Packers / Colts - Post Game

Leader

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Sounds like they took one look at the shoulder and downgraded him to out. That is concerning. 

I heard the same thing, but hopeful it’s a week to week thing and not shut it down for a while. We need our OL intact and he needs reps in game and practice to develop. I’m sure we’ll get a better picture in the week ahead. 

43 minutes ago, Leader said:

Snap counts...........

Not overly surprising with Kraft/Muskgrave considering how run heavy we were playing. Still want Luke to develop there and hopefully unlock him in the passing game. Bullard with 75% of snaps and Williams with 36% at S is one to watch. Hoping those guys both force their way to the field one way or another. For now, Nixon is in the slot but he has young guys who could step up right behind him. Cooper at ILB is also knocking on that door but the vets are fighting to keep their spots. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

IND had three points at the 2-minute warning in Q4, but Hafley is one of Acme's "losers" from the game. IND put up 27 vs HOU a week ago. Make it make sense. 

It took us two weeks to get here, but we made it! The Indianapolis Colts are not a good football team. Their quarterback is fresh, their receiving room is underwhelming, and their offense relies on one guy: RB Jonathan Taylor. This did not stop the Packers D from keeping the Colts in the game the entire time, despite Indianapolis practically BEGGING Green Bay to win with multiple drops and picks thrown right to Packers DBs. We knew Taylor would be the key for the Colts, and the Packers' defense still allowed him 12 carries for 103 yards (an 8.6 average!) This game should not have been close, and with an inexperienced player leading Green Bay’s offense, the defense needed to come up much bigger.

• Like 3

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

IND had three points at the 2-minute warning in Q4, but Hafley is one of Acme's "losers" from the game. IND put up 27 vs HOU a week ago. Make it make sense. 

There were some plays and at critical times where IND beat themselves but agreed that our D created some chaos and definitely took the ball back for our offense. JT was gashing us for a stretch and then went out. Also offense was helping with TOP but credit the D for keeping the shut out going well into the 3rd quarter. 

• Like 1

They absolutely need to figure this out though:

JT - 12 Car 103 Yards 8.6 AVG 

AR - 4 Car 37 Yards 9.2 AVG

LBs need to be able to fill the correct gaps and wrap up. Too many times yesterday did they allow JT to be patient behind his OL and just wait for the LBs to pick the wrong gaps. Just not good enough luckily we will rarely have to play RBs of the skill of the last two weeks. Arguably 2 of the best RBs we will face. 

• Like 2

Hafley cant scheme Blitzes properly

Other than that his scheme is perfect so far.

Our Secondary tackling has improved compared to 1st game. Our Box tackling and gap alignment has to improve more. There are multiple times when our defenders are meeting colts RB at LOS and not able to bring him down. That has to get improved.

Edited by Jaire_Island

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

"It took us two weeks to get here, but we made it! The Indianapolis Colts are not a good football team. Their quarterback is fresh, their receiving room is underwhelming, and their offense relies on one guy: RB Jonathan Taylor. This did not stop the Packers D from keeping the Colts in the game the entire time, despite Indianapolis practically BEGGING Green Bay to win with multiple drops and picks thrown right to Packers DBs. We knew Taylor would be the key for the Colts, and the Packers' defense still allowed him 12 carries for 103 yards (an 8.6 average!) This game should not have been close, and with an inexperienced player leading Green Bay’s offense, the defense needed to come up much bigger."

This dude has anger issues and needs glasses. We had three picks. We had the football for over 40 minutes. The game would have been over by halftime, but for an inexperienced quarterback and a fumble at the Colts 1 yard line by Jacobs, who had a hell of a game other than that.  

MLF's play calling kept the Colts in the game by continually forcing the run on 1st down with the Colts made halftime adjustments to stop the run. Willis would have had easy throws on first down had LaFleur allowed him to throw in once in a while. Might have also helped if Myers hadn't puked on the football before snapping it. Shouldn't that have been illegal procedure? There was movement before the ball was snapped. 

To lay this on a defense that gave up 10 points is rather funny tbh. 

If all our offense has to do to win a game is score more than 10 points, I think Willis could get us to the playoffs. 

Edited by Old Guy

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Rasheed Walker kind of flying under the radar, but that ******* needs to stop with the holds.

Yea he was better overall yesterday. No pressures surrendered (only 14 passes), but had the one hold that took 7 off the board. He needs to settle in and find his groove like he did last year.

PFF Best/Worst Grades.

Top 5 offense

1. RB Josh Jacobs: 77.2
2. WR Romeo Doubs: 74.4
3. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 73.9
4. LG Elgton Jenkins: 70.2
5. QB Malik Willis: 69.6

Jacobs gained 126 yards after first contact, forced six missed tackles and had four runs of 10 or more yards. He fumbled at the goal line but also created eight rushing first downs. Doubs caught all three of his targets, averaged 20.7 yards per catch and made a contested 39-yard catch on third down. Wicks caught three of four targets, including two conversions on third down. Jenkins didn’t allow a pressure for the second straight week and was solid in the run game. One of Willis’ two incompletions was a throwaway, and he didn’t have a turnover play.

Top 5 defense

1. LB Eric Wilson: 99.4
2. S Javon Bullard: 78.3
3. CB Jaire Alexander: 70.7
4. CB Eric Stokes: 69.1
5. CB Carrington Valentine: 65.9

Wilson helped create a third-down stop and also had an interception of Anthony Richarson on just eight snaps played. Bullard broke up a pass, had five total tackles without a miss and didn’t allow a catch into his coverage. Alexander gave up just one catch on 39 coverage snaps. Stokes played only 24 snaps but didn’t give up a catch over 17 coverage snaps. Valentine had four tackles and a pass breakup.

Bottom 5 offense

1. RG Jordan Morgan: 48.5
2. WR Bo Melton: 52.6
3. RB MarShawn Lloyd: 53.3
4. RT Zach Tom: 55.8
5. WR Christian Watson: 56.3

Morgan graded out poorly in the run game and left the game after 20 snaps with a shoulder injury. Melton rushed twice for eight yards but graded out poorly as a run blocker. Lloyd turned seven touches into 18 yards. Tom committed two penalties and earned an average grade as a run blocker. Watson played 41 snaps but didn’t receive a touch or a target.

Bottom 5 defense

1. LB Quay Walker: 40.1
2. DE Kingsley Enagbare: 43.7
3. DE Rashan Gary: 45.5
4. DE Lukas Van Ness: 47.2
5. DL Kenny Clark: 48.6

Walker missed two tackles, gave up four catches in coverage and was poor against the run overall. Enagbare played 23 pass-rushing snaps but didn’t have a pressure. Gary played 24 pass-rushing snaps but didn’t have a pressure. Van Ness played 15 pass-rushing snaps but had just one hurry. Clark had three hurries but graded out poorly against the run for the second straight week.

Special teams

The Packers didn’t have a tackle on special teams — there were no returned kickoffs or punts. The special teams also weren’t penalized. Brayden Narveson made his first three field goals but missed from 45 yards. Daniel Whelan pinned all three of his punts inside the 20-yard line, including two inside the 10. Jayden Reed did get dinged for a muffed punt. Eric Wilson led the way with 17 snaps on special teams.

Quarterback play

Malik Willis: 69.6

Willis had an adjusted completion percentage of 92.3 (one throwaway) and didn’t have a turnover worthy play. He scrambled three times. He got the ball out in 2.53 seconds on average. Seven of his 12 completions produced first downs or touchdowns. Willis also rushed for 41 yards. He was 2/3 for 44 yards on passes thrown over 10 yards in the air.

Stat to know

The Packers forced 10 missed tackles, gained 177 after first contact, created nine runs of 10 or more yards and five of 15 or more yards and produced 13 first downs in the run game against the Colts.

• Like 2

My takeaways.....

First off, watched it on DVR as the fishing has been excellent as of late.  Giant muskies and gorgeous walleyes.

My player of the game was MLF.  Hands down.  Watching that run scheme in the first half was a thing of beauty.

Shoutout to Greg Olsen for calling the heavy box, or Bears front, right away and that took away our running game.

Seems like MLF really learned from that Love/Chiefs game a few years ago.  He didn't let Willis lose the game.

Jacobs looked like the workhorse that he was supposed to be.  In the open field, he doesn't look fast, but he he really is.  First guy often misses him and that stiff arm is legit.

Kraft.  I'll want to see the snap counts for TE's, because I rarely saw Luke out there.  I did see Sims.  But Kraft was working it, big time.  He's probably our best all around TE.

I saw Rhyan doing Runyan impressions inside, and I mean that as a compliment.  Dirty stuff.  And...on a couple big runs, he was pulling and did a great job.  I thought Morgan looked really good in space, again, and still looked like power rushes and power moves into him just straighten him up and walk him backwards.

I saw Tom have one horrible rep in the run game.  And I saw a poor pass set.  Then I saw him just owning it out there.  Another strong game from Tom, I thought.  Walker was meh.  Myers was just fine, Jenkins was quite good.  But watching Kraft pull, lead....etc, that was beautiful.

As far as offense goes, when Love goes back in there, this is a championship level offense that can be balanced.  It could be scary good in a few weeks when that line gels.

Defense.  I know that they played well, or Richardson played poorly, however you saw it, I won't fight you.  I thought that Quay had a poor game.  Wilson had a great game.  JA was very good.  And I saw Stokes start, but soon it was Valentine's time.  I hope Valentine keeps that job.  He looks to have a whole lot more confidence in himself out there than Stokes has right now.  I was looking for Bullard, didn't notice him much.  I was looking for Cooper to flash, and I didn't notice him much.

Did notice Wyatt inside.  Did not notice Brooks or really Clark.  Did see some LVN inside, which made me happy.

So on the defense, I though the unit played well, despite not having anyone really dominate and jump off the screen, which is a great sign.  Sooner or later we will play a QB who is a pocket passer and then we can really rush.

And we still haven't solved the kicker issue.  Our punt team looks odd to me, too.  Like our punter is a yard forward too much, or the snap takes a long time to get there, something just looks odd and slow from snap to kick.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2