Steelers cut James Harrison

RedRider

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

A single play shouldn't get you into the HOF. :)

I don't think Marshawn Lynch will make it for instance, even though his run against the Saints was one of the most impressive runs in NFL history. 

Yeah but that run wasn't a game changing play in the SB. It's different. Plus he was DPOY.

14 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Yeah but that run wasn't a game changing play in the SB. It's different. Plus he was DPOY.

Yeah that's a nice feather in the cap for Harrison. But that's just one game. Or one season even. Unfortunately Harrion's 5 elite seasons are in stark contrast to his other 10 seasons where he's basically been a JAG. The longer he stays around the worse it will be for him. He hasn't been a top notch player in like 6 years, and basically a backup player for the last 4 or 5. 

11 hours ago, OleXmad said:

He was an aging player who clearly lost a step in the coaches eye since he was cut and received zero playing time. It's a business decision and since he's just a taking up a roster spot along with he doesn't play on special teams or defense and they needed a roster spot he had to go.

I'm kind of surprised the steelers didn't cut him earlier in the season considering he was rotting on the bench for most of the year.

That's why it seemed odd to me, just weird timing. I don't catch a lot of Steelers games so I wasn't sure what his rep count was like.

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Yeah that's a nice feather in the cap for Harrison. But that's just one game. Or one season even. Unfortunately Harrion's 5 elite seasons are in stark contrast to his other 10 seasons where he's basically been a JAG. The longer he stays around the worse it will be for him. He hasn't been a top notch player in like 6 years, and basically a backup player for the last 4 or 5. 

James Harrison was a UDFA who couldn't learn the defense for his first few years, and then ended up stuck behind two veteran players. He probably could have continued to play at a high level for another year or two in Pittsburgh. He also entered the league at a late age. He didn't have 10 other mediocre seasons.

At his peak, James Harrison was one of the best defensive players I've ever seen. He was dominant and a complete player.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

James Harrison was a UDFA who couldn't learn the defense for his first few years, and then ended up stuck behind two veteran players. He probably could have continued to play at a high level for another year or two in Pittsburgh. He also entered the league at a late age. He didn't have 10 other mediocre seasons.

At his peak, James Harrison was one of the best defensive players I've ever seen. He was dominant and a complete player.

Not saying he wasn't. I'm saying the last 6 years or so he's been average to irrelevant. That doesn't bode well for his HOF chances. He had a late coming out party to his career. Ok? So did Greg Lloyd. Being a victim of circumstance is irrelevant. Results are all that matters for the HOF, not what if scenarios. :)

Harrison has the results for about a five to six year stretch. Had he retired when he became a Bengal I'd like his chances of getting in compared to now.

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Not saying he wasn't. I'm saying the last 6 years or so he's been average to irrelevant. That doesn't bode well for his HOF chances. He had a late coming out party to his career. Ok? So did Greg Lloyd. Being a victim of circumstance is irrelevant. Results are all that matters for the HOF, not what if scenarios. :)

Harrison has the results for about a five to six year stretch. Had he retired when he became a Bengal I'd like his chances of getting in compared to now.

I don't know what the HOF criteria are. I do know Terrell Davis got in. I didn't argue Harrison should be in the HOF, anyway. I simply stated my opinion of him as a player in his prime. He was the rare defensive player who could and did often take over games. Teams schemed around him just about as much as any front 7 player I've ever seen. I'd put defensive guys like him in over quite a few of the skill position guys people go to the mat for, but the longevity question is obviously a big issue. And Harrison, in my view, screwed himself there when he left town over a petty contract dispute. He had plenty left in the tank when he did it, but no one else was going to pay him what he wanted coming off those injuries.

Lloyd was a great player who still wasn't as good as Harrison. Harrison was just about unblockable. And the Steelers asked him to go against OT's far more than Lloyd. Frankly, I still think he can play. Harrison was, at his best, unquestionably a HOF talent. I don't know that I value Art Monk or Curtis Martin/Jerome Bettis type production over that. And the voters don't have clear criteria there, either.

Harrison at his best was right there with the second tier of greatest of all time defenders for me. The only guys I saw who were better were pass rushers like TJ Watt and Reggie White.

23 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't know what the HOF criteria are. I do know Terrell Davis got in. I didn't argue Harrison should be in the HOF, anyway. I simply stated my opinion of him as a player in his prime. He was the rare defensive player who could and did often take over games. Teams schemed around him just about as much as any front 7 player I've ever seen. I'd put defensive guys like him in over quite a few of the skill position guys people go to the mat for, but the longevity question is obviously a big issue. And Harrison, in my view, screwed himself there when he left town over a petty contract dispute. He had plenty left in the tank when he did it, but no one else was going to pay him what he wanted coming off those injuries.

Lloyd was a great player who still wasn't as good as Harrison. Harrison was just about unblockable. And the Steelers asked him to go against OT's far more than Lloyd. Frankly, I still think he can play. Harrison was, at his best, unquestionably a HOF talent. I don't know that I value Art Monk or Curtis Martin/Jerome Bettis type production over that. And the voters don't have clear criteria there, either.

Harrison at his best was right there with the second tier of greatest of all time defenders for me. The only guys I saw who were better were pass rushers like TJ Watt and Reggie White.

Agreed. He was a HOF talent for a while. Not arguing that.

As for Terrell Davis, he didn't stick around and put up lackluster production for like six years after his four years of HOF production. Just saying. 

11 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

agree with most of this but not sure of the bold, perhaps a typo and should be JJ watt. There were better pass rushers in the league but overall and game changing plays, Harrison was quite a force for a while. He had the total game, not just a passrusher . I don't like how the FO handled this at all. 

Archived