Jay Gruden top target for Bengals coaching job?

turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

If the Redskins beat the Giants they will be 25-23-1 (including the playoff loss to Green Bay in 2015-16) in the last 3 years. I was wrong before because that record is better than mediocre.

i think it proves we are on the cusp considering we have had a poor defense and running game during most of that time. 

1 hour ago, mar29020 said:

why are some skins fans obsessed with changing things?? must be dan snyder syndrome

Mar @mar29020  excellent question. It may hard to piece it all together from various posts to different topics. I can only speak for me, but what I see is a team and a fanbase that is satisfied with "just not sucking". We have been one of the worst professional sports franchises since the Lil Danny AKA Mr. Potter (see Its a Wonderful Life) got control of the team. But thats a story for another time and post. I remember when our team was much different. Where the measuring stick wasn't  that we don't suck, but that we have legitimate expectations to win Super Bowls. 

The way I see it the current Redskins are built to max out like the pre John Wall Wizards- middle of the road at best, might be able to crawl into the playoffs every few years, but have no realistic chance once there. That's become to many fans our Gold, but in reality its Pyrite. (Thats "Fools Gold" for those who missed vocabulary or their Geology classes) :)

Lets start with the team coaching on the field:

-We hired Gruden and the joke was that Lil Danny thought he was hiring Jon not his younger brother Jay. Jay had 3 years experience as a coordinator at the NFL(never winning a playoff game) level- thats it.. Oh but he shared a famous last name like someone else who brought him in to run the team. He was completely unprepared for being a successful head coach. And he made many mistakes in hiring his staff, in understanding he was in charge not only of the offense, but the special teams and defense etc, etc, etc.

Jay has improved with experience, but his ceiling is a middle of the pack coach- a guy that won't ever get guys to become more than the sum of their parts. unless he experiences a George Malley Phenomenon moment of getting hit in the head by a shiny ball of light.  He is poor preparing his team to start the season, slow to adapt to changes in a game flow (hasn't proven to make any significant in game adjustments to a game plan), doesn't value a true balanced attack featuring innovative successful running plays, poor clock management, in essence a guy who would be a decent coordinator as he was. But he is a likable guy, patient with the press, a guy who in the business world would be characterized as a "Candy ***" by upper management as one who won't cause problems, won't rock the boat, won't piss off the players by demanding too much and will "go along to get along" etc.. These types never win, never are upper echelon, never overachieve. They do enough and stay because they are likable, fun and don't cause problems. 

In my experience, the hardest people to work with can be brilliant people. They are different. They stretch everyone's concept of how things are done and what can be accomplished.  Look at Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Bill Bellichik, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, and yes even Joe Gibbs. They all share a common trait- failure to them is not being the best- and being the best in the NFL as a coach is a Super Bowl. And that prospect of failure is so severe that they use that to energize themselves to even greater heights in creativity and hard work, even if it means "going against the grain" and ticking people off. Nothing I have seen from Jay over his career demonstrates a burning passion to be the best. You can't make a person have this, everyone says they do, they talk about it, but few really have it- this is instilled in them throughout their life- its a core value as identifiable as a strand of DNA. Some examples in addition to those above are players like Johnny Unitas, Joe Jacoby, Bart Star, Billy Kilmer,  Gary Clark, Brian Mitchell- guys who weren't the best gifted athletes but far surpassed their talent level through passion, hard work and commitment. Like Cool Hand Luke said when he was fighting a much bigger guy- "I'm never going to quit  your going to have to kill me."

Its not all on the coach as the team with Allen as its "President" is also doomed to failure. Mediocre people hire other mediocre people. Allen had a brilliant GM, but ran him off. Scotty Mac exhibits many of the the same characteristics of highly successful people described above just as Bobby Bethard did. But some of those same characteristics threatened Allen and so the last vestige of a poor leader is get rid of people smarter than them who are working for them.  Its the exactly wrong approach. In Business, you want to hire people who are or can be developed into people who can be stars, surpassing even the guy who hired them. But these people don't follow the norms, aren't politically correct, certainly aren't yes men or Candy ***** etc...

Before I summarize I can't shake the image I saw today of Doug Williams from the TV. I feel bad for him as he is Little Danny's Mike Tyson, glad handing fans, greeting guests while all the other legitimate GM's are focusing on the game, building the team, doing everything they can to win on the field. I've met Mike Tyson many times in Vegas. He is there to bring in the high rollers and be a spectacle- basically a prop- and it makes me feel bad for Doug to be used this way. 

So to summarize, I can understand why people don't want to change. We have been terrible for so long that 8-8 and an occasional playoff game seems like progress. Not to me. Success is competing every year with a realistic chance to win the Super Bowl. "The wise man builds his house on rock ... the foolish man builds it on sand". We are building on sand and we can choose to be happy with Pyrite or do what is necessary to go for the real gold. 

Doc out. :)

20 hours ago, TKellion said:

I wish it would happen,Maybe Dan will have a vision while slurping scotch and send them Bruce as well lol.

Dan has hired 6 coaches in 18 years as owner. One was not really like he or Cerrato scouted and he went from nothing to something because it was Joe Gibbs. So while Joe was a tremendous hire and it was great convincing him to come out of retirement, I can’t act like they found a diamond in the rough. 

The 2nd best coach he hired was Schotenheimer who he fired after just one season because he felt he gave Marty too much control and all Marty did next was quickly take the lowly Chargers and make them into super bowl contenders for most of the rest of the decade two years after Dan fired him. Damn, could’ve been us!

Spurier was a failure as an NFL HC who he shouldn’t have hired over keeping Marty.

Zorn was one of the worst hires in NFL history.

Shanahan was a retread too and while he wasn’t awful, he didn’t deliver either.

Gruden has been just fine and I don’t trust that Dan and Bruce are capable of finding anyone better. I believe we would have been a playoff team this year if we had had the Eagles Schedule instead of our own and if we had stayed more healthy.

I think you’re correct. No changes as they are holding out hope Kirk will sign to stay with Gruden

i haven’t heard the complete details of the contract extension but wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t a McNabb style extension that has an out if lil Danny wants it 

in any case the timing of the Kirk decision has bought Gruden another year

3 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I think you’re correct. No changes as they are holding out hope Kirk will sign to stay with Gruden

i haven’t heard the complete details of the contract extension but wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t a McNabb style extension that has an out if lil Danny wants it 

in any case the timing of the Kirk decision has bought Gruden another year

No, Gruden’s performance as coach despite all of the injuries gives him another year and the fact that the players play hard for him even if they are out of the playoffs. 

whatever- he's back for another season unless Kirk does a Marc Gasol:

I will sign with the Redskins, but not with this head coach.

Lets see if Dumbo changes his off season and training camp so that the team is in condition and ready to start and play a season. My bet is he doesn't, but I am hopeful he gets hit by a lightening bolt of inspiration that what he has been doing doesn't work. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

whatever- he's back for another season unless Kirk does a Marc Gasol:

I will sign with the Redskins, but not with this head coach.

Lets see if Dumbo changes his off season and training camp so that the team is in condition and ready to start and play a season. My bet is he doesn't, but I am hopeful he gets hit by a lightening bolt of inspiration that what he has been doing doesn't work. 

I would much rather this happen to Bruce Allen than Gruden.  

Like Gruden or not, the team seems to love to play for him. I’m all for improving the team if it means changing coaches but let’s face it, not too many people want to coach here for Danny/Bruce. Doubt very much we would ever get an established coach again to run this team. 

16 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Like Gruden or not, the team seems to love to play for him. I’m all for improving the team if it means changing coaches but let’s face it, not too many people want to coach here for Danny/Bruce. Doubt very much we would ever get an established coach again to run this team. 

Especially not after what happened with Shanahan. If they ever fire Gruden they’ll have to go that route again; hire an up and coming coordinator.

Archived