Cleveland Browns Draft Scenarios

Shylo3716

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I'm sure they will definitely draft Josh Allen, a man they have yet to interview or dissect at the combine.

they should at least try to trade down if thats the case. At least to around 10 where it wont seem THAT much of a reach. Really if they are shooting for Allen. Barkley is who they should take with their No.1 pick. 

52 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I wonder if they will do what they had been doing in stockpiling picks or if Dorsey will go for the two top five talents and stay put.

I see Dorsey getting creative. The thing about CLE is that they have 56 players under contract (only premier FA is Crowell) and have all that money to spend in FA. Instead of using all those picks this year, the smart move will be to move them for future picks. They're due to have 26 free agents in 2019, multiple of which are proven starters. Also, you have keep in mind that the 2016/2017 picks were not "his" draft picks, but you can't just outright cut them as that would accrue significant dead cap... have to wait at least another year before getting rid of the top draft picks he may not want to move forward with from the previous regime. Combine that factor with the Browns going back to having a normal slate of draft picks in 2019, I can see them moving picks this year for future draft capital that Dorsey can actually take advantage of. He's going to be with the Browns for at least 3 years, so it makes most sense to spread the wealth over the next 3 drafts. 

Dorsey can trade #1 to DEN or NYJ if they feel good about a particular QB at 4; trade #4 if they acquire a QB with the top pick; or consider sending 2nd/3rd round picks (they have 4 picks between 33-65) for future 1st and 2nd round picks. 

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

they should at least try to trade down if thats the case. At least to around 10 where it wont seem THAT much of a reach. Really if they are shooting for Allen. Barkley is who they should take with their No.1 pick. 

Allen won't make it out of the top 10 IMO unless at least two of the QB needy teams in the top 10 sign starting QB's.

10 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Allen won't make it out of the top 10 IMO unless at least two of the QB needy teams in the top 10 sign starting QB's.

Then maybe draft him at 4. But it's entirely possible that Barkley may not even be there at 4. You are more likely to land both of those prospects in that order then going Allen first then try for barkley second. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Then maybe draft him at 4. But it's entirely possible that Barkley may not even be there at 4. You are more likely to land both of those prospects in that order then going Allen first then try for barkley second. 

It's risky because someone can jump them at 3 with Indy, then again, not that risky if Darnold and Rosen both declare.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

It's risky because someone can jump them at 3 with Indy, then again, not that risky if Darnold and Rosen both declare.

I think Darnold declares. Because while its true he could use some refinement. Other USC QB's did the same thing to either get a little better or to win one more championship and yet it just ended up hurting their draft stock. I think he'll break the trend in that regard. 

Just now, Calvert28 said:

I think Darnold declares. Because while its true he could use some refinement. Other USC QB's did the same thing to either get a little better or to win one more championship and yet it just ended up hurting their draft stock. I think he'll break the trend in that regard. 

For his sake, I agree he definitely should.  

40 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

For his sake, I agree he definitely should.  

This year was especially tough on him because the offense around him regressed. USC lost Adoree Jackson (played both ways), JuJu Smith-Schuster, Zach Banner, Damien Mama, Chad Wheeler, Darreus Rogers, Justin Davis, Jordan Simmons, Isaac Whitney, De’Quan Hampton, Taylor McNamara. That's 3 starting lineman, his top 3 WRs, and a ton of significant role players in one offseason. From one point of view, you look at what happened this year and expect that the young players improve; another point of view is being disappointed in the offensive scheme and desire to get the NFL ASAP to get a head start on the development/correct the bad habits developed in the 2017 season. 

I think he's 50/50. Don't expect him to make a decision until right before the deadline. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

This year was especially tough on him because the offense around him regressed. USC lost Adoree Jackson (played both ways), JuJu Smith-Schuster, Zach Banner, Damien Mama, Chad Wheeler, Darreus Rogers, Justin Davis, Jordan Simmons, Isaac Whitney, De’Quan Hampton, Taylor McNamara. That's 3 starting lineman, his top 3 WRs, and a ton of significant role players in one offseason. From one point of view, you look at what happened this year and expect that the young players improve; another point of view is being disappointed in the offensive scheme and desire to get the NFL ASAP to get a head start on the development/correct the bad habits developed in the 2017 season. 

I think he's 50/50. Don't expect him to make a decision until right before the deadline. 

For his sake, he should look at what happened to Matt Barkley and declare, but time will tell.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

For his sake, he should look at what happened to Matt Barkley and declare, but time will tell.

Very different. Matt Barkley was hyped as a top 10 pick by the media the way Jimmy Clausen was. Ultimately Barkley's physical limitations are what cost him. 

Archived