Rapoport: Ted Phillips Compiling List of Head Coaches

G08

Ultimately, something has to be done about the pro personnel side. That’s not necessarily firing somebody. It could be as simple as changing direction or processes. Contracts that were given to guys like Glennon, Wheaton, and Sims won’t cause a lot of harm in the short-term, but it’s a waste of time and resources nonetheless.

The only thing about the Glennon deal I like it that I feel Pace was playing high stakes poker.

Garrett was going to CLE, it was barely even a debate

SF needed a QB but there was a few other high profile players like Thomas.

Pace wanted Trubisky, and believed he could switch SF for pennies (compared to most trade ups for QBs), allowing them to get the top QB in the draft.

- Due to having just signed Glennon to a starter's deal, everyone thought we were going all in on Thomas or Lattimore.

The Wheaton and Sims contracts suck, but they were signed to be one year starters to allow us to draft replacements in the 2017 or 2018 offseason. We got Shaheen in the draft, so Sims is beyond gone, and we found Inman and Wright can be depth players for us. Now we have another offseason to draft and sign a FA WR. They were costly short term expendatures, no argument there, but I think with Glennon he hid his intentions perfectly and the rest he was just taking a few swings to see if he could get a Hicks or buy more time on the positions. I can live with that.

3 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Okay, can we put the Phillips thing to bed now?

This is what I keep telling myself (about the gig being desirable) but I don't know if I'm being realistic or a freaking fan boy.

Young, ascending QB, young, ascending defense, Pro Bowl RB, electric scat back behind him, and a WR corps that's about to be overhauled with whatever the new coach wants.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

This is what I keep telling myself (about the gig being desirable) but I don't know if I'm being realistic or a freaking fan boy.

Young, ascending QB, young, ascending defense, Pro Bowl RB, electric scat back behind him, and a WR corps that's about to be overhauled with whatever the new coach wants.

Pace didn't put us in a position to win this year, he was still acquiring talent and made some aggressive moves to see if he could get another Hicks. But he has put together a lot of young talent and they aren't pigeon-holed into needing a specific system to produce. 

Our go young talent on offense can become a spread attack style, it can become a ground and pound,  it can be adapted in one off-season to fit the coaches desires. Same can be said for the defense, it can be a 43 (one gap or two tanks at DT) or 34, and you have several talented pieces for the nickel, which might be the most umportant set. 

It is desirable, especially since Pace has shown a penchant for getting talent through most of hos drafts, not just his firsts like some GMs. 

4 hours ago, G08 said:

It's all relative. It's desirable to candidates who want to work with Trubisky, just like Indi will be desirable to candidates who want to work with Luck, and Tampa will be desirable to candidates who want to work with Winston. The incumbent QBs will be deal-breakers for some coaching candidates, and there's just no way around that. 

On the other side, gigs like the Jets, Giants, Denver, and even Cleveland have appeal to candidates who want to mold a rookie QB.

Maybe Josh McDaniels really likes Trubisky and wants to work with him. Or maybe John DeFilippo doesn't like Trubisky, and he won't consider the gig. We just don't know, but it's a major variable nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Kaplan followed up by saying that Dan Quinn was Paces 1st choice over Fox.

I'm not sure what to believe there, because I've heard the same thing said about Todd Bowles and Doug Marrone. It's water under the bridge at this point.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think one of the major selling points to an offensive coach is that the Bears have a young, top 10 defense.

The defense won’t require their attention.

The defense situation honestly will look better than it really is, and I'm actually expecting a rather steep drop off next season...

Figure:

1. New coach

2. Fuller and Prince both playing well above expectations.... Almost assured that one won't be back. So corner could be massively worse via a replacement player and a player who will probably "regress" just by not matching their statistical outlier of a great season.

3. Amos also playing way better than expected... Again betting on him exceeding, or even matching what has been his best season by far is a stretch....

4. Almost assuredly losing Freeman at MLB (he's far and away our best MLB right now)

5. We have like nobody at OLB anymore.... I don't trust Floyd to stay healthy at this point, McPhee can barely see the field, and no one else is more than a space filler.

6. Barring OLB we've actually been rather uncharacteristically healthy this year defensively... Goldman and Hicks where both healthy, Jackson had a full Season, Amos played better than Demps once he came in and has been healthy, etc....

29 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The defense situation honestly will look better than it really is, and I'm actually expecting a rather steep drop off next season...

Figure:

1. New coach

2. Fuller and Prince both playing well above expectations.... Almost assured that one won't be back. So corner could be massively worse via a replacement player and a player who will probably "regress" just by not matching their statistical outlier of a great season.

3. Amos also playing way better than expected... Again betting on him exceeding, or even matching what has been his best season by far is a stretch....

4. Almost assuredly losing Freeman at MLB (he's far and away our best MLB right now)

5. We have like nobody at OLB anymore.... I don't trust Floyd to stay healthy at this point, McPhee can barely see the field, and no one else is more than a space filler.

6. Barring OLB we've actually been rather uncharacteristically healthy this year defensively... Goldman and Hicks where both healthy, Jackson had a full Season, Amos played better than Demps once he came in and has been healthy, etc....

If you assume everyone regresses then of course they won’t be as good.

Trevathan is their best ILB

They will probably draft an OLB early who will be better than the corpse of McPhee.

Amos is playing the same game he always has, just with some turnovers.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If you assume everyone regresses then of course they won’t be as good.

It's not assuming a regression as much as recognizing this season was a crazy outlier for all of those players..... Deshaun Watson was on Pace to be the best QB of all time before being hurt this year, that doesn't mean I expect him to continue playing at a 1st ballot HoFer level next year (considering I had him as the #3 QB of his class).... I'm not yet sold Fuller, Prince, or Amos are anywhere near as talented as they played this year... particularly in the cases of Amos and Fuller.

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

It's not assuming a regression as much as recognizing this season was a crazy outlier for all of those players..... Deshaun Watson was on Pace to be the best QB of all time before being hurt this year, that doesn't mean I expect him to continue playing at a 1st ballot HoFer level next year (considering I had him as the #3 QB of his class).... I'm not yet sold Fuller, Prince, or Amos are anywhere near as talented as they played this year... particularly in the cases of Amos and Fuller.

Fuller and Prince were both 1st round picks.

Talent does not seem to be the issue with them.

Those 3 players are also why I would give serious consideration to making donatell the DC. By far our most impressive coach.

I think it’s a leap to say that Fangio wouldn’t want to be here next year especially if Fox isn’t here. His presence should not be mandated upon any coach but he may not be anxious to leave either. What we have here already is HIS defense. Nobody else can offer him for 2018, and if the new coach comes in and says he can have autonomy with a group he’s already built to his specs for the last 3 seasons then that’s a pretty good situation for him too, especially if he’s given any assurance of adding another pass rusher at or near the top of the draft, if there is clarity on the impending FA, etc.

One would think if one of our candidates wanted Fangio they’d put a call in to him right away once they get their interview set up too selling him on staying with them. Hopefully some of those conversations are already taking place. The guys who are gonna be the top candidates should already have a pretty good idea where they may end up or at least want to end up. If you’re Flip or Nagy and you think you may end up in Chicago you’d be crazy to not at least have a convo with Fangio right now, directly or indirectly. 

Archived