James Harrison Released

Chieferific

20 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Don't be paranoid. This stuff is so overblown by us fans. They know everything about other teams anyway. It's on 350 different cameras and microphones every week.

Only 325 of the cameras and microphones are legal ;)

17 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

When Harrison joined the Bengals, I just laughed.

He's now dead to me.

Yes, how dare he sign with a team Pittsburgh fans hate. Man I bet he’ll have a tough time sleeping tonight.

Good for him, I’m glad he’s able to find a team to play for at this stage in his career. 

52 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

I'm at a loss for words.  If he helps beat us in the AFCCG I hope Tomlin and Colbert catch apocalyptic amounts of hell.  

could  reignite the fire tomlin/colbert crowd, but this has to happen first. If we do meet and we do win, then  move on.  I expect BB to let Harrison play 50% of the snaps with most in the second half. He will be worn out by the end of the game, not the same as life on the sidelines. I expect the oxygen mask to be keeping him able to play.  Not sure how his cardio is but we will find out.

59 minutes ago, Neumatic said:

Yes, how dare he sign with a team Pittsburgh fans hate. Man I bet he’ll have a tough time sleeping tonight.

Good for him, I’m glad he’s able to find a team to play for at this stage in his career. 

This has all played out before. Harrison feels slighted. Harrison signs with some team to stick it to the Steelers. Harrison does nothing to hurt the Steelers, but only hurts himself.

Good for him. He may stick to the Pats roster for a few weeks. He'll do nothing. I'd be surprised if he could learn their defense to the level required to be anything more than a guy who plays a handful of snaps a game. And just like in Cinci, he'll never sniff Roethlisberger in a rematch.

10 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

This has all played out before. Harrison feels slighted. Harrison signs with some team to stick it to the Steelers. Harrison does nothing to hurt the Steelers, but only hurts himself.

Good for him. He may stick to the Pats roster for a few weeks. He'll do nothing. I'd be surprised if he could learn their defense to the level required to be anything more than a guy who plays a handful of snaps a game. And just like in Cinci, he'll never sniff Roethlisberger in a rematch.

Cinci - bungles and underachieve

pats - BB and champions many times - know how to get the most out of players

We know what tomlin and his staff got out of Harrison, now lets see if his new team does anything different that yields better results on the field.  I know it's comparing doing nothing on the sidelines to possibly playing, but wait and see.

I thought a signing would take a few days, but they signed him asap it seems

I hope you're right that he won't get near Ben, and lets hope so. Harrison does well vs tall LT's such as AV, and of course, it could turn into another example of stubborn coaching kinda like the vikings game in london a few years ago. 

It's not about his play on the field, it's about the knowledge of our defensive play calls.  Can we change them?  Sure, but Harrison still knows what looks mean what packages/coverages are likely to evolve from them.

For the next three weeks, he'll be intimately close to Brady, going through film, while Harrison explains to Tom exactly what is expected, and what everone's role is from each look we present on the field.  You don't think that will be helpful to Tom? You don;t think that will aid him in picking us apart the next time we see him?

We can change what they are called, etc., but we aren't going to change responsibilities, or 'looks' this late in the year; we are not likely to deviate from what we've done all year. Harrison will also be able to provide all the little weaknesses each player has..."X player has difficulty with covering X routes" or "X player has had a nagging left toe/ankle/knee injury all year, and can't plant off his left foot too well."  It's those little idiosyncrasies that can make all the difference if Brady is given prior knowledge, because then he can find ways to exploit them. 

I could give a rats a$$ about what Harrison does on the field; it's what and how he helps the Pats prepare for us in the AFCCG that really pi$$es me off about Tomlin/Colbert letting a seasoned defensive veteran go just weeks before we meet them in 4 weeks, which IMO, would take something spectacular at this point for it not to happen. I almost (of course I don't, but just for emphasis sake) hope we lose in the divisional round, and which ever team beats us, beats the Patriots due to the having to release Trevor Reilly, and since Harrison can't play STs, the other team beats the Pats on a PR and KR for TDs.  THAT would be justice....

Of course, it would be even MORE justice if WE were the team to beat them on a KR for a TD!!

16 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Don't be paranoid. This stuff is so overblown by us fans. They know everything about other teams anyway. It's on 350 different cameras and microphones every week.

I agree to an extent. I think there could be some advantages. The biggest of which would simply be a boost to their anemic Pass Rush moreso than any insider info. Were there similar rumblings in the Pats forum over the Ridley signing? 

5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I agree to an extent. I think there could be some advantages. The biggest of which would simply be a boost to their anemic Pass Rush moreso than any insider info. Were there similar rumblings in the Pats forum over the Ridley signing? 

I don't agree at all. If it didn't provide a distinct advantage, teams wouldn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars; in this case, like $1M, immediately after being let go by a rival team. It happens WAY too often to be a coincidence.

Let me ask you this; what was the first thing to come across your mind when it was annouonced that Harrison was released.  Was it how much we were going to miss his impact on the field?  Or was it "Crap, I bet the Patriots make a run at signing him...ASAP??"  You don't even have to answer the question, because I already know, because it was the VERY FIRST THING that crossed my mind. 

Would you like to guess the chances/percentage of the chances that Harrison is cut before the Pats'/Steelers' Championship game, were it to happen??  I'll tell you...it's about as close to 0%, as it is that Harrison will still be on the Pats by Game 1 of the regular season next year.

It's not paranoia, it's friggin' reality.  Just because teams have video of every other team...from every angle, again, doesn't mean they know that, say (for example...there is no truth to this what so ever) Hilton has difficulty covering anybody from the left side of the field, or that Burns is nursing toe injury on is left foot, so it really hurts for him to plant properly from his left foot.  Any kind of intel like that does not show up on tape.

So again, this type of signing, on the last week of the season, doesn't happen for any other reason than to get intel.  The Bears weren't going to sign him.  For what??  Next year?  A 40YO OLB?  C'mon, this isn't paranoia, it's so obvious It's not even funny.  You don't sign players the final week of the season to fill holes on your roster, otherwise Tampa, Indy, Giants, Buffalo, Miami, SF, Oakland, or the Jets would've have tried to get a visit with him.

Again, this happens all the time in the NFL. A team releases a player, and the team that is about to play them signs the player.  So for Belichick to answer the below the way he did, ...is such BS, it isn't even funny....

Belichick was also asked about the prospect of Harrison providing intel about the Steelers, but said “I don’t really know what that has to do with it”

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

I don't agree at all. If it didn't provide a distinct advantage, teams wouldn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars; in this case, like $1M, immediately after being let go by a rival team. It happens WAY too often to be a coincidence.

Let me ask you this; what was the first thing to come across your mind when it was annouonced that Harrison was released.  Was it how much we were going to miss his impact on the field?  Or was it "Crap, I bet the Patriots make a run at signing him...ASAP??"  You don't even have to answer the question, because I already know, because it was the VERY FIRST THING that crossed my mind. 

Would you like to guess the chances/percentage of the chances that Harrison is cut before the Pats'/Steelers' Championship game, were it to happen??  I'll tell you...it's about as close to 0%, as it is that Harrison will still be on the Pats by Game 1 of the regular season next year.

It's not paranoia, it's friggin' reality.  Just because teams have video of every other team...from every angle, again, doesn't mean they know that, say (for example...there is no truth to this what so ever) Hilton has difficulty covering anybody from the left side of the field, or that Burns is nursing toe injury on is left foot, so it really hurts for him to plant properly from his left foot.  Any kind of intel like that does not show up on tape.

So again, this type of signing, on the last week of the season, doesn't happen for any other reason than to get intel.  The Bears weren't going to sign him.  For what??  Next year?  A 40YO OLB?  C'mon, this isn't paranoia, it's so obvious It's not even funny.  You don't sign players the final week of the season to fill holes on your roster, otherwise Tampa, Indy, Giants, Buffalo, Miami, SF, Oakland, or the Jets would've have tried to get a visit with him.

Again, this happens all the time in the NFL. A team releases a player, and the team that is about to play them signs the player.  So for Belichick to answer the below the way he did, ...is such BS, it isn't even funny....

No, I get it. I just wonder if it's as big of an advantage as us fans make it out to be (as the OP suggested). Also, as 43 pointed out, how much help do they need? I have no doubt JH could come in during the AFCG and wreak havoc on AV as he lays it all out of the field to get back to one more SB all the while slapping the B&G across the face for devaluing him. 

Archived