Last Games in a Packer Uniform - 2017 Edition

TheOnlyThing

Time for the annual who has played his last game in a Packer uniform as the team, like every other NFL team, gets ready to turn over a significant percentage of its personnel. Last year it was pretty easy to come up with 5 names of players who actually contributed to the team but would not be back (as opposed to listing someone like Demetri Goodson won't be back next season). This year, it is a bit more difficult, but here goes:

1) Ahmad Brooks: This soon to be 34 year old free agent, was signed as an emergency stop gap on the eve of the season and contributed 1.5 sacks this season (doubt he plays or plays much in Detroit). The team needs more out of a #3 OLBer and has several young players who are now getting looks in Biegel, Odom, and Gilbert. Plus, OLB will likely be a priority in round 1 or 2;

2) Joe Thomas: Injured most of the year and well behind Ryan and Martinez as far as playing time, there just is no need to keep a 27 year old who shows no real upside on the roster. Time to go young with some prospect who might actually be a contributor at ILB.

3) Morgan Burnett: GB under Ted is known for not giving out third contracts. Burnett will be 29 next season. He is a solid, but hardly spectacular player, who should seek to get the most money he can on what will likely be his final NFL deal. Josh Jones was drafted in the second round. The writing is on the wall. 

4) Richard Rodgers: I am torn on this one as RR would make a decent backup TE. However, the team has signed 3 FAs to replace him the past two offseasons and Kendricks is still under contract in 2018. Surely, the team realizes it needs a legitimate TE weapon after the Bennett fiasco and will make a concerted effort to acquire one this offseason. Given that reality, unless Kendricks himself is cut (not out of the realm of possibility), I think RR is done.

5) Kyler Fackrell: Last and possibly least, assuming a new DC is brought in, Fackrell's time in GB is likely over. Given every opportunity to help a pass rush in dire need of it, Fackrell flopped. (2 of his 3 sacks came on QB runs, including touching down Deshone Kizer at the line of scrimmage). He lacks strength, explosiveness, and aggressiveness, and guys don't generally make big leaps at age 27. There will no longer be any pressure to play him in 2018 because he was a Ted draft pick as that role will now be filled by Biegel. Here's hoping there is enough talent/prospects at OLB in 2018 that Fackrell has played his last down in Green and Gold. 

This is going to be a very interesting offseason.

Do you not understand the concept that rookie contracts don't usually get released unless they're replaced by a superior player?  You've already advocated releasing Clay Matthews, and IF the Packers follow through on that they'd only have three players (Nick Perry, Vince Biegel, and Kyler Fackrell) under contract going into the draft.  Do you really believe that the Packers are going into the draft with only two OLBs under contract?

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do you not understand the concept that rookie contracts don't usually get released unless they're replaced by a superior player?  You've already advocated releasing Clay Matthews, and IF the Packers follow through on that they'd only have three players (Nick Perry, Vince Biegel, and Kyler Fackrell) under contract going into the draft.  Do you really believe that the Packers are going into the draft with only two OLBs under contract?

They will bring back Odom, Gilbert and Biegel, and they aren't cutting Matthews according to his 5 up here. If they spend 2 draft picks on EDGE players I can very realistically see Fackrell gone after pre season.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

They will bring back Odom, Gilbert and Biegel, and they aren't cutting Matthews according to his 5 up here. If they spend 2 draft picks on EDGE players I can very realistically see Fackrell gone after pre season.

Realistically, I don't see Odom or Gilbert really changing anyone's minds.  Odom played in a bit over 5% of the defensive snaps this year.  I like him as a developmental prospet, but I don't think he's changing minds unless he shows significant development between his rookie and sophomore season.  Same thing with Reggie Gilbert.  I don't see TT releasing a former 3rd round pick unless they really overhaul the position.  I'd anticipate two EDGE players picked, add in Clay and Nick and we're at 4.  Vince Biegel seems to be a likely bet to remain in Green Bay.  So that last spot comes down to Kyler Fackrell and the roster fringe guys we just talked about.  Possible, but that draft pick usage likely gives Fackrell the edge.

TOT, I'm trying really hard because like Luke with Vader, I believe there's good in you.  It has been a repeated topic on here.  Rookies on their rookie deals don't get cut when they've shown any kind of anything.  I like Fackrell less than you do, and even I'm aware he's not the type of player you give up on at this point.  He'll be back next year.  ESPECIALLY if we get a new coordinator.

All I'm asking is that when there are repeated talking points, you try to learn them.  It's a fact that rookie deals and the likelihood of them being seen to the end has been a repeated talking point here. 

Fackrell will be a Packer next year.  We gotta live with it.  Maybe a new coordinator can get more out of him. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

CWood, you've got to keep track of the different threads while engaging in your incessant stalking.

In another thread, I said Clay SHOULD NOT be back in 2018 on his current contract. I still believe that. However, as many have pointed out, with Ted at the helm and the dearth of talent at OLB the chances of Clay being released are nil even if Clay is overpaid at this stage of his career. Hard to argue with those points.

Now, this thread is about which current players fans realistically think ARE going to be playing their last game in a Packers uniform next Sunday.

At this point, PERRY, MATTHEWS, BIEGEL, ODOM, and GILBERT are all scheduled to return at OLB in 2018. Moreover, I cannot fathom that Ted will ignore the position again and not add 1 if not 2 OLBs in 2018, likely with a top 2 draft pick.

Again, assuming a new defensive coordinator is hired, I don't see why it is so unrealistic to think the 27 year old Fackrell will be replaced by a superior player and thus be the odd man out behind Perry, Matthews, Biegel, the new OLB(s), and or Odom/Gilbert. Certainly there is nothing about his play on the field that would merit him being a roster lock in 2018.

PS I note you failed to offer a single name that may not be back while finding the time to carp about why your boy Kyler Fackrell absolutely must be back again in 2018. Shocker.

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

CWood, you've got to keep track of the different threads while engaging in your incessant stalking.

Shoot.  You got me.

7 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

In another thread, I said Clay SHOULD NOT be back in 2018 on his current contract. I still believe that. However, as many have pointed out, with Ted at the helm and the dearth of talent at OLB the chances of Clay being released are nil even if Clay is overpaid at this stage of his career. Hard to argue with those points.

So you're willing to admit there are things that you'd like to do, but are unable to do?  We might be making progress here.

7 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

At this point, PERRY, MATTHEWS, BIEGEL, ODOM, and GILBERT are all scheduled to return at OLB in 2018. Moreover, I cannot fathom that Ted will ignore the position again and not add 1 if not 2 OLBs in 2018, likely with a top 2 draft pick.

What exactly have Chris Odom or Reggie Gilbert that have inspired any confidence in them?  Or is this just your vendetta against Kyler Fackrell?

8 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Again, assuming a new defensive coordinator is hired, I don't see why it is so unrealistic to think the 27 year old Fackrell will be replaced by a superior player and thus be the odd man out behind Perry, Matthews, Biegel, the new OLB(s), and or Odom/Gilbert. Certainly there is nothing about his play on the field that would merit him being a roster lock in 2018.

As I've discussed multiple times, I anticipate Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, and a high draft pick to be our top 3 OLBs.  I'm hopeful that Vince Biegel will take that next step and turn into a quality rotational pass rusher.  Right now, I've got him penciled in as the #4 OLB.  I expect us to double-dip at the EDGE position, so we'll pencil that DP as the #5 OLB.  That leaves the #6 OLB spot open.  So again I'll ask, what exactly has Chris Odom or Reggie Gilbert done that have inspired any level of confidence in them?  Or is this the same shoddy logic that he's not Kyler Fackrell?

And NOBODY is arguing that Fackrell is a roster lock?  Stop making up fictional arguments to fit your agenda.  I've been very vocal that Fackrell is fighting for his roster spot next year.  You're making what I'm assuming the argument is that Fackrell will get release even before training camp.

11 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

PS I note you failed to offer a single name that may not be back while finding the time to carp about why your boy Kyler Fackrell absolutely must be back again in 2018. Shocker.

My boy?  You're incredibly thick if you think I have any fascination with Fackrell.  I thought he was an interesting gamble when the Packers took him.  Nothing more, nothing less.  He's shown he's a mediocre player.  But continue to keep a closed mind when having this discussion.  All I've said is the Packers aren't just going to release him as soon as the season is over because he's on a rookie contract.  Stop making up crap.

15 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

The Addition Via Subtraction List is as follows:

Bert Hundley

Trevor Davis

Geronimo Allison

Quinton Rollins

Kyler Fackrell

Those 5 guys I am 100% certain we could replace via an UDFA and do as good or better than.

My God.  You're 100% certain an UDFA could throw for 8/10 TD/INT and win and lead two game winning overtime games?  The Hundley hate is worse than I thought.  I recognize the username Charisma, and that's a compliment, so it's worse than I ever imagined around here on the Hundley hate.

You're 100% certain an UDFA could have a 65 yard punt return next year?  My God, something strange is happening this draft. 

You're 100% certain an UDFA could have 21 receptions for 238 yards with a backup QB starting over 7 games in a season?  My God, Allison must be the worst 4th string WR in the league.

You're 100% certain an undrafted free agent could get 3 sacks next year?  My God, Fackrell must be the worst 4th string pass rusher in the league.

Seriously guys, the hyperbole on the Packer hate has to stop.  I dislike Fackrell more than anybody here and even I know he's an extremely valuable player based on his contract as a depth player.  This hate is absolutely G-Damn ridiculous.  Charisma, you're better than such hyperbole.

The hate of the Packer roster has to stop.  It's a crappy year and that sucks, but the hate is too much right now.  I'm in the mood to hate literally everything right now and even I'm aware that every single player on our roster, if cut, would find a home on another 53 for 32 other teams right now. 

I think a lot is dependent on what if any changes are made with the front office and coaching staff. If, God forbid, the same exact FO and coaches carry over into next year, I could see things staying close to the status quo with the thinking that losing Rodgers derailed our season and the team around him would’ve been “good enough” with him.

28 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The hate of the Packer roster has to stop.  It's a crappy year and that sucks, but the hate is too much right now.  I'm in the mood to hate literally everything right now and even I'm aware that every single player on our roster, if cut, would find a home on another 53 for 32 other teams right now. 

Did the league expand to 33 teams over x-mas eve?

Archived