Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

46 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

So higher ceiling but so far miserable performance in regular season games. Are we really sure the Packers just lock him in at #2 right away? I’m having a hard time believing that. 

Hard to say, he might be gone by the Philly game or might be worth the developmental time this season in practice?  We'll see.

Edited by NFLGURU

I had a quick look at "on the bubble" QBs around the NFL who teams play a similar offence to us (49ers, Rams, Dolphins, Jets, Falcons, Vikings, Titans), there aren't many options out there. We needed a backup QB who can step into and comfortably run our offence.

Taylor Heinicke maybe but giving up a draft pick for a 31 years old is not ideal.

Mike White was just cut.

Joshua Dobbs possibly

All things considered I think we did the best we could with those constraints. Willis has a strong arm, make plays with his feet and only 25. A low draft pick for someone like that is ok given those circumstances.

Looking at QBs who does not know our system, I see that Tyler Huntley is likely to be cut from the Browns. He may have been someone who we could take a flyer on but he would be a backup with little to no knowledge of our offence. Having a backup learning from scratch is not ideal especially a week before the new season.

Edited by Chili

Surprised they couldn't cough up someone like Heath/DuBose for Willis. 7th round pick seems inconsequential but when your last 4 are Walker, Valentine, Pratt, King, they seem more valuable. Gutey likes to take a shot there and it's been paying off.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

We effectively spent a 5th rounder (Clifford), a 7th rounder (Pratt) and another 7th rounder (Willis) trying to resolve the backup quarterback situation in the last two years. Not great use of resources.

I don't think we will completely give up on Clifford just yet. I think we will still put him on the practice squad whilst keeping three on the roster.

Nah Cliffy is going to be toast.  Look at it this way Chili dog  how about trading a 5th and 2 7th's for a 3rd?  Not so bad when you look at it that way.  Think we'll keep Pratt to develop him.  So more like a 5th and 7th for a 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Surprised they couldn't cough up someone like Heath/DuBose for Willis. 7th round pick seems inconsequential but when your last 4 are Walker, Valentine, Pratt, King, they seem more valuable. Gutey likes to take a shot there and it's been paying off.

They probably want to hang on to both those guys.  Be my guess.  But you are right Gute has been striking gold in the 7th.  Can always trade down a bit in the next draft pick up a couple of late rounders. 

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That would be if Tennessee had a need at WR and didn't like their own developmental players.  Ridley, Hopkins, Boyd, nick Westbrook ihkine, Burks, Kyle Phillips, Jha'Quan Jackson.

Nearly every team has developmental players at all positions.  So the idea of trading a 6-8 depth piece WR is probably not likely

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Something along those lines entered my mind when I saw the trade, Willis could be an asset running a few Wildcat plays throughout the season. It gives the future opponents one more thing they need to prepare for. So that might be worth a 7th round pick. 

From the little that I've seen of the guy, the defense surely doenst have to worry about his throwing the ball.
Hopefully Clements can mold him into an NFL QB.

3 hours ago, pack4to84 said:

Packers make a surprising quarterback trade to replace Sean Clifford

Wow. The Green Bay Packers decided neither Sean Clifford nor Michael Pratt was their answer at the backup quarterback position.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Packers are trading for former Tennessee Titans quarterback Malik Willis, who was a third-round pick just only two years ago. Green Bay is sending a 2025 seventh-rounder to Tennessee.

It's a low-risk, high-reward move for the Packers, and it answers the uncertainty at the backup quarterback position. It likely ends Sean Clifford's time in Green Bay and also leaves Michael Pratt's future up in the air.

General manager Brian Gutekunst has done it again. He loves a trade before the roster cut deadline, and he has made a smart decision to add a veteran quarterback.

Packers trade for quarterback Malik Willis: Full details

Packers receive:

• QB Malik Willis

Titans receive:

• 2025 7th-round pick

There's your answer @SteelKing728

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well, if you want an additional 7th round pick, it's not hard to get an extra one by moving down at any point before round 7.

I'm almost certain due to the fact we were looking for a backup QB that we at least gave Tannehill a call due to his familiarity of LaFleur's system. It would be remiss of us not to check in and see what's there. The Packers are not big spenders so it's likely Tannehill would've declined had we made him an offer.

If you look at Malik Willis contract his base salary is this year is almost $1.2m. Tannehill probably would've commanded Flacco/Dalton numbers in the $3-4m range, more than double Willis contract. Considering how much we paid Love, I don't think we wanted to have a high priced backup too.

Willis made sense on so many levels. Age, Arm, Legs, Familar with system, Cheap contract with two years of control. Give him to Clements to figure out. All for a 7th round pick. The more I look into this the more I think we done as well as we possibly could to improve the backup situation even though he has been crap in the NFL so far.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

Back up QB is interesting. Definitely an athlete and brings some things to the table. Other 2 guys weren't exactly taking over. He could be something or he could be gone in 4 weeks when we bring guys back from IR. Worth a 7th round lotto ticket. Clements and Manion get another ball of clay. 

*echo of what was just said^^

Edited by Refugee

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

Willis made sense on so many levels. Age, Arm, Legs, Familar with system, Cheap contract with two years of control. Give him to Clements to figure out. All for a 7th round pick. The more I look into this the more I think we done as well as we possibly could to improve the backup situation even though he has been crap in the NFL so far.

How similar is the Tennessee system that Willis has been in for 2+ years to that of GB system?