Surprisingly good/bad movies

UKTexans

Spiderman 3 was an insane letdown.

American Gangster was not a bad film by any stretch, but I was expecting to be blown away. Same thing with Pride & Glory.

Semi-Pro was sad.

We Own the Night was a surprise excellent movie.

I didn't think The Hangover was going to be any good. That was a mistake.

Never in a million years thoughtj SuperBad would be amazing.

X-Men: Apocalypse was a train wreck from the word go to me. It's disappointing because the whole First Class series was on the other side of this question, a surprisingly good rebirth of a franchise that had ended on equally disappointing terms. First Class was very good, Days of Future's Past was GREAT...and Apocalypse just let all of that momentum drop.

To this day, I think Genosha Island should have been the end of the FC trilogy, and Apocalypse should have been a three part series in itself. Apocalypse should have been the XM/Fox equivalent of Thanos, an ultra powerful bad guy who was conceptualized in the waning moments of the FC franchise, then brought to life, fought against and defeated in the next three movies. Instead, we get a less appealing Ultron, a baddie who is spoke of as this force, but is beaten by a late addition to the team. 

This movie makes me wretch.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Never in a million years thoughtj SuperBad would be amazing.

I think the thing that really caught people off guard is that when that movie was coming out, they were marketing it as an instant classic... and then it actually was (imo, at least) an instant classic.

The only reason I saw In Bruges is because I thought the cast looked solid, but I really had no expectations going into it.  Now it's probably in my top 25 of all time.

Kingsman and John Wick were the other two I thought of, but both have been mentioned already.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:55 PM, MKnight82 said:

My wife and I randomly watched Stardust on a Sunday afternoon one time and we were both pleasantly surprised how much we liked it.  If you haven't seen it, it stars a pre-Daredevil Charlie Cox, a pre-Superman Henry Cavill, Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, Ricky Gervais, Mark Strong, and more.  Oh and its narrated by Sir Ian McKellen.

I love this movie. I had read the book years ago, so I wanted to see the movie. I found it entirely charming. Very fun movie. 

If we're talking about Spiderman.. Homecoming was the best, IMO. They really casted it great with Holland.

Disappointing for me, and its probably an unpopular opinion, would be Get Out.. I just watched it a couple weeks ago after all the crazy hype around it... and honestly, it was dreadfully stupid and hard to watch, despite some pretty decent acting.

Archived