2024 Eagles regular season

18 hours ago, eagles91 said:

My goodness... Can we give it a few more weeks guys to see how Jalen looks while operating a big boy offense? 🤣

The guy turns the ball over too much. Otherwise, he's actually pretty good. If you want a Mahomes or Allen... I don't know what to tell you (they also turn the ball over a decent amount, by the way).

No.  And as others have pointed out, Hurts doesn't have the talent level to make up for those kind of mistakes like Mahomes or Allen.  The Eagles have gone like 12-13 games in a row losing the turnover battle.  THAT can't happen.  

23 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

No.  And as others have pointed out, Hurts doesn't have the talent level to make up for those kind of mistakes like Mahomes or Allen.  The Eagles have gone like 12-13 games in a row losing the turnover battle.  THAT can't happen.  

No what? You can't give it a few more weeks? He's not pretty good?

The team is 2-1 right now while losing the turnover battle. One dropped pass from 3-0. Hurts has a turnover problem, I agree, but he has made plays that have made up for it. QB play is multi-faceted, you can't just complain about turnovers and completely ignore that he is also a top 10 QB in QBR and EPA so far.

The defense is also a factor in the turnover equation, which you quietly ignore. The Eagles defense hasn't been very effective at taking the ball away for the same stretch you're referencing. They were bottom 5 in takeaways/game in '23 and are currently tied for 25th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eagles91 said:

The team is 2-1 right now while losing the turnover battle. One dropped pass from 3-0. Hurts has a turnover problem, I agree, but he has made plays that have made up for it. QB play is multi-faceted, you can't just complain about turnovers and completely ignore that he is also a top 10 QB in QBR and EPA so far.

The defense is also a factor in the turnover equation, which you quietly ignore. The Eagles defense hasn't been very effective at taking the ball away for the same stretch you're referencing. They were bottom 5 in takeaways/game in '23 and are currently tied for 25th.

Jalen hurts has turned the ball over 26 times in the last like 21 games

this has nothing to do with the defense

hes 26 years old so hopefully he can grow but make no mistake. He’s hurting us right now. 

32 minutes ago, Last Stand said:

Jalen hurts has turned the ball over 26 times in the last like 21 games

this has nothing to do with the defense

hes 26 years old so hopefully he can grow but make no mistake. He’s hurting us right now. 

The post you quoted literally agrees that Hurts has turned the ball over too much. My point was that Hurts turnovers and turnover differential are different, because turnover differential was being cited. Moreover, Mahomes and Allen, the other players people want to compare him too, also turn the ball over quite a bit. Especially Josh Allen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eagles91 said:

The post you quoted literally agrees that Hurts has turned the ball over too much. My point was that Hurts turnovers and turnover differential are different, because turnover differential was being cited. Moreover, Mahomes and Allen, the other players people want to compare him too, also turn the ball over quite a bit. Especially Josh Allen.

Jalen doesn’t have Josh Allen’s passing talent so his turnovers hurt more

josh Allen is a routine 30+ TD guy and can throw the ball everywhere

thats like saying Lebron James and Kobe Bryant missed shots so why are we complaining about Trae young missing shots

not all players are equal. What Josh Allen brings to the table far outweighs what Jalen brings to the table. He’s even a better runner. 

If Jalen isn’t going to bring their passing talent or greatness. Then he at least can protect the ball better than them. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Last Stand said:

Jalen doesn’t have Josh Allen’s passing talent so his turnovers hurt more

josh Allen is a routine 30+ TD guy and can throw the ball everywhere

thats like saying Lebron James and Kobe Bryant missed shots so why are we complaining about Trae young missing shots

not all players are equal. What Josh Allen brings to the table far outweighs what Jalen brings to the table. He’s even a better runner. 

If Jalen isn’t going to bring their passing talent or greatness. Then he at least can protect the ball better than them. 

I guess I'm failing to see what people are arguing about then. I don't think anyone disagrees that Jalen needs to protect the ball more.

Yes, not all players are equal. I was also making the point that, on the spectrum of QB play, Jalen is obviously below Allen or Mahomes, but he is not outside of the top ten, and he is definitely not at the bottom.

I think he is getting too much hate. At least acknowledge that when he is not making the mistakes he is actually playing quite well.

11 minutes ago, eagles91 said:

I guess I'm failing to see what people are arguing about then. I don't think anyone disagrees that Jalen needs to protect the ball more.

Yes, not all players are equal. I was also making the point that, on the spectrum of QB play, Jalen is obviously below Allen or Mahomes, but he is not outside of the top ten, and he is definitely not at the bottom.

I think he is getting too much hate. At least acknowledge that when he is not making the mistakes he is actually playing quite well.

I acknowledge that all the time

To win consistently you have to have an advantage. Jalen hurts right now isn’t an advantage as a runner or thrower and to top it off he consistently turns the ball over.

hes a plus leader, but if there’s anything he can do to make the eagles significantly better. Its not to start throwing 4TDs a game (that’s unlikely) or break the game open with his running (he’s not explosive like Lamar)

it’s to protect the football

the eagles have guys most teams don’t. Saquon, AJ, devonta, goedert, top 5 OL. If Jalen protects the football the eagles are probably walking to 35 points most weeks. 

if Jalen can protect the football better than other guys then he’s a plus for this roster. He doesn’t need to be a hero.

1 hour ago, Last Stand said:

I acknowledge that all the time

To win consistently you have to have an advantage. Jalen hurts right now isn’t an advantage as a runner or thrower and to top it off he consistently turns the ball over.

hes a plus leader, but if there’s anything he can do to make the eagles significantly better. Its not to start throwing 4TDs a game (that’s unlikely) or break the game open with his running (he’s not explosive like Lamar)

it’s to protect the football

the eagles have guys most teams don’t. Saquon, AJ, devonta, goedert, top 5 OL. If Jalen protects the football the eagles are probably walking to 35 points most weeks. 

if Jalen can protect the football better than other guys then he’s a plus for this roster. He doesn’t need to be a hero.

This just doesn't square for me. How can you say you acknowledge that Hurts is often a positive player but then basically describe his upside as being a game manager? How is his running not a plus?

Edited by eagles91
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, eagles91 said:

Hey man, we're 10-1...just be happy.

21 hours ago, eagles91 said:

This just doesn't square for me. How can you say you acknowledge that Hurts is often a positive player but then basically describe his upside as being a game manager? How is his running not a plus?

Imagine if we were talking about dak the same people defending hurts would be ripping dak for the same issues

and dak gives you 30-35 TDs 

there are different levels and nuance to everything

dak is often a positive player, I still don’t trust him to win when it matters

hurts is often a positive player, I still don’t trust him to protect the football

• Like 1

Jalen Hurts is a good player that is capable of doing great things. He's also capable of doing terrible things. What he hasn't shown in my opinion (As probably one of the biggest defenders of hurts since he took over), is the ability to to be so consistently exceptional that his mistakes don't matter.

As of the last season and 3 weeks into this one, he has not just turned the ball over, he has turned the ball over at absolutely back breaking moments. I'll give him that he does often make up for a turnover by having a clean sustained drive the next possession, but it's happened enough at this point for me to feel anxious whenever he's throwing the ball and that's simply not ideal no matter what other positives he brings to the table.

All that said, I still believe in the guy. He's shown he can protect the football and be dynamic in 2022, and whether it was an aberration or not, I'm willing to find out if he can improve further. But as of right now, no matter how positive you are, I don't see how you can be confident in current Jalen Hurts play with how he's been turning the ball over for over a year.

Edit: Still better than dak tho

Edited by Daimonas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daimonas said:

Jalen Hurts is a good player that is capable of doing great things. He's also capable of doing terrible things. What he hasn't shown in my opinion (As probably one of the biggest defenders of hurts since he took over), is the ability to to be so consistently exceptional that his mistakes don't matter.

As of the last season and 3 weeks into this one, he has not just turned the ball over, he has turned the ball over at absolutely back breaking moments. I'll give him that he does often make up for a turnover by having a clean sustained drive the next possession, but it's happened enough at this point for me to feel anxious whenever he's throwing the ball and that's simply not ideal no matter what other positives he brings to the table.

All that said, I still believe in the guy. He's shown he can protect the football and be dynamic in 2022, and whether it was an aberration or not, I'm willing to find out if he can improve further. But as of right now, no matter how positive you are, I don't see how you can be confident in current Jalen Hurts play with how he's been turning the ball over for over a year.

Edit: Still better than dak tho

Until he proves otherwise, 2022 is the exception and not the rule.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 11:01 AM, eagles91 said:

Hurts leads the league in turnovers and turnover worthy plays.  This is deflection at it's finest.  I don't know what more people need to see from Hurts.