GDT Week 3: (1-1) Cowboys v (0-2) Ravens

DaBoys

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I know I’m a bit progressive with my roster building approach, but I honestly think the best way to win in todays NFL is to have a talented QB on a 5 year(which means 1st round pick) rookie deal, and give him the keys to a Lamborghini of a depth chart. 

You ONLY give him a mega deal if he is a true Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning type QB. Which means, yes, most QBs wont get a 2nd deal.  If he is good but not great you trade him to a desperate organization at the end of his rookie deal for a draft pick and start over. You DON’T sign him to a mega deal. That’s the worst thing a franchise can do. 

That works.  But you better have the coaching staff to make it work. And you better be drafting Eli rather than Ryan.   And Eli better want to play for YOU

let’s see what happens to Chicago over the next couple years the closest team to your example.   
my only not pick is including Brady on your list 

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

Wondering which would surprise me more tomorrow, Defense or Offense coming up Big.

Defense coming up big would surprise me the most. Ravens are a Run first team. They can generate a crap load of yards on the ground. Our Defense is not good at stopping the run at all. If they can hold Ravens to under 150 yards total rushing, I’d be shocked!  

47 minutes ago, quiller said:

That works.  But you better have the coaching staff to make it work.

The thing is, Coaches are usually on 3-4 year deals and most of them want to pick their QB.

And IDK that Chicago is the best example lol. How about the 49ers? Imo they need to ride Purdy for 3 seasons, and trade him. Teams are getting 4th round picks for busts like Trey Lance, and Justin Fields. If your QB just shows he can be average you can get great returns. I bet the 49ers could get multiple high draft picks for Purdy from multiple teams who just don’t get it. The 49ers continue to stack their roster and draft another QB or two. In order for it to work you would probably need to take a QB every year, even if it’s a mid rounder. 

Having a QB on a rookie deal means you can always sign your CD Lambs, and Micah Parsons, and you can even keep your Tyron Smiths if you want; theres plenty of money to go around. Then bring in Danielle Hunter, Joe Mixon, Stephon Diggs for example(their combined AAV is $60M but you could do a lot more if you played money ball with it).

Edited by DaBoys

12 hours ago, DaBoys said:

The thing is, Coaches are usually on 3-4 year deals and most of them want to pick their QB.

And IDK that Chicago is the best example lol. How about the 49ers? Imo they need to ride Purdy for 3 seasons, and trade him. Teams are getting 4th round picks for busts like Trey Lance, and Justin Fields. If your QB just shows he can be average you can get great returns. I bet the 49ers could get multiple high draft picks for Purdy from multiple teams who just don’t get it. The 49ers continue to stack their roster and draft another QB or two. In order for it to work you would probably need to take a QB every year, even if it’s a mid rounder. 

Having a QB on a rookie deal means you can always sign your CD Lambs, and Micah Parsons, and you can even keep your Tyron Smiths if you want; theres plenty of money to go around. Then bring in Danielle Hunter, Joe Mixon, Stephon Diggs for example(their combined AAV is $60M but you could do a lot more if you played money ball with it).

I would love to follow SF. But the biggest issue with that is we need their COACH. Or Andy Reid. But let’s see how well they do with out lucking out in getting some one to give away McCaffery.  And also don’t forget for a while they couldn’t win with out Trent Williams playing.  My main issue with this premise is you have to luck into a QB in the draft.  Or get lucking that one like Burrows is coming out when guy need a QB AND you have the draft capital to trade for the no1 pick AND the team with the no1 pick already has a stud QB

8 minutes ago, quiller said:

I would love to follow SF. But the biggest issue with that is we need their COACH. Or Andy Reid. But let’s see how well they do with out lucking out in getting some one to give away McCaffery.  And also don’t forget for a while they couldn’t win with out Trent Williams playing.  My main issue with this premise is you have to luck into a QB in the draft.  Or get lucking that one like Burrows is coming out when guy need a QB AND you have the draft capital to trade for the no1 pick AND the team with the no1 pick already has a stud QB

Lucking into a QB shouldn’t be a deterrent for a team that has started a 4th rounder and a UDFA for the last 20 years. We haven’t spent a first on a QB since 1989. Pretty sure that’s the longest no 1st round QB streak in the NFL. Im basically calling for the Cowboys to keep doing what they’re doing just stop signing the QBs to mega deals when they lean on the roster you built around them.