Merry Christmas GDT: Raiders @ Eagles

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

that's why I think he is hurt... coming into the league, one of Carrs strengths as a prospect was his arm strength.... He was dinged for being from a small school, average size, and being a carr., system.. no questions about his arm, his arm was actually considered elite... he also shown in the NFL he can make throws others can not make, and he use to like to go deep.... this year everything is a fast pass play... alot of ducks... arm strength is not there.... I just think he is playing in pain regardless of what he says... he wants to pride himself as a iron man or whatever

Yea, I have to believe something is going on. You don't go from being in the MVP discussion to being this bad without some outside influence effecting you. It's not as simple as 'he's regressed' or 'he's just bad'. Bad players don't have years that he strung together.  He had a bad year, but I'm still extremely optimistic about next year and his career in general.

Take it with a large grain of salt, but it seems many great QB's have had a down year around the same time Carr has had. 

Carr was 13th QB in past 30 years to start 10 games as rookie and improve passer rating in the next 2 years. Only Aikman improved again in year 4. The other 11 dropped an average of nearly 10 points; Carr down 8.3 points so far this year for #Raiders

https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/943969740233392128

18 hours ago, NickButera said:

Yea, I have to believe something is going on. You don't go from being in the MVP discussion to being this bad without some outside influence effecting you. It's not as simple as 'he's regressed' or 'he's just bad'. Bad players don't have years that he strung together.  He had a bad year, but I'm still extremely optimistic about next year and his career in general.

Take it with a large grain of salt, but it seems many great QB's have had a down year around the same time Carr has had. 

https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/943969740233392128

It' could be the leg.

Payton Manning, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Ryan Tannehill, Andy Dalton, David Carr are 9 of the eleven...not the best group to be associated with outside of Peyton and Luck.

But did you guys know that Russel Wilson has never had a sub 90. QB rating for a season?! That's insane! How are people not talking him up as one of the top 5 best QBs in the game?!

On 12/28/2017 at 9:45 AM, Chali21 said:

It' could be the leg.

Can we stop making injury excuses for Carr for his poor play? I know he's a likeable guy, but like why is it so hard to admit the guy has just plain sucked this year without blaming other things.

The broken leg happened over a year ago and the back injury was a pain tolerance injury that many QBs have come back from in a week. He just didn't have a good year. It happens. Virtually every QB outside the top 5-6 have up and down periods in their careers. Hell, look at the last two MVP winners. Both have had big years followed by extremely shaky years like the one Carr is having.

Next year will be a big and very telling year for Carr. Elite QBs may have a down year here and there, but very rarely have two back to back down seasons. 

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Can we stop making injury excuses for Carr for his poor play? I know he's a likeable guy, but like why is it so hard to admit the guy has just plain sucked this year without blaming other things.

The broken leg happened over a year ago and the back injury was a pain tolerance injury that many QBs have come back from in a week. He just didn't have a good year. It happens. Virtually every QB outside the top 5-6 have up and down periods in their careers. Hell, look at the last two MVP winners. Both have had big years followed by extremely shaky years like the one Carr is having.

Next year will be a big and very telling year for Carr. Elite QBs may have a down year here and there, but very rarely have two back to back down seasons. 

I mostly agree with this line of thinking. Carr played bad this year and there’s no good excuse for it. Game after game you see him swallow open throws down field, fail to properly navigate the pocket, fail to properly read the field, and fail to make an accurate throw. Carr made at least two-three of those mistakes every game and they were debilitating. Compounded with regression from Cooper, Crabtree continuing to drop the ball, and lack of potency in the run game when Lynch went out made for a gumbo of doom for the offense this year.

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

No. We can theorize about the leg and back all we want because none of us know for sure that they didn't really affect him. Just because someone else came back from the same injury doesn't mean Carr's is the same. He could have different pain issues or range of motion or reactions to pain meds they shoot him up with.

I also think there are other reasons for the poor play but injury is definitely among the things that people outside the lockerroom can look at as a possible cause.

9 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

True but if he’s not stepping into his throws because he’s used to not doing that due to the leg pain it plays a role. Mariota is going through the same thing. Carr’s inability to throw deep, which coaches see in practice, could be why they are trying to throw quick passes. Honestly we have no idea why he’s been poor. 

8 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

No. We can theorize about the leg and back all we want because none of us know for sure that they didn't really affect him. Just because someone else came back from the same injury doesn't mean Carr's is the same. He could have different pain issues or range of motion or reactions to pain meds they shoot him up with.

I also think there are other reasons for the poor play but injury is definitely among the things that people outside the lockerroom can look at as a possible cause.

Just like you say you trust the coaches assessments of player's because they know more then us, why don't you trust the Raiders medical staff knowing more than us about Carr's injury? I doubt Carr would still be out there if he was still feeling any type of pain or lingering issues from the leg or back injury. This is a guy we just gave 125 million to and expect to be the face of the Raiders breaking into the Vegas market . Mark Davis wouldn't risk one season of Carr playing hurt, possibly re-injuring himself for the lame duck city of Oakland.

Now is there possibly it's a mental issue, from fear of getting hurt again? I would agree would that. He doesn't step into his throws, gets the ball out too fast. I've never seen him throw so many fadeaway, backfoot passes before this year. 

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

True but if he’s not stepping into his throws because he’s used to not doing that due to the leg pain it plays a role. Mariota is going through the same thing. Carr’s inability to throw deep, which coaches see in practice, could be why they are trying to throw quick passes. Honestly we have no idea why he’s been poor. 

Again. If we are playing a QB who can't step into his throws because he is still hurt from an injury that happened over a year ago, Fire everybody. Because there is no reason why he should be on the field, hampering everybody else.

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Again. If we are playing a QB who can't step into his throws because he is still hurt from an injury that happened over a year ago, Fire everybody. Because there is no reason why he should be on the field, hampering everybody else.

He didn't say he can't. He said he got use to not doing it because of the previous leg pain.

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Just like you say you trust the coaches assessments of player's because they know more then us, why don't you trust the Raiders medical staff knowing more than us about Carr's injury? I doubt Carr would still be out there if he was still feeling any type of pain or lingering issues from the leg or back injury. This is a guy we just gave 125 million to and expect to be the face of the Raiders breaking into the Vegas market . Mark Davis wouldn't risk one season of Carr playing hurt, possibly re-injuring himself for the lame duck city of Oakland.

Now is there possibly it's a mental issue, from fear of getting hurt again? I would agree would that. He doesn't step into his throws, gets the ball out too fast. I've never seen him throw so many fadeaway, backfoot passes before this year. 

I was just pointing out that even tho the injuries you compared Carr's to were the same in name doesn't make them the same in how the player healed, reacted to the rehab or adjusted to playing with limitations.

Archived