Week 3: Eagles @ Saints - We Suck Again

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Eh its arguable now, but he's still in that 4-8 range imo.

Maybe he could have been at some point of his career, he definitely look like he could be top 5 just when Ertz left, but never materialized, at least not production-wise. Now there's other TEs than have a better case than him.  

3 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Maybe he could have been at some point of his career, he definitely look like he could be top 5 just when Ertz left, but never materialized, at least not production-wise. Now there's other TEs than have a better case than him.  

Again I'm not judging solely off production. I factor in how good he is as a blocker, how good he is at YAC and usually at the catch point.

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Again I'm not judging solely off production. I factor in how good he is as a blocker, how good he is at YAC and usually at the catch point.

Oh yes but either way he never could, it's not like George Kittle who sometimes doesn't produce because he blocks a ton, bur has dominated regardless. Goedert is good, don't get me wrong, but never reached top 5 as we expected him to. 

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

Oh yes but either way he never could, it's not like George Kittle who sometimes doesn't produce because he blocks a ton, bur has dominated regardless. Goedert is good, don't get me wrong, but never reached top 5 as we expected him to. 

He's been top 5 for at least 2-3 years. I don't care if he didn't get a ton of targets like Ertz.

3 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He's been top 5 for at least 2-3 years. I don't care if he didn't get a ton of targets like Ertz.

There was always something keeping him off the top 5. 

As a side note. He can't hold Ertz's jock.

This reminds me of the DeSean vs Maclin debate in here in which everyone preferred Maclin because he was a more rounded player. And he was but that didn't make him better, but I digress.  

3 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

As a side note. He can't hold Ertz's jock.

As a route runner? Nah. I'm trusting Ertz with the game on the line to win like he did in the Super Bowl.

But, to me Goedert is the better all around TE and what I want more so from the position.

4 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

This reminds me of the DeSean vs Maclin debate in here in which everyone preferred Maclin because he was a more rounded player. And he was but that didn't make him better, but I digress.  

Don't think I ever thought Maclin was better at anything except being a chain mover.

DeSean is arguably the greatest deep threat of all time. Having a trump card at WR is big.

20 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

it's not like George Kittle who sometimes doesn't produce because he blocks a ton

This is also a misconception/incorrect.

I just checked their snap counts....

Goedert ran block on 44.8% of his snaps in 2022, while Kittle ran block on 42.1% of his snaps.

Goedert ran block on 40% of his snaps in 2023, while Kittle ran block on 40.8% of his snaps.

Goedert ran block on 41.4% of his snaps this year, while Kittle ran block on 40.1% of his snaps.

With that said, Kittle is the more impactful run blocker, but he's probably the best in the league for a TE that receives too. I also think Shanahan utilizes Kittle more/better than we have Goedert in the past (maybe this year is different w/ Moore). Purdy and Jimmy also attack the MOF a lot more than Hurts has and Goedert was competing with Ertz for targets during his early years.

Edit: I obviously agree there has been something holding him back whether its been injuries, concentration drops, utilization, etc. I definitely think he was well worth the 2nd round pick we spent on him even if we haven't been able to get as much out of him as we could've.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

As a route runner? Nah. I'm trusting Ertz with the game on the line to win like he did in the Super Bowl.

But, to me Goedert is the better all around TE and what I want more so from the position.

Don't think I ever thought Maclin was better at anything except being a chain mover.

DeSean is arguably the greatest deep threat of all time. Having a trump card at WR is big.

As a route runner and a pass catcher. 

Yes, he's more rounded but not the better TE, at least not for us. 

9 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

This is also a misconception/incorrect.

I just checked their snap counts....

Goedert ran block on 44.8% of his snaps in 2022, while Kittle ran block on 42.1% of his snaps.

Goedert ran block on 40% of his snaps in 2023, while Kittle ran block on 40.8% of his snaps.

Goedert ran block on 41.4% of his snaps this year, while Kittle ran block on 40.1% of his snaps.

With that said, Kittle is the more impactful run blocker, but he's probably the best in the league for a TE that receives too. I also think Shanahan utilizes Kittle more/better than we have Goedert in the past (maybe this year is different w/ Moore). Purdy and Jimmy also attack the MOF a lot more than Hurts has and Goedert was competing with Ertz for targets during his early years.

Edit: I obviously agree there has been something holding him back whether its been injuries, concentration drops, utilization, etc. I definitely think he was well worth the 2nd round pick we spent on him even if we haven't been able to get as much out of him as we could've.

I agree with your edit, might not have been the best use of value at the time but for what we have gotten out of him so far, it was well worth it. 

Edited by Broadway Joe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I know those Eagles fans existed, but love or hate DeSean he could make a house call on any given play.  Imagine prime DeSean getting to play with Mahomes...might've had a HOF career.

• Like 1