Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Even with the RD3, I still wouldn't accept it with Love being less than 100% healthy.

This ☝️ - IMO GB has zero incentive to move on from Willis at this stage. There's a long season to play out, QB1's been nicked / missed time already and it appears we've found a dynamic / cheap youngster to fill the role of QB2 who can win us some games. 

• Like 3

I'll admit to totally not thinking anyone available could do more than be a caretaker in relief of Love. And technically, I was right in that regard, as Willis isn't asked to do much; most of the lifting is in the run game and big plays by the D. That said, I'm still deeply surprised and impressed by what Willis has done when asked to do something. This exceeded my expectations.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Why is there this idea that Willis "isn't asked to do much"

Dude had 73 yds rushing and over 10 YPA.

Just because the plays are different than some QBs execute doesn't mean it's "not much".

He's making legit NFL plays with his brain, arm and legs out there.

I heard so much of this chatter from tennessee fans in the audience. he had multiple decisions to make nearly every play and did it at a super high level consistently. 

He was taking off with his legs to beat man coverages. Even the runs were heady plays. 

37 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Just because the plays are different than some QBs execute doesn't mean it's "not much".

33 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I heard so much of this chatter from tennessee fans in the audience. he had multiple decisions to make nearly every play and did it at a super high level consistently. 

He was taking off with his legs to beat man coverages. Even the runs were heady plays. 

That first deep ball to Watson was a thing of beauty. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Plus the run game concepts are not simple iso handoffs, motions, misdirection, etc... it's a tough offense to run.

I think people are mistaking him not being asked to "do much" for LaFleur taking his foot off the gas in the 4th Q the last two weeks. Though this week he did attempt a PA pass late in the 4th, and Kraft simply dropped it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I think if you chart his "risk" throws and completion % on those throws, he's got to be near 100%, right?  He's taking calculated risks and they are working out.  And he's not taking many.  Huge plus for the kid and his brain.

The locker room loves him.  Our post game locker room celebration was insane and full of energy because of him.

I don't feel like the coaching staff is going to overcomplicate things in the offense for him.  I feel like they are bringing him along slowly, so I don't blame Malik for some of our conservative stuff.  It was telling, though, that they gave him more this past week.  He may not be fully up to speed yet, but he's not far off.  So, another check for his brain and how he prepares.

His legs.  Love it.  As a backup, he's leaving it all out there.  Long term starter?  He'd terrify me if he had a real contract.  He needs to slide and not take some of those hits, if he were to be a full time starter.  That's neither a minus or plus to me on his football brain.  Kid is a backup, he knows it and he's doing all he can to win.  Maybe that changes if he is "the guy" for a franchise.

Long way of saying...yeah, he's making legit NFL plays with his brain, arm and legs.  :)

• Like 3

Put a bunch (like a cup or two) of flour into a bowl.

Add seasoned salt, celery salt, adobe pepper (ground), cayenne pepper (ground) and a little lemon pepper.  

Mix flour with seasonings thoroughly so that you can smell the seasonings in there.  Don't be bashful.

In a separate bowl, mix up some scrambled eggs.  Two eggs, little milk and whisk away.  If you are feeling giddy, substitute evaporate milk for regular milk.

Get some ground up panko.  Or take your favorite cracker, I recommend Ritz or Saltines.  Blend them into a fine dust in a food processor.  Or, roll them into dust with a rolling pin. (If using pin, put crackers in a bag first.)

Pat your crow strips dry.  

Take crow pieces into the flour first.  Coat them good.  Then dip into the egg batter, then finally into the crushed crackers.  

Put into a deep fryer heated to $375.  Cook until they float.

Take them out, put them into a separate bowl and splash in some honey and Frank's Red Hot.  Let them sit for 5 minutes and enjoy.

That's how you eat crow, boys.  And I'm earing my fair share about Willis!

I'd like them to use Willis when Love gets back.  Have him in for a few plays a game.  Love pitches to Willis who can run or throw.  It wouldn't be a staple of this offense but a play or two a game.  I think Willis could be a weapon if used correctly when Love gets back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I'd like them to use Willis when Love gets back.  Have him in for a few plays a game.  Love pitches to Willis who can run or throw.  It wouldn't be a staple of this offense but a play or two a game.  I think Willis could be a weapon if used correctly when Love gets back.

If Willis also had some TE receiving chops it could make it deadly. Sean Payton was one of the few coaches in recent memory crazy enough to try it but he either had an aging QB1 or a guy who wasn’t that great so he was willing to mix it up. If we came up with our own version of the Brotherly Shove, maybe the Cheese Press or something like that, I wouldn’t mind Malik getting into that mix instead of Jordan. 

52 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Like New Orleans uses taysom Hill?

Edited by Pugger

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Put me in the category of nope for that.

Love is so much better.  I don't want him splitting out wide, or sitting on the bench, so Willis can get a few snaps.

The only way I could see Willis under center would be some 2 pt conversion plays.  Having to defend against his legs would just be another thing for the defense to have to game plan for.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

Like New Orleans uses taysom Hill?

Yes, but Willis would be more of a halfback option type player.  Love pitches it to him and he has the option to run or throw.  I'm talking 1 or 2 plays a game.  It's a wrinkle he could practice during the week.  Love doesn't come off the field during this play and is the QB.

Edited by NFLGURU