Cleveland Browns Draft Scenarios

Shylo3716

18 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I see Dorsey getting creative. The thing about CLE is that they have 56 players under contract (only premier FA is Crowell) and have all that money to spend in FA. Instead of using all those picks this year, the smart move will be to move them for future picks. They're due to have 26 free agents in 2019, multiple of which are proven starters. Also, you have keep in mind that the 2016/2017 picks were not "his" draft picks, but you can't just outright cut them as that would accrue significant dead cap... have to wait at least another year before getting rid of the top draft picks he may not want to move forward with from the previous regime. Combine that factor with the Browns going back to having a normal slate of draft picks in 2019, I can see them moving picks this year for future draft capital that Dorsey can actually take advantage of. He's going to be with the Browns for at least 3 years, so it makes most sense to spread the wealth over the next 3 drafts. 

Dorsey can trade #1 to DEN or NYJ if they feel good about a particular QB at 4; trade #4 if they acquire a QB with the top pick; or consider sending 2nd/3rd round picks (they have 4 picks between 33-65) for future 1st and 2nd round picks. 

The trick though.. they moved from 12 to 25 last year and got the 4th overall pick in 2018 out of it. That is an INCREDIBLE return. Honestly how can you risk that again. They won the lottery with that trade.

I get it with 1, if they moved that they are getting multiple 1st round picks. But they risk losing their QB, and they can't do that now. If they move 4, they may not get multiple 1sts. If they do, they are moving back to at least the mid-late teens, and more likely than not it would be with Arizona or Buffalo. I guess you can take that risk, but they already hit big with the texans trade. I don't see Dorsey doing that. 

Trade 33 for a 2019 1st imo

7 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

The trick though.. they moved from 12 to 25 last year and got the 4th overall pick in 2018 out of it. That is an INCREDIBLE return. Honestly how can you risk that again. They won the lottery with that trade.

I get it with 1, if they moved that they are getting multiple 1st round picks. But they risk losing their QB, and they can't do that now. If they move 4, they may not get multiple 1sts. If they do, they are moving back to at least the mid-late teens, and more likely than not it would be with Arizona or Buffalo. I guess you can take that risk, but they already hit big with the texans trade. I don't see Dorsey doing that. 

I agree with you, but you can still move down from 4 to around 10 and land a first next year (see Sammy Watkins trade). I can also see them trade down from 1 and use mid-later picks to move up from 4-to-3 in order to secure their QB. They have a lot of flexibility in that regard... There are so many things they can do (I bet they trade 5th/6th rounders for future 4th/5ths as well). 

I think the Browns are going to be the most active team and I don’t see them making 12 selections; they simply won’t be able to roster all their picks. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:
17 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I agree with you, but you can still move down from 4 to around 10 and land a first next year (see Sammy Watkins trade). I can also see them trade down from 1 and use mid-later picks to move up from 4-to-3 in order to secure their QB. They have a lot of flexibility in that regard... There are so many things they can do (I bet they trade 5th/6th rounders for future 4th/5ths as well). 

I think the Browns are going to be the most active team and I don’t see them making 12 selections; they simply won’t be able to roster all their picks. 

Totally agree with that. Cleveland will make 3 1st round picks imo. One of the 2nds will be traded in combination with later picks to move back up. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Dorsey's not getting cute in this draft. ....that was part of Sashi's problem, and he knows that. He'll want to make a statement by staying put and hitting on all those higher picks.

They are going to draft Darnold #1 overall, end of story, even if Darnold refuses to play for them, some team in the top 5, will have to pay them a lot of extra picks and roster players to secure Darnold for themselves, they will then draft Rosen and although I doubt either of these QB's would not sign with Cleveland, it could play out the same scenario all over again with Rosen and they end up with Jackson and a boatload of talent.

IMO, Darnold will end up being their pick and he will sign with Cleveland. Dorsey is respected around the league by agents and will be able to draft anybody he wants and get them to sign. I fully agree, that Dorsey will not get cute in this draft and his mind will be on picks rather than trade backs.

I will be shocked if he tries one trade back before round 2 or even 3!!! He has to know that his pwner's track record for FO's is a 2 year stint and he will stay in the present to get the job done.

If I was Cleveland I'd take Barkley first overall. It's extremely taboo at this point to take a RB first but he won't last to pick 4. I also don't see anyway Cleveland can take a chance on Mayfield after the Manziel debacle. Allen, Rosen, Rudolph or Jackson should be available at 4 because the Colts aren't going QB and I expect the Giants to go OT if the Browns take Barkley. The best bet for the Browns would be to take Barkley and Rudolph. Two extremely talented and mature players. 

If Darnold stays and Rosen does not want to come here, Dorsey does not like him, whatever the situation be. I would trade down with NYG and pick up a few picks, then draft Chubb. Then at 4 trade back with Den or NYJ to gain a few more picks let them take their QB and then take Minkah or Barkley.

We would HAVE to land one of the top FA QBs then. But a defense with Garrett, Chubb, Collins, Kirksey, Minkah, Peppers, and im sure a few high end FA signings hopefully at CB. There should be no reason to not have a top 10 defense. The right vet QB could push us in the right direction.

I think Dorsey would be 100% crazy to hand over another rookie QB to Hue to start. He's got to acquire a veteran spot starter. I still think a QB needs to be drafted at #1 but he's got to sit and learn until he's better prepared to play. In that scenario Rosen's pro readiness doesn't matter as much.

17 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

I think Dorsey would be 100% crazy to hand over another rookie QB to Hue to start. He's got to acquire a veteran spot starter. I still think a QB needs to be drafted at #1 but he's got to sit and learn until he's better prepared to play. In that scenario Rosen's pro readiness doesn't matter as much.

Mike Glennon? How many F.A QBs are okay with coming in for a year to tutor a rookie. I'd say starting them early on has more success than sitting team. Plus if they aren't what you hoped at least you know early on and can reset at the position.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:09 PM, lavar703 said:

If I was Cleveland I'd take Barkley first overall. It's extremely taboo at this point to take a RB first but he won't last to pick 4. I also don't see anyway Cleveland can take a chance on Mayfield after the Manziel debacle. Allen, Rosen, Rudolph or Jackson should be available at 4 because the Colts aren't going QB and I expect the Giants to go OT if the Browns take Barkley. The best bet for the Browns would be to take Barkley and Rudolph. Two extremely talented and mature players. 

I don't think there are any realistic scenarios where Barkley is NOT there at #4.

#1--Darnold

#2--Rosen

#3--Chubb

^^^^

I'd expect this to be the case at about 90% certainty right now, assuming no trades. And it's extremely unlikely someone would trade up that high for a RB.

Browns should just draft the best player at one... Barkley, build the offense around him

at 4- Darnold or Rosen should be there... if not, they would have the best defensive player in the draft Bradley Chubb

say they get Darnold at 4

Offense firepower

QB: Darnold

RB: Barkley

WR: Coleman, Gordan Higgins 

RB/WR: Duke

OL: Thomas, Bitino, Tretter, Coleman, Zeiltler

DL: Garrett, Coley, Shelton, Ogbah

LB: Orchard, Collins, Kirksey

DB: Taylor, Mccourtney, Peppers, Nacua

try to improve secondary in free agency, and maybe upgrade the players in bold rest of the draft and FA. Would be great for them to land a franchise qb and the best player in the draft..

Archived