Surprisingly good/bad movies

UKTexans

We've all headed off to our local theatres with high hopes, we've heard the hype and can't wait to see the latest blockbuster only to be soundly disappointed. Conversely, we've been forced into watching a movie we don't really care for only to be astonished at its quality. 

So I want to know what are the movies that surprised you? 

First good one that comes to mind for me when thinking of good movies is "The Kingsman". The trailer looked corny and the idea sounded like a bad Bond spoof. Turned out to be a little gem and I'm looking forward to the second instalment! 

Spiderman 3 has to be one of the worst franchise killers of all time for me. Has Toby Maguire been in anything since? Ugh, awful movie. 

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

We've all headed off to our local theatres with high hopes, we've heard the hype and can't wait to see the latest blockbuster only to be soundly disappointed. Conversely, we've been forced into watching a movie we don't really care for only to be astonished at its quality. 

So I want to know what are the movies that surprised you? 

First good one that comes to mind for me when thinking of good movies is "The Kingsman". The trailer looked corny and the idea sounded like a bad Bond spoof. Turned out to be a little gem and I'm looking forward to the second instalment! 

Spiderman 3 has to be one of the worst franchise killers of all time for me. Has Toby Maguire been in anything since? Ugh, awful movie. 

The only movie I can remember him in was Great Gatsby.

Spiderman 3 was awful, good nomination. 

Disappointments:

Cowboys and Aliens (thought it would be at least entertaining)

Green Lantern (although I tend to think it wasn't as bad as it is made out to be)

Napoleon Dynamite (probably because it was hyped too much)

Pleasant Surprises:

Paranormal Activity

Cabin in the Woods

1 minute ago, skywlker32 said:

Disappointments:

Cowboys and Aliens (thought it would be at least entertaining)

Green Lantern (although I tend to think it wasn't as bad as it is made out to be)

Napoleon Dynamite (probably because it was hyped too much)

Pleasant Surprises:

Paranormal Activity

Cabin in the Woods

Loved Cabin in the Woods.  Very innovative story.  Definitely caught me by surprise.

1 minute ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Loved Cabin in the Woods.  Very innovative story.  Definitely caught me by surprise.

One of my favorites. I have had other people watch it and they all seem to have the same thoughts going into it that it will be a super cheesy spoof movie. It's a pretty cool story with a nice slow reveal.

Last Shift is probably the best independent horror movie I've ever seen.

Sinister was the worst major release horror movie I've seen in a long time.  I still can't get over how anybody in the entire world thought that was a good movie after the half naked kid crawled out of a box in an attempt at a major scare.  Who came up with that idea?  "Know what would be really scary?  If a kid just unfolded out of a box!"  "Totally, totally, that would give me nightmares.  Know what else?  Know what else?  If a bunch of ghostly kids ran around and shh'd a guy!"  "Oh my God, we're going to scare so many people!" 

Olympus Has Fallen is probably the closest to a late 80s/early 90s action movie we'll ever get again.  I'd say it was the best pure action movie since 95.  By pure action, I mean no elements of science fiction or futurism. 

Speaking of action, Dredd was THE best non-pure action movie since the time I referenced earlier.  It is a damn crying shame it didn't get the recognition it deserved. 

Annabelle was a very surprising major horror production.  As a spin off, and about a doll, the movie managed some truly original and inventive scares.

Bone Tomahawk is a movie I'd recommend to anybody who has ever liked Kurt Russell.  A lot was made about it being a Western Horror movie.  That's not true.  It's not a horror movie, it's a Western Thriller.  Horror is applied to far too many non-horror movies.  If it's something that could happen as we know the world (not supernatural or preternatural), it's a thriller.  If it's supernatural or preternatural or sometimes having to do with the cosmos, it's horror.  

Batman versus Superman and Suicide Squad were two movies that were surprisingly bad.  They got too cute with how they wanted to adapt major villains, the dialogue didn't know if it wanted to be funny or serious, and both tried to blend the severity of Nolan's Batman universe with Marvel's brand.  Both movies had a lot of cool elements, but as movies, neither were good, and both were bad. 

5 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Same. They sold it perfectly though. Went in expecting a real "horror movie", but ended up leaving satisfied watching the parody/homage to the horror genre.

Think you guys have touched on a lot of the recent surprises/disappointments I've seen recently. Another surprise for me would be Chronicle, didn't know what to expect going into it, but was pretty pleased walking out of the theater. Still surprised there has been no sequel, to this point.

The Kingsman is the one that came to mind first.  I went and saw it because of my little brother thinking it would be horrible and turns out I watch it every time I see it on HBO or something now. 

I feel like Wonder Woman was somewhat of a disappointment.  The effects and graphics were so bad at times it just killed any drama trying to take place.  I think the acting was good, but too much cheese, slow motion, and poorly done effects for my liking.  This wasn't a low budget backyard film, it seems they could find someone to make the effects/CGI someone decent.

17 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The Kingsman is the one that came to mind first.  I went and saw it because of my little brother thinking it would be horrible and turns out I watch it every time I see it on HBO or something now. 

I feel like Wonder Woman was somewhat of a disappointment.  The effects and graphics were so bad at times it just killed any drama trying to take place.  I think the acting was good, but too much cheese, slow motion, and poorly done effects for my liking.  This wasn't a low budget backyard film, it seems they could find someone to make the effects/CGI someone decent.

I totally agree about Kingsman. Watched it on a plane thinking it would be lame and it was so freaking good

My wife and I randomly watched Stardust on a Sunday afternoon one time and we were both pleasantly surprised how much we liked it.  If you haven't seen it, it stars a pre-Daredevil Charlie Cox, a pre-Superman Henry Cavill, Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, Ricky Gervais, Mark Strong, and more.  Oh and its narrated by Sir Ian McKellen.

Archived