Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

10 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

This will piss off some Bears fans.  He's a poor man's Caleb Williams.  Same Height 10 lbs heavier moves like him.  After the Bears ruin Williams we'll ship him over for a couple of 1's! ha ha ha...

Packers ruining Caleb Williams will be our magnup opus of the Bears QB graveyard.  He will be our back up one day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

I know next to nothing about him other than he struggled (for some reason) in TN. He's got a clean slate from me at this stage and I'm hopeful Clements and his crew can mold him into an NFL QB. Likelihood of that happening? Probably not so great....but hope springs eternal....till it's crushed like a bug.

Yep probably.  Let's just hope he's not another Deshon Kizer.  He's got to be better than that right?  right?

1 hour ago, Leader said:

See that's a great example - there's nothing here that should be blowing anyone's mind.  There are tons of strong arms in CFB each year.  The ability to stand in basically a clean pocket and throw a post route to a receiver with no one over the top isn't a measure of anything, that's the absolute floor to be a professional QB.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yep probably.  Let's just hope he's not another Deshon Kizer.  He's got to be better than that right?  right?

I think a good part of why this might go different is that IIRC Love and Willis are reportedly friends off the field, whereas the Kizer/Rodgers relationship was weird.

38 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

See that's a great example - there's nothing here that should be blowing anyone's mind.  There are tons of strong arms in CFB each year.  The ability to stand in basically a clean pocket and throw a post route to a receiver with no one over the top isn't a measure of anything, that's the absolute floor to be a professional QB.

I saw the same play and throw at a Texas HS game last fall, but those that want to see something great are going to see what they want to see. Willis is currently the second greatest QB in the world for some.  

33 minutes ago, R T said:

I saw the same play and throw at a Texas HS game last fall, but those that want to see something great are going to see what they want to see. Willis is currently the second greatest QB in the world for some.  

Don't think anyone is saying that RT be real.  He's another project QB.  Has some nice traits but has yet to put anything together.  Guys from TN were happy he's gone and ecstatic that they got a 7th.  That being said they did note he steadily improved.  But seriously he's better than Caleb Williams.  ha ha ha...

See, and this is why I didn't like it.  I think both Pratt and Clifford have brighter futures than Willis does at QB.  Packers add Clifford to the PS, and Pratt likely walks, and then in six months when you realize Willis can't play QB you're scrambling to find a vet or playing Clifford, and your development for next year is all off.  They could have kept continuity in learning for both Clifford and Pratt and not given up a 7th round pick, for the low low cost of not having to play Willis at QB, which is in fact a subsidy rather than a tax.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

See, and this is why I didn't like it.  I think both Pratt and Clifford have brighter futures than Willis does at QB.  Packers add Clifford to the PS, and Pratt likely walks, and then in six months when you realize Willis can't play QB you're scrambling to find a vet or playing Clifford, and your development for next year is all off.  They could have kept continuity in learning for both Clifford and Pratt and not given up a 7th round pick, for the low low cost of not having to play Willis at QB, which is in fact a subsidy rather than a tax.

None of the three QB's mentioned moves the needle if they have to play this year.

Willis has a strong arm and he's straight line fast.  He brings kind of an x-factor with his straight line speed.  That's something that Clifford and Pratt do not have.

He's also played in NFL games.  Yeah, he played poorly, but he's seen things that those others have not.

Guess I'm okay with gambling on his upside versus the other two.  

In the end, he's a backup QB in league where there are very few really good ones out there.  I don't love the move, I don't hate the move.  It's meh for me.

Slightly contradictory info from Gute and LaFleur. Either way it confirms what I thought, that there will be some carryover from the Titans to help Willis adapt more quickly to LaFleur's offence. That's why we traded for him, he was a good fit for what we do.

Edited by Chili

Very solid interview. Well spoken and seems self aware and focused. He respectfully shot down all the looking back and looking forward questions. Just embracing the very tall task of mastering a playbook of yet another offense with a quick turnaround. Who knows what he’s got but I believe he’s going to be all in trying to make the most of the opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Slightly contradictory info from Gute and LaFleur. Either way it confirms what I thought, that there will be some carryover from the Titans to help Willis adapt more quickly to LaFleur's offence. That's why we traded for him, he was a good fit for what we do.

Well wish Kruse would keep his mouth shut.  We don't need anyone getting poached.  Pro personnel has notably improved since Gute took over.  

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well wish Kruse would keep his mouth shut.  We don't need anyone getting poached.  Pro personnel has notably improved since Gute took over.  

I've added that tweet in error, i have corrected it now.

A few obvious physical traits, He’s shorter but more thickly built than Love. He does have 9.5 inch hands vs Love at 10.5 AR about 10.2. Not small hands by human standards but at QB you want all the paw you can get especially in cold weather.