Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

How similar is the Tennessee system that Willis has been in for 2+ years to that of GB system?

It's just a guess.

Obviously LaFleur was the offensive coordinator there in 2018. That was the year Henry blew up.

One of his coaches, Arthur Smith replaced him and basically continued where LaFleur left off.

Smith eventually left to become head coach of the Falcons and his underling Todd Downing took over and that's when they drafted Malik Willis.

The following year Downing left and once again his underling Tim Kelly took over.

Derrick Henry was the face of the offence the entire time so its unlikely the system LaFleur implemented would've changed much. So it stands to reason that Willis will at least know the basic concepts of LaFleur's offence.

Edited by Chili

24 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm almost certain due to the fact we were looking for a backup QB that we at least gave Tannehill a call due to his familiarity of LaFleur's system. It would be remiss of us not to check in and see what's there. The Packers are not big spenders so it's likely Tannehill would've declined had we made him an offer.

Again, if you're Tannehill why would you even consider Green Bay?  As I mentioned before, teams don't spend big on backup QBs when they're paying big money and barring injury Tannehill would only play in mop up duty.

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

It's just a guess.

Obviously LaFleur was the offensive coordinator there in 2018. That was the year Henry blew up.

One of his coaches, Arthur Smith replaced him and basically continued where LaFleur left off.

Smith eventually left to become head coach of the Falcons and his underling Todd Downing took over and that's when they drafted Malik Willis.

The following year Downing left and once again his underling Tim Kelly took over.

Derrick Henry was the face of the offence the entire time so its unlikely the offence LaFleur implemented would've changed much. So it stands to reason that Willis will at least know the basic concepts of LaFleur's offence.

MFL -> Smith -> Downing -> Callahan

That a few coaches removed from MLF.  Seems like a guess the system is close to GB.  Hell, how much of MLF system is similar in 2024 to what it was in 2018?

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Sort of Justin Fields tbh. We just didn't spend a FRP on him. 

I've actually seen this guy so something that Fields doesn't do well at all .. throw with anticipation.  I think he's got some upside for sure .. needs further development.   I'm not sure I like him as a #2 right now, but he's a step above Clifford and Pratt. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

MFL -> Smith -> Downing -> Callahan

That a few coaches removed from MLF.  Seems like a guess the system is close to GB.  Hell, how much of MLF system is similar in 2024 to what it was in 2018?

Another clue, When LaFleur became Packers head coach he hired Justin Outten to be our TE coach so he's very familiar with our system. He eventually left to become the Broncos coordinator. Obviously it didn't work out but he landed on his feet with the Titans as run game coordinator. This year Callahan was hired and he retained Otten as TE coach. This suggests the offences over the last couple of years had some similarities with ours.

There's a fairly good chance that Willis already knows the basics of the scheme which will translate to ours. There's a reason why the Packers went for him. He should be able to backup Love right away. If they didn't feel he could do it then we wouldn't have traded for him and looked elsewhere instead.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Another clue, When LaFleur became Packers head coach he hired Justin Outten to be our TE coach so he's very familiar with our system. He eventually left to become the Broncos coordinator. Obviously it didn't work out but he landed on his feet with the Titans as run game coordinator. This year Callahan was hired and he retained Otten as TE coach. This suggests the offences over the last couple of years had some similarities with ours.

There's a fairly good chance that Willis already knows the basics of the scheme which will translate to ours. There's a reason why the Packers went for him. He should be able to backup Love right away. If they didn't feel he could do it then we wouldn't have traded for him and looked elsewhere instead.

Perhaps. It will depend on how we structure the 53. Obviously we hope he never needs to play and especially not this year but hoping a new QB can come in and play is not always reality. He will get a crash course and an audition this year but it doesn’t mean we don’t have another guy (Pratt, most likely)waiting in the wing if he doesn’t work out. I hope he’s great, but he’s done zero to prove it in a Packers uniform.