Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

James Franklin is good at recruiting.  The rest of his skill set leaves something to be desired.

Was trying to remember where he coached before penn state, was thinking wake forest, so peeped his resume and didn’t know he was the packers receiving coach back in ‘05. That was my first year of packer fandom. At least to the point of watching every game. 

17 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Was trying to remember where he coached before penn state, was thinking wake forest, so peeped his resume and didn’t know he was the packers receiving coach back in ‘05. That was my first year of packer fandom. At least to the point of watching every game. 

He made Vanderbilt respectable for a few years.

I like it. We have shown 7th round picks are far from worthless, so it is absolutely true we might have been able to get an AJJr, Kaylen King, Rasheed Walker, or even a Grant Dubose type (who is a serious player to have on the PS assuming that he doesn't make the 53).

On the other hand, in the Rodgers years we saw just how much damage having nobody behind the starter could cause, or even just the worry thereof when it was a Tim Boyle or Joe Callahan type. 

This likely is the end of Clifford, with Pratt either going to the PS or rounding out the 53, depending I what we feel he can clear. If we feel he can make it there, I wouldn't be shocked to see Clifford and Willis on the 53 man roster early to promote competition - something this tsff are big in low down the roster (see  OL and DBs at the bottom of the depth chart or PS in recent years). 

What could be most exciting though as someone else pointed out, is if we can see if he can do some very basic other roles to be a bit of a Taysom Hill type. Probably not nearly as prominently featured, but just an extra wrinkle to help catch a team off guard here or there. If he can do a little bit of blocking and catch a basic short yardage pass (e.g. When overlooked/not covered) it could be a really useful extra look now or then during the year. 

It's yet another example of Gute and Co not being happy to just test on their laurels or being overly dogmatic about "draft and develop" though, which is great as for all his strengths that was surely Ted Thompson's biggest weakness that may have wound up costing us some potential SB rings/appearances. 

Even if Willis completely flips, I am very happy with this trade and what it signifies. 

We know that Malik Willis has alot of negative moments with the Titans, their fans think he's a joke of a QB which could very well be true but unlike Clifford he did manage to show some improvement year after year despite coordinator changes. On top of his solid preseason this year he had games like this last year.

All Throws and Runs WEEK 9 vs Kansas City`: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBTwPeLA2ko

2023 FULL Preseason Highlights Weeks 1-3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsMP5WU1bCY

The good thing about him is if he was forced to play in a game he at least has the arm to throw deep to Watson which will keep defences honest and allow us to lean on the run game. On top of that teams has to account for his mobility too. You can see the potential fit in our offence, might be able to eke out a win or two and that's all we can ask for in a backup.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, Chili said:

We know that Malik Willis has alot of negative moments with the Titans, their fans think he's a joke of a QB which could very well be true but unlike Clifford he did manage to show some improvement year after year despite coordinator changes. On top of his solid preseason this year he had games like this last year.

All Throws and Runs WEEK 9 vs Kansas City`: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBTwPeLA2ko

2023 FULL Preseason Highlights Weeks 1-3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsMP5WU1bCY

The good thing about him is if he was forced to play in a game he at least has the arm to throw deep to Watson which will keep defences honest and allow us to lean on the run game. On top of that teams has to account for his mobility too. You can see the potential fit in our offence, might be able to eke out a win or two and that's all we can ask for in a backup.

I agree that there is some reason to feel positive about a QB #2 who is quite different from our QB #1.

To my untrained eye, his college highlights had him throwing the long ball off an odd looking platform, like when a scrawny 13 year old keeps dropping threes on a basketball court. His running was elite at his level of competition.

He’s no Taysom Hill. His size is more Deebo Samuel.

If you go used car shopping for a second vehicle and everything you see has issues you don’t care for, maybe you go with the one that might do very well as long as you drive it differently from the way you drive your primary vehicle. But, you accept that it still might drop the tranny on the freeway if you have to drive it longer than planned. 

Lowkey hate this move, but also I acknowledge it's unlikely to have any impact in either direction so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Willis isn't an NFL QB.  By any measure.  I would 100% play Clifford before I'd play Willis - Clifford clearly has his issues but at least he's capable of throwing a pass with touch and timing on occasion.  Willis just has absolutely no feel as a passer at all.  Like, to the point that it's almost inspiring that he's still playing QB in 2024 in a professional football league.  I'd be willing to bet that no matter how much playing time he gets in his career he'll end with a comp % right about 50%.  Yeah, he can run, but frankly the danger of running QBs is basically non-existent if you can't throw; your change up to Dillon/Jacobs cannot be just be above average QB running.  You will score 7 points a game.

It's just a 7th round pick, Willis is still young, blah blah etc etc, but this is just lighting a 7th round pick on fire and now that they emptied the vault for their QB they can't keep throwing away potential cheap value without it eventually catching up. 

• Like 1

Kindda figured a QB or two would be released that would be "free" to go get.  Ridder was released.  Not sure he wouldn't have been just as good and we wouldn't have had to throw in that 7'th round pick.  

But I won't lose sleep over it.  

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think he probably is better.  He was a 3rd round pick, and I believe that he was at least in the discussion for best QB of that draft class, as poor as it was.

He was the most raw but also had the most athletic ability, IIRC

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Lowkey hate this move, but also I acknowledge it's unlikely to have any impact in either direction so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Willis isn't an NFL QB.  By any measure.  I would 100% play Clifford before I'd play Willis - Clifford clearly has his issues but at least he's capable of throwing a pass with touch and timing on occasion.  Willis just has absolutely no feel as a passer at all.  Like, to the point that it's almost inspiring that he's still playing QB in 2024 in a professional football league.  I'd be willing to bet that no matter how much playing time he gets in his career he'll end with a comp % right about 50%.  Yeah, he can run, but frankly the danger of running QBs is basically non-existent if you can't throw; your change up to Dillon/Jacobs cannot be just be above average QB running.  You will score 7 points a game.

It's just a 7th round pick, Willis is still young, blah blah etc etc, but this is just lighting a 7th round pick on fire and now that they emptied the vault for their QB they can't keep throwing away potential cheap value without it eventually catching up. 

The guy you want as your backup in this circumstance is someone who can come in during the game in which Love gets hurt and the packers are already leading, and run around with the ball and hopefully pick up 1-2 first downs.  Other than that, hand the ball off.

Once that specific week is over, you can go figure out what you want to do if Love is out an extended period.  You can go get clifford or whomever off the practice squad.  Maybe they give you a better chance to win a game start to finish.

But I think a mobile QB (read: running focused qb) running a really simple offense is your best bet to protect a lead.  Clifford is more likely to lose you that game, and neither QB is gonna pull off a comeback if Love gets hurt while down 14-3.

Unless you want to pay a tannehill 8-15M/year as a "just in case" QB then I like the idea of having a run around with your head cut off QB who is stylistically very different to the QB the opposing team was just facing.  They game planned for Jordan Love.  Don't put homeless man's jordan love out there, put homeless man's Lamar Jackson out there.  Defense isn't as ready for that.

54 minutes ago, Leader said:

This will piss off some Bears fans.  He's a poor man's Caleb Williams.  Same Height 10 lbs heavier moves like him.  After the Bears ruin Williams we'll ship him over for a couple of 1's! ha ha ha...

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

This will piss off some Bears fans.  He's a poor man's Caleb Williams.  Same Height 10 lbs heavier moves like him.  After the Bears ruin Williams we'll ship him over for a couple of 1's! ha ha ha...

I know next to nothing about him other than he struggled (for some reason) in TN. He's got a clean slate from me at this stage and I'm hopeful Clements and his crew can mold him into an NFL QB. Likelihood of that happening? Probably not so great....but hope springs eternal....till it's crushed like a bug.