Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

1 minute ago, ReasonablySober said:

A $5.31 million dollar bratwurst. 

Yeah but its the last year of the deal. Basically free money.  And **** dallas probably split the bill.

But also it was a joke. I dont give a **** who the backup QB is. We wont be good without love.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah but its the last year of the deal. Basically free money.  And **** dallas probably split the bill.

But also it was a joke. I dont give a **** who the backup QB is. We wont be good without love.

Agree, all this hand wringing over who the backup QB is a waste of time. Not winning anything more with Willis than with the corpse of Bart Starr, but it will help some people sleep better for now, I guess.    

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I wonder if they can do some Taysom Hill stuff with Willis.  Like Taysom Hill was and is a good football player, it's the contract that makes no sense.

Something along those lines entered my mind when I saw the trade, Willis could be an asset running a few Wildcat plays throughout the season. It gives the future opponents one more thing they need to prepare for. So that might be worth a 7th round pick. 

I’ll be curious how this actually shakes out. I’ve been on the patience train with two backup QBs but for essentially nothing I believe Willis is an upgrade once he gets comfortable to either option.

So is this like a 3 way race for QB2 all practice season long or ? No way. Clifford or Pratt possibly both are gone. I prefer Clifford for QB2 the first month of the season. Willis on the roster learning. Pratt on practice squad. Cut Clifford once Willis is up to speed if he looks better.

• Like 1

Just now, ccecilnosebleed said:

So higher ceiling but so far miserable performance in regular season games. Are we really sure the Packers just lock him in at #2 right away? I’m having a hard time believing that. 

It's genuinely difficult to bring in a QB who does not offer you a better alternative to Sean Clifford.  

• Like 1

I mean basically no team is going to survive the season with a backup but the goal is to be able to survive a game or two if Love goes down with an ankle sprain.  

Packers could tailor a game plan to Willis that resembles what the Ravens did with Tyler Huntley a few years back. Ravens still went 2-2 there. Would be a similar plan in Green Bay. You're not expecting Willis to throw for 300. You're expecting him to make maybe a few throws and win with his legs when needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Did she say: "what you talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

Should of added I was just looking at who looked better than our qbs (most of them) and would also likely be available or the third qb on their team.

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not the joker I wanted but is this joker better than the jokers we have? 
tbd

I think he probably is better.  He was a 3rd round pick, and I believe that he was at least in the discussion for best QB of that draft class, as poor as it was.

With no preseason games left, we won't get a chance to see him play unless Love gets hurt.  I'm putting this one in the hands of Packer player development in hope they got something to work with.  Gute must see something in him, Willis wasn't making the Titans 53.  He's a project and we'll see what happens.

Edited by NFLGURU