Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

3 hours ago, Chili said:

I know some of you wanted him. I think the Chargers gave up a conditional 6th. Not sure what year though.

I think for this particular Packers team I'd prefer Heinicke to Willis.  He's got so much more game experience that I think he gives you a better chance to win some games if Love goes down for a stretch.  Heinicke is what he is though, and Willis offers some potential upside for the future.  Truth be told though we are probably dead in the water either way if Love misses a bunch of games. 

• Like 2

A similar sort of QB as Willis but Willis has 15lbs on him and is somehow a more dynamic runner. Huntley is more of a pocket passer but he doesn't have as strong an arm as Willis. Huntley is 26 years old whereas Willis is 25. If we claimed Huntley on waivers his contract this year is roughly the same as Willis is on now but we would only have one year of control then he becomes a free agent. With Willis we have two.

The only advantage Huntley has is he started alot more NFL games and was decently productive.

The Baltimore and Browns offence is completely different to ours which makes it harder to project Huntley to our team. With Willis it's much easier because there are already some tapes of him performing in an offence which is similar to ours.

I keep coming back to Christian Watson. We need a deep ball thrower to make the most of him and that's certainly what Willis is capable of. Not so sure with Huntley. The deep ball stretches the defence which opens up the run and the underneath throws which allows our offence to function. Willis is a much better fit despite his lack of NFL experience.

On a pure talent level Willis far superior. After all Willis went in the 3rd round whilst Huntley went undrafted. It's just a matter of getting more consistent and better at running the offence.

15 minutes ago, Chili said:

A similar sort of QB as Willis but Willis has 15lbs on him and is somehow a more dynamic runner. Huntley is more of a pocket passer but he doesn't have as strong an arm as Willis. Huntley is 26 years old whereas Willis is 25. If we claimed Huntley on waivers his contract this year is roughly the same as Willis is on now but we would only have one year of control then he becomes a free agent. With Willis we have two.

The only advantage Huntley has is he started alot more NFL games and was decently productive.

The Baltimore and Browns offence is completely different to ours which makes it harder to project Huntley to our team. With Willis it's much easier because there are already some tapes of him performing in an offence which is similar to ours.

I keep coming back to Christian Watson. We need a deep ball thrower to make the most of him and that's certainly what Willis is capable of. Not so sure with Huntley. The deep ball stretches the defence which opens up the run and the underneath throws which allows our offence to function. Willis is a much better fit despite his lack of NFL experience.

On a pure talent level Willis far superior. After all Willis went in the 3rd round whilst Huntley went undrafted. It's just a matter of getting more consistent and better at running the offence.

I would swap Huntly for Willis.  Huntley has NFL game experience and has played at a decent enough level to get keep the team competitive.    

GB could still keep Willis on the PS if they wanted

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I would swap Huntly for Willis.  Huntley has NFL game experience and has played at a decent enough level to get keep the team competitive.    

GB could still keep Willis on the PS if they wanted

Give up a 7th round pick then cut the guy two days later. 🤣

let-the-hate-flow-through-you.gif

So it doesn't really matter.  But I'd have taken Ridder for free over Willis.  Hundley for whatever or Heinecke for a conditional 6'th over Willis and our 7'th.

But...it's been a long time (never) since I've been paid by GB for my armchair evaluations.  But I will throw this one out there in the "Are You Smarter Than Gute" ether. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

Give up a 7th round pick then cut the guy two days later. 🤣

let-the-hate-flow-through-you.gif

an upgrade is an upgrade.  if the cost is a 7th to make that happen, that is a cheap cost.

as I noted, you could still move Willis to the PS for the time being

Just now, squire12 said:

an upgrade is an upgrade.  if the cost is a 7th to make that happen, that is a cheap cost.

as I noted, you could still move Willis to the PS for the time being

no, he still has to pass through waivers first before we can put him on the PS.

Gute gave up a 7th because he believed he would not be able to get him on waivers. Even if he went unclaimed we would still have to convince Willis to sign for us over other interested teams?

Since it's only been a couple of days there's still a good chance he's probably going to get claimed. He won't be landing on our PS.

Personally it's not much of an upgrade.

42 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So it doesn't really matter.  But I'd have taken Ridder for free over Willis.  Hundley for whatever or Heinecke for a conditional 6'th over Willis and our 7'th.

But...it's been a long time (never) since I've been paid by GB for my armchair evaluations.  But I will throw this one out there in the "Are You Smarter Than Gute" ether. 

Riddler reminds me of the Hundley we used to have. Easy pass for me. Not an NFL quarterback. 

Any of us claiming to be smarter than Gute after the roster he's assembled are seriously delusional. 

36 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Riddler reminds me of the Hundley we used to have. Easy pass for me. Not an NFL quarterback. 

Any of us claiming to be smarter than Gute after the roster he's assembled are seriously delusional. 

Well, he was an nfl quarterback who beat us last year.  He started for quite a few games.  I'm not sure that isn't in that same kind of developmental phase that Willis is in right now.  Only Ridder got to play already.  Wait.  Willis did too.  Who won games again?

And I'll remind you again, that this is a chat board that has a thread entitled, Are You Smarter Than Gute.  It is okay to have opinions.

37 minutes ago, Chili said:

If those are the options, I'm good.  But maybe there should be a "Don't Really Care about a backup QB" option.  We are pretty doomed either way.

But if not?  Yah, I'll be anti-Willis for the sheer fact that there were similar QB's dealt or released after we traded for him that also would have worked.  But to be clear, I'm not anti him as a player.  I do feel like there is upside there somewhere.  Moreso than Pratt or Clifford.

• Like 2

I would say I am on the fence but leaning pro-Willis.  I think the only available option I would rather have is Tyler Huntley.  I think Huntley is established as a good back-up QB at this point.  If he has to play, he can, and he won't be the reason you lose, but he won't be the reason you win either.  Willis offers enough upside that we may be able to flip him if he progresses.  He is also different enough from Love that if Love were to go down in a game, it throws off the other team's plan.  He is going to run, a lot, and hopefully he can pop one over the top to a TE when defenses start to cheat up on the run.

I will say that I was very interested when they brought in Vince Young to back up Rodgers because he was so different.  That experiment didn't work out.  Chances are Willis doesn't either.  But let's at least see what he has.  I am more excited about Malik Willis than I am Sean Clifford or Michael Pratt.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chili said:

Assume you took me comparing him to Justin Fields as a negative? If Willis was going to be our starter, absolutely a negative. Justin Fields could come in relief and wins a few games with the right roster. 

I'm on the fence because I don't know enough about the kid. It certainly doesn't move the needle much as far as a move goes.