team this year if the Steelers hadnt signed him.  May have gotten a spot due to injury at some point.

On top of that, he complained about not playing much, so maybe they released him because he made it clear he didn't want to be here.

I question the move from a depth standpoint, but in no way did this team owe him anything.   If not for the Steelers giving him chance after chance early in his career, he wouldve been out of the league 10 years ago.

34 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

With the Jags losing and the Steelers needing only to win one of their next two games to get a bye I wonder how Tomlin will use his starters? Even if they lose in Houston they aren't losing to Cleveland at home. I hope he is smart with how much he plays Bell.

I think he will stay the course of playing starters since we can still get the number 1 seed

can see him pulling ben, bell, etc... if NE is up huge on the jets by halftime

Archived