Packers / Colts - Post Game

Leader

I like bashing Quay as much as the next guy, but suggesting he wouldn't make any other team roster is just dumb.  Barring injury, Quay will be getting a second contract.  Whether he will remain in GB, and whether he'll still be starting is open for debate.  I expect both of those answers are likely to be "yes"

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StatKing said:

Average players get second deals when they hit free agency. I'd be surprised if he makes another team. The guy has been a bottom third ILB since he got in the league, I feel pretty safe calling him a bust.

This is just well.... Stupid. I would bet Quay would not only be on another roster if he was able to walk he would be starting somewhere. He hasn't been great so far in the new scheme but some players are absolutely going to need time to gel with the new scheme. So far I like what I see outside of the run lanes seem undisciplined at times. 

Also we have played 2 of the most unique QB athletes in the NFL. I'll pass judgement on the entire front 7 when we play a more average athlete at QB. 

Edited by Spartacus

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

This is just well.... Stupid. I would bet Quay would not only be on another roster if he was able to walk he would be starting somewhere. He hasn't been great so far in the new scheme but some players are absolutely going to need time to gel with the new scheme. So far I like what I see outside of the run lanes seem undisciplined at times. 

Also we have played 2 of the most unique QB athletes in the NFL. I'll pass judgement on the entire front 7 when we play a more average athlete at QB. 

I don't think it's asking much to expect him to play above replacement level. Different scheme with the same results. People think it's crazy when I say he wouldn't make another team but who wants a linebacker that has no linebacker instincts?

So I rewatched the game focusing on the defense and although Quay was certainly slow to react at times it did seem like they were asking him to spy more so then be that downhill gap penetrator. It didn't work out but i'm curious with this week. The one player who really stuck out in a bad way that hasn't gotten much flack is Nixon.... He was targeted I think something like 11 times and frankly if it wasn't for some piss poor drops by the offense would have given up 10 of 11 with over 100 yards. If he keeps it up you absolutely have to think about moving Bullard or Valentine into the slot. You can't have that weak spot in the secondary against better teams. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Quay was the 2nd best player on the defense last year behind Clark. 

Stop engaging with Statking.  Give Quay a few games to play with Cooper and Get Clark to start playing well.

He was terrible on Sunday, there's no reason not to point that out or express concern. Literally every Packers beat writer and media person is talking about it too, this isn't some "crazy fan" theory (I see you RT ;)). He's one of the worst graded ILBs in the league through two weeks. No one is saying "cut him now!" or overreacting, but it's hard to play defense at an elite level as a unit when you are not getting at least average play there (frankly the ILB group as a whole is underwhelming right now - McDuffie and Cooper didn't play very well either on Sunday). 

Here's some of the film that people are pointing out. Right now, Walker is taking three steps when he should be taking one. Not only is he reacting slow to the play, but he's often making the wrong read and then is forced to recover. Lacking instincts as a Mike LB is like trying to drive a sports car with diesel instead of premium gas. Is it fixable? I don't know, usually you either have instincts or you don't... Yet another reason why I would move Quay to the weakside. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 4

Having Duff run the seam sure isnt going to be a strong point for him and even with Coops few snaps theres been problems there.

Its going to be Quay sink or swim until the bye.

Im thinking we get comfy with some explosive runs against unless we change up the front and get a bit heavier.

Even though outside of base hes mike like 66% of the time

Edited by HighCalebR

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

So I rewatched the game focusing on the defense and although Quay was certainly slow to react at times it did seem like they were asking him to spy more so then be that downhill gap penetrator. It didn't work out but i'm curious with this week. The one player who really stuck out in a bad way that hasn't gotten much flack is Nixon.... He was targeted I think something like 11 times and frankly if it wasn't for some piss poor drops by the offense would have given up 10 of 11 with over 100 yards. If he keeps it up you absolutely have to think about moving Bullard or Valentine into the slot. You can't have that weak spot in the secondary against better teams. 

I could see moving Bullard to the slot and starting Evan Williams next to X. Gotta get Williams on the field. 

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I think no ones mentioning it because weve been waiting for him to be replaced since he got on the field. Nobody is defending ol boy. But i think hes gonna need a couple of those 10-11 100 yard days before hes replaced.

5 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

OL help. Excuse me

Not speaking for you, but.....

I don't feel like we could use much help there.  The best help we can get is on the bench with Monk and/or Morgan (depending if you label Morgan a starter).

I think reps with Monk is all he really needs.  And I still feel like Dillard can function as a swing tackle in this offense if he had to.

But maybe I'm just feeling a little more optimistic today.

In the big picture, though, we are 2 games into a new system.  It's a long season.  No reason to trade anybody right now because of a knee jerk reaction to two weeks.  Though admittedly, Nixon's history isn't helping his cause.  Have to feel like there's no value in him with the new kickoff rule and his tape on defense.

And while I think that LVN needs more EDGE snaps and those could come from Enagbare, I do like the DE/EDGE depth that we have.  And again, it's a long season.