GDT Week 3: (1-1) Cowboys v (0-2) Ravens

DaBoys

52 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

So let's say being soft is one hundred percent true.. How do we fix that.. Is that strictly coaching mentality? Is it the type of player we draft or sign? Is it a culture that has been here longer than most players, So it will happen anyhow? Is it caused by Dallas having over exposed " America's team type of atmosphere"??

I really do believe that mentality.As you describe has been here forever and yet it seems to prevail every season..

Basically what @HDsportsfan said, it’s the culmination of everything. But, it really starts at the top and the **** rolls down hill from there. The Jones’s. Ever wonder how serious the players take them, specifically Jerry? I’d bet it’s much on par as we do here. 

6 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Will McClay?

I get the hate for Jerry. But there's two other sets of hands in the kitchen playing big parts in the roster construction. Stephen and McClay.

And for every painful loss this roster is handed. You really can't ignore the fact that it is still quite a talented core group. Regardless of what one thinks of Dak and his contract, he is still one of the top passers around. Overrated? Likely, depending on the person talking. Underrated? Perhaps also in the same light of who's doing the talking. I think the truth is more in the middle 

But Dak aside. It's still a damn good roster that for two weeks now has severely under achieved. And maybe this is the coach in me giving too much weight to the importance of a teams coaching but it's my belief that the under achieving, not just these last 2 weeks but these last 2 or 3 years, is closely tied to the coaching.

Why are top tier man cover guys like Diggs being asked to play zone coverage and gap control? Why are linebackers who excel in TE coverage and man assignments over half backs being asked to plug gaps? I get there isn't enough beef or style of players out there to handle those duties so they are asked to do so. But isn't it a coaches job to put their players in the best position to succeed? Zimmer isn't doing that.

And offensively we knew the run game was going to be a problem ... What most did not expect is problematic pass protection making the passing game struggle as well. I figured it would be a problem, as Beebe was never good in protection, and Guyton was such a raw athlete that I kept saying he should not see the field at ANY position for at least a year. And that Martin hasn't been more than an excellent isolation blocker in 2 years now.. but there are so many ways to scheme the plays up to generate production on the ground and help a struggling line. Maybe not to perfection or without hurting something else. But a good coach will scheme these things to assist the problem areas. McCarthy hasn't ...

But regardless, once more, of these short comings and issues. It's still a good roster. I think Parsons is a little over hyped but he's still top notch. Martin is no where near what he was but still one of the best. Lamb is easily the best route runner in the game today and one of the best with the ball in his hands .. I could drag this list out but the post is long enough 

Bring in a better staff instead of these retreads and this is an entirely different discussion today

I don't know, you can go down the list of HCs from McCarthy to Parcells and it's the same result. A lot of regular season wins, nothing to show in post season.

Different QB, DC, stars on defense from D. Ware to Parsons, same story. 

This culture in Dallas is all show. Its fluff and no substance.

These guys don't ball. Are you watching the same game in watching? Defensively we're getting manhandled. I mean pushed 9 yards off the ball before anyone is even close.

Did you see Jackson yesterday on that broken play? He looked to handoff, no one there, he stood there like the whistle blew and then ran up the gut for 7 yards. We didn't even get close to him until he reached the 2nd level.

How about offensively? On Baltimore's 2nd TD, that pass to the flat and nobody Jones ran it to the 5. That ball is out in 3 steps.

Dak? Drop back, scan the field, 6 seconds, 8 seconds, pocket collapsing, outcome?

A: forced pass into double coverage.

B: sack.

C turnover.

I mean, it's pathetic and so predictable.

He's got no pocket awareness or poise.

It's so sad. I was at my in laws watching it yesterday and they actually pityed me! "Aww Dave, so sorry." I mean, not trying to be funny, actual genuine felt bad. Iggles fans feeling bad for a Dallas fan.

This is what it has come to. The ultimate humiliation.

Thanks Jerry. I hope you die a thousand painful deaths!

4 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

I think it's all the above. Depending on the player, depends on the percentage assigned to the variables you listed above.

Like Isaid, help iso n the way, Stephen Jones is next man up.

Stephon Jones??? Is that who our hope is on? I pass. How did Al Davis' kid work out after Al ?? I think there are some definite parallels 

9 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Will McClay?

I get the hate for Jerry. But there's two other sets of hands in the kitchen playing big parts in the roster construction. Stephen and McClay.

I stopped reading after this; 1) because it’s bullsh!t, and 2) because I don’t care what coaching excuses you muster up. Jerry is the one responsible for this, as he is the one who creates the culture. And, as long as he calls himself “GM”, then he will get the blame for his blatant eff ups.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Is it the type of player we draft or sign?

This.

I remember game one 1993 when Emmitt was on hold out and we got blown out. The whole team was in a funk. When Emmitt got back on the field the Cowboys went on a tear. We need a spark plug who can fire up the team. A catalyst to ignite the rocket. 

37 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Even with Dak playing poorly on Sunday, that loss, in my opinion, fell primarily on three things (outside of Jerry’s culture of zero accountability): 1. the coaching staff, 2. the defense, and 3. the lack of a running game. Given Dak’s limitations as a QB (which are significant and become very pronounced without a reliable RB), he has no chance to succeed when those other areas fail miserably. 

13 hours ago, TVScout said:

This.

I remember game one 1993 when Emmitt was on hold out and we got blown out. The whole team was in a funk. When Emmitt got back on the field the Cowboys went on a tear. We need a spark plug who can fire up the team. A catalyst to ignite the rocket. 

There isn’t one on the team, and we all know that we don’t have the coach or the culture to create that anymore, and haven’t since Jimmy was here. As long as Jerry is in control, nothing will ultimately change.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Even with Dak playing poorly on Sunday, that loss, in my opinion, fell primarily on three things (outside of Jerry’s culture of zero accountability): 1. the coaching staff, 2. the defense, and 3. the lack of a running game. Given Dak’s limitations as a QB (which are significant and become very pronounced without a reliable RB), he has no chance to succeed when those other areas fail miserably. 

You're not wrong, but under those conditions, there probably aren't too many or any QBs that will have success. Defense may very well end up in the bottom 5 this season. No Running game means our piss poor defense stays on longer. Dak ends up either forcing issues. Coaching doesn't appear to lead to any good in-game adjustments etc..

Just hard to imagine anything good coming out of these shortcomings 

Edited by resilient part 2

20 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

I don't know, you can go down the list of HCs from McCarthy to Parcells and it's the same result. A lot of regular season wins, nothing to show in post season.

Different QB, DC, stars on defense from D. Ware to Parsons, same story. 

This culture in Dallas is all show. Its fluff and no substance.

These guys don't ball. Are you watching the same game in watching? Defensively we're getting manhandled. I mean pushed 9 yards off the ball before anyone is even close.

Did you see Jackson yesterday on that broken play? He looked to handoff, no one there, he stood there like the whistle blew and then ran up the gut for 7 yards. We didn't even get close to him until he reached the 2nd level.

How about offensively? On Baltimore's 2nd TD, that pass to the flat and nobody Jones ran it to the 5. That ball is out in 3 steps.

Dak? Drop back, scan the field, 6 seconds, 8 seconds, pocket collapsing, outcome?

A: forced pass into double coverage.

B: sack.

C turnover.

I mean, it's pathetic and so predictable.

He's got no pocket awareness or poise.

It's so sad. I was at my in laws watching it yesterday and they actually pityed me! "Aww Dave, so sorry." I mean, not trying to be funny, actual genuine felt bad. Iggles fans feeling bad for a Dallas fan.

This is what it has come to. The ultimate humiliation.

Thanks Jerry. I hope you die a thousand painful deaths!

Parcells was the one time that this team wasn’t soft imo. They were hard nosed and stopped the run. Unfortunately, Parcells didn’t last long enough to coach Romo. He had freaking Drew Bledsoe at QB. Jerry had to get T.O. and he was done after that. 

Edited by Tony7188
  • Like 1