How will the OL shake out?

pwny

A lot of moving pieces here, where the only real constant appears to be that Linder will play somewhere. Everything else seems in flux.

LT - Branden Albert, Cam Robinson

LG - Cam Robinson, Branden Albert, AJ Cann, Patrick Omameh

C - Brandon Linder, Tyler Shatley

RG - Brandon Linder, Cam Robinson, AJ Cann

RT - Jermey Parnell, Branden Albert, Cam Robinson

Those are the names I've seen attached to various spots.

If Albert doesn't beat out Robinson, does he refuse to play another position? If Robinson doesn't beat out Albert, do they truly stick with the "LT only" designation? Are we choosing between Shatley at C and Cann at G? Do one of the moving LTs supplant Parnell?

Hope it goes:

LT- Albert/Cam

LG- Cann/Omameh

C- Linder/Shatley

RG- Cam/Cann/Linder

RT- Parnell/Albert/Cam

Move Cann to his natural position. Stick Cam in the starting lineup as Albert is likely the best LT on the roster while healthy until Cam gets accustomed to the jump. Linder had a nice first year at center. Parnell is best option at RT unless we go with Cam out there. If we get the Parnell of the final 8 or so games last year this year than our RT situation should be solid.

5 hours ago, iPwn said:

Guess we can pencil Cam in at LT now, and effectively lock Parnell in at RT too.

LT - Cam

LG - Cann/Omameh/Watford

C - Linder/Shatley

RG - Linder/Cann

RT - Parnell

idk if it means much at this point (probably not), but it sounds like Cann has been the first team RG with Shatley at LG.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Don’t forget, maybe some random player at LG too.

Last 6 or so games the OL played pretty well if you guys remember as far as run blocking. Didnt think pass blocking was much of an issue all year really either. Blake was just bad.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Last 6 or so games the OL played pretty well if you guys remember as far as run blocking. Didnt think pass blocking was much of an issue all year really either. Blake was just bad.

Short term positives are a good thing to look at, but they so often fail to be replicated over future seasons that I hate the idea of banking on them.

We’ve just been burned so much with “the defense was top 5 if you remove the first 4 games of the year” and “Derek Cox measured as a top 7 CB his last 9 games” and “Parnell has an elite partial season with the Cowboys” and etc. And now we’re banking on a lot of those for this season. The OL played well down the stretch, the run game came alive towards the end of the year, Blake had two good games under Marrone. The team didn’t buy into the RBs being good, nor Prince being an answer, despite their small sample of high output but they probably should have done more, especially given the OL’s importance in making the whole team run properly.

I’m just not confident that a team that’s been bad for a decade will finally get luck in sustaining short term success over a long period. I think they needed to do more than just bring in two players to play LT and cast offs to compete at LG. Particularly if someone goes down, we’re in big trouble on that front.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Short term positives are a good thing to look at, but they so often fail to be replicated over future seasons that I hate the idea of banking on them.

We’ve just been burned so much with “the defense was top 5 if you remove the first 4 games of the year” and “Derek Cox measured as a top 7 CB his last 9 games” and “Parnell has an elite partial season with the Cowboys” and etc. And now we’re banking on a lot of those for this season. The OL played well down the stretch, the run game came alive towards the end of the year, Blake had two good games under Marrone. The team didn’t buy into the RBs being good, nor Prince being an answer, despite their small sample of high output but they probably should have done more, especially given the OL’s importance in making the whole team run properly.

I’m just not confident that a team that’s been bad for a decade will finally get luck in sustaining short term success over a long period. I think they needed to do more than just bring in two players to play LT and cast offs to compete at LG. Particularly if someone goes down, we’re in big trouble on that front.

No I agree, just saying that it isnt like our run blocking and pass blocking was a problem all year and all we did was add Cam.

Id say over the course of the season our pass blocking was right around average. Run blocking was pathetic til Hackett took over, so hopefully its a sign of things to come (not banking on that obv) for the run game this year.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Run blocking was pathetic til Hackett took over, so hopefully its a sign of things to come (not banking on that obv) for the run game this year.

I hope it is a sign of things to come. I just don’t think it’s probable. And I legitimately don’t know how this OL could cope if one of the starters went down for any length of time. 

14 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I hope it is a sign of things to come. I just don’t think it’s probable. And I legitimately don’t know how this OL could cope if one of the starters went down for any length of time. 

LG is only spot i think we'd be fine with. Omameh and Shatley are kind of in same territory for me. Both had ok stretches/inconsistent last year and both battling at LG. Speaking of, idk why Cann isnt at LG instead. Natural LG.

Archived